UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

November's Normal Niggles

merledogs

Sam..........I keep looking at the cycle challenge..........I'm too old, too unfit and cripes knows how I'll raise the sponsor money but I'm so tempted. It's a bucket list kind of thing (or could be the bucketing of me :mad1: ).

have a chat with Amanda who is the Dogstar organiser , she has done a similar charity ride her self and visited us here so she is quite a wealth of information on both the training and fund-raising side of things as well as Sri Lanka . Amanda will be here during the ride as part of the support crew as her husband Dave is one of our riders :)

All the riders will be very welcome to come and stay with Mark and I post ride to give their tired legs a chance to recover and to see the Dogstar work that they will be helping fund. We are so excited about it and we would love to see you :pinkie:

Amanda on 01620 829711 or [email protected]

Aaarrrgghh I have to vent! I followed an open backed truck down the busy A66 this morning. It had a big dog - one of the bull breeds - loose in the load area. He/she wasn't restrained in any way and was moving about taking a look out of both sides. Heaven only knows what would become of it in the event of an accident :ohmy: There was plenty of room in the cab for the dog as only the driver was in there. He was driving slow for the road - 40mph - but that's fast enough to severely injure the dog or even kill it had it decided to jump. The fact he was driving so slow on the main arterial route east to west through Cumbria could in itself cause an accident as people were getting very impatient sitting behind in the queue he'd caused to build up.

I hope a police car spots him and gives him a talking too. I tried to memorise his number plate to report him myself but by the time I got home it had gone :(

I had my diabetic 6 month review this morning and have lost 12lbs since the last one plus all the tests came back spot on!

• Like 2

Thats good news Marian :cheer: Cant believe anyone would think it safe to have a loose dog in the back of an open truck - do you think the driver actually knew it was there?

Took Nog to the vets for his check up this morning - hes a bit of a mystery at the moment theres been no vomiting all weekend but then again with the antacids and the bland food I wouldn't have expected any, besides he hadn't been sick every day anyway just every few days which could range from a couple of times a week to once every 2-3 weeks. :unsure: his tummy was tense when she tried to feel it but she thinks thats just because he thought she might squeeze it - he relaxed as soon as she stood up and he let me poke and prod it without any reaction, his teeth are fine and he's bright as a button so we can try getting him back eating his real food today (yeah thats gonna be easy when hes had chicken and cottage cheese all weekend lol) keep the tramadol for a few days with antacids then back to previcox towards the middle of the week - if he throws up when we restart the previcox then she'll run blood tests and possibly do a scan, if he doesnt throw up then we assume it was just a sore tummy and we try and make him eat something regularly to keep food in his tummy and avoid acid build up.

Ooo Alicia are you OK?

Bloody hell Alicia. You don't do things by half!

Good to read Nog's update. I hope he keeps his recovery up :flowers: Archie is going to the vet this afternoon because of his acid problem. Although an antacid tablet soothes him the acid is coming back too regularly now. In the past a Rennie or spoonful of Gaviscon would sort it out (given on vet advice) and he would be fit until the next bout of acid which might be weeks or even months later. This latest acid problem is coming back every couple of days so we shall see what our new vet makes of it.

I've just found out that a former boss and his wife have lost their eldest son who was found dead at their home aged 33 :(

My former boss ran a family business with his brother. They were great bosses and I like and respect them both very much. They had a younger brother who tragically died as a result of motorbike accident aged just 18. The second brother named his eldest son after this brother and in an awful case of history repeating itself this son was also killed at age 18 after coming off his motorbike :(

And now for another brother to have lost his eldest son - its just so cruel :mecry:

I didn't know my bosses' brother but I did know both their sons for the first few years of their lives. I am gutted that tragedy has once again visited the family. As I say they were brilliant to work for, the best bosses I have ever had and are very community minded doing lots of volunteer work since their early retirement.

I've written a sympathy card but words seem so futile but at least they will know I am thinking of them. I still can't believe it!

We are back from the vets and Archie has heart murmur! It's only grade 2 and the vet says it's nothing to worry about - but I will! She says he can still do his agility and flyball but we should be sensible about his exercise.

He was prescribed some meds for his acid problem but they were out of one of them but it will be ordered tonight and in by 10.30am tomorrow. Shame as I wanted to get him started on it right away.

I am orf to Google grade 2 heart murmurs!

Chill and stop panicking....

China has around grade 3, known about it since just after she came to live with me nearly 5 years ago. Not got any worse in that time. Only went on meds (benazacare) this summer because she is still mad as a box of frogs and as she is coming up to 7 we thought be proactive and start to give her heart some support now while she still runs around the beach for an hour at a time.

Cassie has around a 5/6 murmur. Been the same since she came to live with me 4 years ago, she had spent the first 6 years churning out pups so no care at all for it during that time. She goes on lead if there are other people around simply because she is a brat who rushes up to everyone to say hello, closely followed by the rest of the pack which can be intimidating. She is out for the same length of time as the others and if we are alone or with friends she is offlead and scampers around. She is on vetmedin twice a day.

The only thing I watch with those 2 (apart from if they slow down when running) is to not overdo things when it is hot. Normally we have a max 1 hour walk however if we are going on group events they can be out for several hours.

Edited by buddyboy