UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Augusts All Talking

Jazz

i am sure i must have had it done at the hospital but i don't remember it being uncomfortable. my aunty says the one she goes to uses drops or something? he should be carfel anyway i think as his mum had glaucoma.

Jazz, i hope you get your paint mixed right, i think it is dead clever that they can mix paint to virtually anything you take in

I go to the local hospital once a year for a diabetic eye check and find the puff test a breeze (did ya see what I did there, did ya?) I love looking at the inner workings of my eyes on their computer screen as the technician is always happy to let me have a look. I can never get over the fact that I am looking at my eyes in such detail.

Griff if it's meant to be it's meant to be and if not - well better to find out now that your knight in shining armour is more like a t.wat in tinfoil.

I did not write git!

Edited by Yantan
  • Like 3

oooooo i have never looked at my eyes on a screen, how interesting!!

Yantan, you are right but i just find the whole thing annoying and quite upsetting, i don't mind somebody having a laugh with me..in fact quite the opposite but i am not much keen on being the butt of somebodys joke. ahhh well back to the old me, no more of this soft nonsense.

I have air puff test every year with eye test because mum has glaucoma, which is well controlled thank goodness. I am the biggest wimp ever but didn't have a problem. The only problem I had was that the nice optician showed me the photos and I nearly threw up because I hate things like that. I didn't like to say "yuck, take it away" as it was good of her to keep me in the picture and explain everything.

Still up in the air with the musical houses situation.

I have a dilemma - there's every chance that our USA holiday is back on albeit that we will be going to Florida rather than New York now this will inevitably involve lots of walking and lots and lots of standing (it would have in NY too). Whilst I haven't mentioned much about it my back is getting worse and worse and I know I really should go see about it but I haven't for lots of reasons mostly down to me thinking it'll "get better" and being fairly sure some of it is menopause related (its worse depending on my cycle) so theres going to be naff all they can do anyway apart from prescribe NSAIDS which I've got here anyway. I am now starting to have it affect my mobility - standing is the worst, it doesn't take long at all for my lower back to go into a spasm and it is excruciating with pain radiating up and down my leg. Once I have changed positions (usually just by sitting down even if just for 5 seconds) it's fine again for another little while. Walking I've slowed down a fair bit but I'm fine so long as I can have a wee sit down every now and again - but needing to sit for a couple of mins an awful awful lot sooner & more frequently than I ever used to have to do. This bothers me that I would be slowing Rob down or maybe even stopping him from doing something he would like to do because I can't make it that far. A couple of times recently I've parked myself on a bench and people watched whilst he went for a longer wander. However - I've just found out that Orlando is apparently one of the most motability friendly places in the world. Every one of the theme parks have a limited amount of the powered scooters for guests with mobility problems so provided I get there early enough hiring one shouldn't be a problem - but I am in 2 minds about it - I do not consider myself "disabled" I can & do still walk just not as comfortably or as far as I used to or would like. If you were me would you consider using one or would you just "manage"?

All the theme parks are massive snow and involve an awful lot of walking. There are lots of places to sit obviously, but if you are in a queue for a ride you could be there for an hour if it's busy and there's nowhere to sit. Mind you if you have mobility problems they may have a different way of doing things as you wouldn't be in the queue with a scooter.

Edited by merledogs

Snow, if it is going to make your holiday easier and more enjoyable then do it! better to accept a bit of help than end up hurting yourself and not enjoying your time in the states. you are going to spend a fair amount of cash on a much deserved holiday so it should be full of good memories and not scattered with bits where you couldn't do something or remembering being in pain

Snow it's a no brainer. Hire a scooter. However I do think you should go see someone about your back also. If you're having problems you need to see someone. They will find out exactly what the matter is and may be able to help you physically. Chiropracter is it? Sure Sam will be along to advise soon

Griff bloke could be talking about the wrong person. I'm sure they're not laughing at you. Probably taking the mick out of the chap concerned affectionately and he will have been flattered. It's nice to think someone out there has a thing for us whether we're attached or not. If it turns out he's not available don't harden yourself. The person available and worthy of you is going to be a lovely individual.

I have the air puff thing as we have glaucoma in my dad's line so have to have it checked. It's the fact it takes you by surprise, always makes me jump and blink at the wrong moment. It's nothing to worry about and I don't mind having it done but I always feel a nuisance cos I can't seem to stare for too long without needing to blink.

Trying to add loads of stuff to the website and just when I'm able to have a good go at it and finish it off the camera has decided it needs recharging so I can't get at the pics. Grr.

From what I have seen The Americans don't consider then disabled to use them either Snow just mobily impaired. Hire one and use it, especially if it will improve your holiday. But I do agree with Michelle get it looked at sooner rather than later. I have seen an osteopath, chiropractor and physio for my back and neck since I was 16 years old. What you need to do is find a practitioner that suits you, not just their therapy but their outlook on life too. A friend went to my osteopath as be was tired of being told my other therapists to give up the sports he loved. Instead this osteopath worked with him to improve and understand the challenges and problems be incurred and what he could do to help whilst still doing what he loved.

Learning over for the weekend and it is home time now :-) the sun is also finally shining 😄

I will look at booking an eye test I don't know the last time I had my eyes checked but guessing around uni time or before. Don't recall it post Uni.

Snow, hire a scooter, you want to enjoy your holiday, not spend it in pain :flowers: I would also look into going to see an osteopath - I fell off Blue a few years ago and smacked my head on a fence. From then on I had terrible neck pain, saw my GP who referred me to a physio, which didn't really help. Saw an osteopath privately and she sorted me in 2 sessions :)

Glad everyone is brave and has the pressure test done when they have their eyes tested. It is so important, it doesn't tend to matter if you blink as the machine is pretty quick at getting the readings :)

I intend to see about my back - whats been stopping me is that I am pretty sure it'll get dismissed as "you need to lose some weight" which I know I do, however my weight has never ever affected my back before the stool collapsed and sent me crashing to the floor and against the handle on the kitchen cabinet last year when we were moving in to the bungalow. There's another strange effect which I'm not going to post about on a public forum which I think could well be connected and which to my mind seems to point to either a trapped nerve or a damaged nerve but which could be totally unconnected.