UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Holiday Clothes Help

loobie

Help !!!

As most of you are aware I am going on holiday on 10th November for 2 weeks to Sri Lanka :) :)

I haven't left the UK for 27 years so consequently I don't have a clue on what I need to take with me. Amy did say I would need to have my shoulders and knees covered if I am going into temples etc

If anyone has any suggestions I would be soooo grateful

Lucky you :biggrin:

I am probably not the best person to ask as I pack the kitchen sink :laugh: On the way home from Mexico, I was actually over on my luggage and had to rejig things from suitcase to hand luggage (I was allowed 23kg + 7kg hand luggage - I had 24.6 +7kg hand luggage :rolleyes: )

Anyhow, I took 4 pairs of shorts (and wore them all), 7/8 vest tops, 9 dresses - 7 for night time and 2 for by the beach (and wore them all). A kaftan, 3 bikinis, a few pairs of socks, bras, knickers etc. I did actually wear pretty much everything. I took my crocs with me, but didn't wear those as I lived in my flip flops. Only reason they came was because if I was staying at my original hotel, the beach was quite rocky, so you needed them to get into the sea. As it was, I didn't need them.

Not sure how much things like sunscreen in Sri Lanka costs, but I always tend to take a few different factors of sunscreen and hope I don't run out. Fly repellant is a must, take lots of after sun. I thought that one tub of after sun body butter would be enough - it wasn't. It ran out after the first week, so I used my soap and glory moisturiser. Unfortunately this smells yummy, and the mosquitoes agreed, so take proper after sun and it won't smell of chocolate and vanilla :laugh:

You will find trying to buy summer clothes at this time of the year quite tricky. I have always found Asda to have a reasonable range of holiday clothes, you could also try Matalan/Primark for cheap vest tops.

I always take lots of first aid stuff with me. After bite is a good thing to take, you dab onto mozzie bites and it soothes the itching. I always take lots of immodium/rehydration sachets with me, although touch wood, I haven't needed them yet :)

Am sure Sam/Amy will be along with more specific Sri Lanka advice though! mine is just general warm country advice :)

Light and floaty stuff is best with it being rather humid over there although weather may change in November.

I did take a waterproof for the rain but I never wore it. Its not so bad when its warm and rainy.

H&Ms have still got reasonable priced vest tops for the more touristy areas. Normal t-shirts are fine for the the temples. If you wear dresses you might like to pack light ones.

Would recommend getting a good pair of flipflops/ sandals that you are comfortable wearing. Its too hot for wearing trainers.

I always pack light, but it does depend on what you want to do, but then I don't think I have lots of clothes!

I usually start with a list of potential activities and work out what I would need to wear for each.

I will also see if things can be doubled up, so a pair of trousers for day that can be made dressy for the evening with a different top. A light cotton shirt can be used to cover up from too much sun and used in a temple visit. Or a sarong can be used to sit on, on the beach and again as a cover up for temples. In Thailand lots of ladies used a large scarf / shawl to cover their shoulders (and as an evening cover up if they got chilly) sounds weird but sometimes the temperature drop between night and day (or sunburn) can make you feel cold.

I am happy to wash / rinse clothes when I am away if needs be and light summer clothes can usually be rinsed and dried in a sink and shower rail. In mozzie places we ha some great travel clothes wash that had mosquito repellent in, worked wonders for not getting bitten.

I would take a day bag, like a rucksack that I can put water, camera, sun screen etc into that is easy to carry rather than in my handbag.

If doing lots of walking make sure you have suitable shoes, I can't sight see loads in flip flops as it kills my back so I would wear sandals.

Roll on holiday time!

xxx

I dont know how accurate the thing about Avon stuff is. I would definately get proper mosquito repellant as well with minimum 50% DEET as they do bite- and bite harder than the midges in this country. I used Jungle Formula Maximum - cheapest place to get it is Savers for about £2.99 compared to the extorionate £8.99 in Tesco!! I only managed to get one bite when away and I sprayed every day - I had the bite on my arm for at least a week after I cam home. My friend has more bites though we discovered one of her repellants didnt have DEET in so was quickly binned. Most hotels will have a plug in mosquito repellant in the room as well.

Edited by lil_angel

• 4 weeks later...

We have plug in mozzie repellents here; I don't use any sprays or nets myself

For the tourist beach areas pretty much anything goes but at Dogstar its more conservative as its a residential village so 3 quarter length trousers are ideal and vest tops, as Amy said nothing heavy on your feet so crocs or flip flops are best

For temples / schools you do need to cover knees, shoulders and any tattoos and remove any hats and even sun glasses from your head

We have a washing machine here so you can wash any clothes before you travel on

We also have some great local shops if you forget anything or need extras

I think hands will be okay , people may stare a bit as they really don't see many tattoos here and the men that do have them only have black ones

we meet a lad last year who had a lot of artwork on his arms , legs and torso and the locals called him "picture boy" :)

my tattoo is on the small of my back and one of my staff saw it when my top rode up when I bent down once and EVERYONE queued up to look at it !

• Like 1

• 1 month later...