UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Question For Our Globe Trotting Squirrel!

gooster

Just wanting to pick your brains really (and anyone else's who has travelled a lot).

Is it worth paying the extra money to turn left when you board a plane instead of right? I have the chance to upgrade to premium class on the flight to Mexico, but am not sure whether it will be worth the extra. I struggle to sleep on planes, and have often wished seats have a foot rest (which the ones in premium class do), so I can curl up and relax instead of being sat upright trying to sleep...

Sods law states that the flight I am on is one of the most expensive ones to upgrade on, with them charging £419 :rolleyes: I do have the funds to pay it, but is it really worth it?

I guess i would start with What's the difference between economy and premium economy on the airline you are flying with

Emirates who I fly with don't have a class between economy and business but I did pay to fly prem economy on Delta to the states and the extra pitch and width made the journey way more comfty

Have a look at the seat guru website for specific feedback on your plane and also try the flyer talk forums

Another thing i would look at when weighing up costs is Do you get any extra luggage allowances or access to airport lounges or additional onboard services when you upgrade

Thanks Sam

According to the Thomson brochure premium class has

38" pitch with foot rest compared to 33/34"

9" seatback tv with pause and rewind buttons compared to 7inch normal tv

More films

Free noise cancelling headphones

23kg luggage compared to 20kg

4 course meal

Food before landing

Free drinks

Priority checkin and boarding

Fast track through security

Free select your seat

Pampering 'goodies' including free blanket and pillow

I will be flying on the new 787 Dreamliner, not sure if seat guru have the seating plan yet, but there won't be any feedback about the service as Thomson don't fly the Dreamliner till July 8th.

Part of me thinks as I am such a big plane nerd, that this could be a great opportunity to fly on a brand new plane in the posh bit. The next holiday I go on, hopefully I won't be travelling alone, so it won't just be my money I am wanting to spend to upgrade. Then another part thinks that it is a hell of a lot of money that could do a lot more than buy me a nicer plane journey :unsure:

No business class - am flying with Thomson. Will be in the air for 21 hours in total there and back, so it works out at ~£20 per hour in the air, which when you put it like that makes the cost seem more reasonable.

I asked Thomson why it was so much more expensive than their starting price for premium class, and they said it's because it's the Dreamliner, and the premium class on that aircraft is much better than on the 767 :unsure:

Compare the standard on the Dreamliner to the standard on another flight you have been on.

If the Dreamliner is the plane I am thinking of the seats were overall bigger than other Boeing flights I have been on so there was more room to snuggle up and get comfy.

You can also buy inflatable foot rests that are pretty comfortable. I did this on a Virgin flight years ago as my feet didn't touch the floor which made for an incredible painful journey on my back as I didn't have a bag or anything to chuck on the floor to out my feet on. Teach me to travel light!!

Well, I have been to Mexico twice before, the last time I had an emergency exit seat there and back and had plenty of room to spread out. The time before I was only 15, so had no choice in the matter :laugh:

The last time I flew with Thomson, the seats were pretty uncomfortable and the flight lasted forever and a day - was so glad to stretch out when we landed and I got off - this was on a 757. The 787 will have more room anyway as it's a long haul plane, but economy will still be quite crammed I imagine :unsure:

I am hopeless at making decisions :laugh:

My in laws always fly premium economy - we generally stick to economy. However, flying back from Tobago earlier this year, FIL collapsed on the plane and had to be taken off in an ambulance, and OH and I ended up sitting in their seats on the way back. It definitely made a difference in terms of comfort, and I'd look into paying the extra on any longer flights I take. £419 for it does seem quite a bit though.

£419 is very cheap for an upgrade, for us to fly to New York the upgrade price is £650 each and we are seriously considering paying it (or waiting to book until theres a sale on lol) after our last economy flight from the USA I wont travel cattle class again unless its the only possible way to get there.

:ninja: I went to pay a bit off my holiday today, and I asked the travel agent whether it is worth the extra expense. I asked them how many seats were left, so they checked and there were only 3 seats left (she showed me on the screen), so being a plane spotter/nerd, I have decided to go for it :) It's worth a go, and if it is rubbish, I just won't upgrade again :) 141 days to go :biggrin:

As a nervous flyer, who can get claustrophobic , (the combination of which can lead to panic attacks), I will now only fly long haul if we upgrade. So we don't often do it, but it was the only way OH could persuade me to go to New Zealand lol.

Hope you you enjoy it !

Edited by Maria

Gooster, for what it is worth... if it is something you want to do and you can afford it then i say go for it! you work hard for your dosh and life is too short for missed opportunities, however i do think that that price is a tad steep (but thats me being a tight git)