UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

October's Ongoing Oration

merledogs

Happy birthday Griff xxx

I have been very busy congratulating myself for apparently avoiding Robs truly awful cold that he's had ever since we came back from holiday and which has so far meant him having to take several days off work or working from home it has been a proper rough cold not "man flu" and I have been very sympathetic whilst at the same time very pleased that I haven't had any sign of it - in fact I had been feeling really well ...... until yesterday when out of the blue I developed a bit of a chesty cough - no other symptoms just a rattly intermittent chesty cough. However today I am feeling a bit bleeuuurgh cough is now persistent and as the day has gone on I have started to feel weaker and now my face feels all warm - ho hum looks like I wasn't immune to his cold after all but I seem to have gotten a different variety of symptoms, deep joy.

Happy Birthday, Griff.

Alex, how are your lot now?

Well done Archie with the flyball, it's great exercise.

Have had a panic here as we went tracking in woodland yesterday morning, and Wispa was poorly in the evening. Worried about seasonal illness, was at point of rushing her to emergency vet but she started to pick up after I syringe fed her some chicken broth to keep salts and fluids up, and was soon drinking and eating by herself. She is still very quiet and tired but much better.

Welcome back Jazz

Happy birthday Griff :) As for the advice, I am hopeless at knowing whether a guy is interested in me. I tend to get on really well with guys and have flirty banter with them, even when they are taken :unsure: I usually need them to make it obvious, and even then am not sure if it is just one great big joke/bet :unsure: I do have a lot more confidence in myself now, so am more able to take compliments :)

Hope Wispa is feeling better soon :flowers:

Glad you had a good time Jazz :)

Hope your bug goes away soon Snow :flowers:

Not much to report here, just plodding along with work, gym etc.

• Like 1

Poor you Merledogs... fancy being forced to play on the dodgems.... it's a tough life sometimes!

Thanks Gooster, it is my bus driver again Lol... i am so confused

i did have a good birthday thankyou, i went for a couple of beers last night and i feel a bit rough this morning but i had a real laugh

Welcome back Jazz.

I hope Wispa is back to her normal healthy self today.

Can you still find dodgems? I though the elf and safety mob had put a stop to them.

I took Archie to the park this morning and he ran away and left me and refused to come when called! He has never ever done anything like that in all of his 10 years. We met up with an ex neighbour and his lurcher, Stan, who Archie took a fancy too this morning and skipped ahead to play and sniff about with Stan. I let him go so far then started calling and whistling because I'd planned to exit the park from a different entrance.

Paul and Stan turned a corner in the park and went out of sight - and Archie went with them! I thought that once Archie realised I was no longer in sight he'd come racing back to look for me so took the opportunity to have a sit down whilst I waited because my joints were complaining muchly. After a couple of minutes and no Archie I went in search of him. Across the park I spotted Stan but only because he is huge and white but couldn't see Archie although because he is mainly black and small and Stan was under the trees where it is very shadowed I thought Archie could have still been there.

Then I spotted Paul going out thro the gate with Stan in tow and I got a bit panicky that Archie might try and follow. Then suddenly Paul turned around and came back and appeared to be talking to a group of dog walkers. As I got nearer I realised Paul had come back because of Archie and was now holding on to him firmly by his harness. I called to Archie as I was within 50 ft of him by this time so Paul let him go and Archie ran hell for leather - to another dog walker! I kept calling and whistling and waving my arms and he then turned and ran like stink to me.

I was trying to work out this very unusual behaviour when it came to me. I think Archie is going deaf! It fits with what happened the other night when we had thunder. I clearly heard it and rushed to turn the volumes up on the tv and radio. I thought I had managed to drown it out before Archie heard it as he had no reaction to it but now I think he didn't actually hear it! When I was calling and whistling for him the final time in the park I think he could hear me then but could not get a direction on it which is why he ran to the other dog walker. He was turning his head as though he was looking for me and when he spotted the mad woman waving her arms he finally realised that was me and ran over. Although it doesn't explain why he went off in the first place and didn't come back when I was out of sight which is something he has always done up until now. Puzzling!

Edited for spellinz

Edited by Yantan

It is frightening when that happens Yantan.

I found when my dogs started to get deaf they could still hear a dog whistle as it had a higher pitch and was louder than me shouting or whistling. A loud whistle then exaggerated waving worked.

Once they were totally deaf my other dog would go and round them up for me.

As for going off without you, remember he has been going out without you when he goes with the dog walker. He probably follows her dog around and was doing the same with the lurcher.

May have to consider Nog going back to the vet again - off and on over the past couple of months we've had one or 2 incidents of him being sick with bright bright yellow bile - it hasnt really been regular and we've always at the time put it down to something we may have given him to eat and a few times theres been grass in the bile - each time it happens I stop his previcox for that day and start again the next day and I have discussed this with the vet and she agreed thats the best way to handle it. However, the sickness is growing in frequency - again as its coincided with the drama after his stay in kennels I have tended to put it down to that and he was given Zitac to settle his tummy when he was all tucked up and on the opiates etc. but I stopped the zitac last week as he was pretty much back to normal. On Monday morning I woke up and my feet felt damp and I discovered Nog had been sick all over them in the night :confused: thankfully it had gone through the duvet and mattress protector but stopped short of the mattress, so I threw the duvet out (it was barely 2 months old) and bought a new one (thank goodness for Argos value range) washed all the bedding etc.. .... this morning while I was in work Nog was sick in the conservatory. I came home lunch time and Nog was his normal bright self but as we were eating lunch I saw him salivating and his feet were bright bright yellow - he'd been sick again all over my bed - right through the new duvet, and the mattress protector and this time through to the mattress itself. Now this isn't "sick" sick its bright yellow bile - it doesn't smell and is mostly liquid - there is no blood and no froth etc. and not 5 mins later he was helping himself to his dry food and a drink - he's not in the least bit tucked up or sore around his tummy in any way but I have given him a Zitac to settle any lingering acid etc.

I think I'm going to keep him on the Zitac with his previcox for a couple of days and see how we go then stop the zitac and see if the sickness reappears - if it does then back to the vet as it'll clearly be the previcox which will be a bit of a bugger as he does need that with his wonky leg.

Hope Nog's tum settles down.

Yantan, Polly behaved much like that when she started to lose her hearing. It takes them a while to adjust.

Wispa is now acting like a normal dog, which is not by any means a normal Wispa. She has stopped moping around like a wet hen but is not yet back to her usual manic self.

Moaning :tired:

Marion : maybe he's got more confidence in himself cos of being out with the dog walkers and mixing more with other dogs, hence the running off? I hope he's not going deaf but if he is I'm sure nobody could look after him better than you :flowers:

Snow : hope you get to the bottom of nogs sickiness :flowers:

We went off to the Trafford Centre after work and had a game of pool, then went on the dodgems and went for tapas at La Tasca (which was disgusting).