UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

June's Jolly Jawings

merledogs

My boiler decided to forget how to make hot water this morning :rolleyes: Was in the shower when it suddenly went stone cold - most unpleasant when you have a head full of conditioner :laugh: :angry: I have reset the boiler, so hopefully all will be good now :)

Thanks for the hugs guys, I really need a proper hug at the moment, just feeling really down. When I got home last night, there was a statement from the vets - for the MRI and the op, the bill is just over £3k. The insurance will pay £2.5k :unsure:

I've done Costco and B&Q. I didn't buy another Rhodo, nope not me :whistle: Well it was only £11 in Costco for a size I normally pay £30 for so it would have been rude not to. Plus the poor thing was so dehydrated I felt sorry for it and had to rehome it.

Finished agility for the day before lunch :) Which means I've had time to do some gardening - sorted the pots in the front out and planted the last of the fuschias and geraniums. It was our 8th wedding anniversary this week, and MIL gave us a clematis, so that's been planted too. Just contemplating at trip up the garden center to get something to fill in a few of the gaps in the flower bed.

Have been to see Dad. We were all sat out in the garden which was nice. Met some more of the inmates.

Managed to do a load of gardening this morning and a bit tonight

Happy anniversary Sophie

Edited by Jacobean

Hoping Ted improves fairly soon Jane. My little dachshund had a ruptured disc two years ago and we decided rightly or wrongly, not to have it operated on. He had steroids and pain killers and rest, rest and more rest. At first he took one step, then two and just gradually built up. Once he could walk better I took him for short strolls and before too long he could go out with the others. I have to admit we thought we would loose him, not because he would die, but because we could not give him a quality of life. We researched wheels and there are lots of other aids available. He walks in an odd fashion, but never the less he walks and it was just sheer will power that got him through it. Throughout all of it he never lost his appetite or sparkle in his eyes.

Jayne when Nog had his major ops on his leg he took a very long long time before he would use it without a cast or support - in fact we'd pretty much thought he never would properly use it again despite the op as he just didn't seem to trust the leg. It was months before he would willingly put weight on it even after hydro therapy and with me doing physio on the leg 3 or 4 times a day every day he would still hop more than he would walk, I would say it was almost a year before he started to use all 4 legs regularly. Nowadays he only hops if he's over done things, we were told he'd always be mechanically lame, with a bit of a limp and that he'd never again be able to trot - I guess they forgot to tell Nog that as he has never limped, he walks stiffly when he's tired or first thing in the morning when he gets up but as soon as he starts to move and stretch he loosens up, a bit like me really lol The surgeon was astonished when he saw Nog trotting so much so he made us go back and let him film Nog trotting up and down the car park so he could write another paper on him. When running he uses all 4 legs unless he wants to go flat out then he kinda switches to 3 though you'd only notice if you looked at him carefully, yesterday afternoon he hurdled the giant planters on the patio not once but twice and stood there grinning at me ever so proud of himself whilst I explained to him he was 12 not 2 and with a wonky leg to boot!

Nog has definitely slowed down these days he prefers to amble along on lead and he's no longer up for miles and miles of walking but then he's almost 13 now and I would have expected that any way at his age and with his arthritis but he still has short mad bursts around the garden, plays chase me chase me with Sal and has invented his own game of hopscotch which he seems to love, leaping from one patio slab to the next and back again so as to avoid walking on the stone chippings which he finds uncomfortable on his feet and he'll do that over and over again every day grinning like a loon as he does so.

I've never regretted putting him through the op and all the hard work and time it took to get him fit again hopefully it'll be the same with Ted and once it clicks in his mind that his back isn't going to give out on him any more he'll have a whole new lease of life.

• Like 1