UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

May's Mundane Mutterings

merledogs

Thank you, I have never been there before when we have had one of them put to sleep. I was in the gym in a spinning class when mum rang the gym, one of the instructors came to get me out of the class to let me know. The vet was due between 7 and 7.30, and my class finished at 6.45, so I sped back to mum and dad's (left Mr G to put my stuff away). I had about 20 mins with her before Katie the vet arrived. It wasn't our usual practice, as we have always said we would send them to the bridge from home no matter how much it costs, and our practice don't do home visits, so we used our emergency out of hours practice. They were fantastic, I knew Katie from flyball, and she was so good with us all. Made the situation as nice as it could be.

Bet Archie wishes he had his tuna steaks after 5.5 hours walking!! Glad next door enjoyed them though :-) xxx

Did someone say they had sun? Could they share please we have moved into winter already and it is grey, cold and wet!

Am not a happy owl. Up till 3 this morning. Early evening, I had a call because my mother had fallen in the porch while answering the front door to a cold caller from a charity. She never normally opens the door or answers the doorbell. Had argument on phone with a paramedic who wanted her to go into A&E when I wanted her to stay at home (her last carer was due any minute) until I got there and for the GP to be called. He put his foot down and took her to hospital because he thought she might have an inner ear infection, she told him she had fallen because she felt dizzy. Got to A&E and waited 2 hours. Doctor arrived, very nice man, told me he had no reason to suspect an ear infection because she had told him she had not felt dizzy before she fell. He thought she might have water infection. I said this was unlikely but she was being treated for chest infection. Didn't mention that in February she was discharged from hospital with water infection because test results got bogged down in paperwork and arrived 3 weeks later.

By coincidence I am due to meet with the ward manager to discuss my complaint that she was kept on bed rest last month for a week after she had been declared fit for discharge, due to red tape. Also my other complaint that a Do Not Resuscitate decision had been made without discussion with me.

At half past midnight the A&E team decided she was to stay in for night as she was still awaiting mobility assessment. That is what took a week last time! Going round in circles here and am probably getting a reputation as a bossy relative.

Mum has a nasty bump on head with contusion, which was completely missed by paramedic and spotted by A&E doctor. If I had known she had a head injury I would have immediately agreed to her going in. Everyone seems to be more worried about whether she is being properly looked after than about the bump on head.

Edited by owl

So sorry Jayne xx

Owl, they were speaking on the BBC Breakfast programme about how A&E departments are struggling and many are left with junior doctors in charge at night...possibly whoever it was that wanted your mum kept in was scared of getting it wrong if he/she let her home. Hopefully there will be senior people there today who can deal with things properly without you having to give them a good peck! Has your mum got one of those "No Cold Callers" signs for her door? Mind you, I have and I still get them, I've got quite rude I'm afraid and asked them if they have a problem with reading. One woman said I'm not a cold caller, I'm here to talk to you about the Bible. I'm afraid my response was somewhat less than holy!

I have no cold caller signs on my door and front gate and heaven help the bugger that ignores them! I am glad mummy Owl has her baby Owl to stand up for her. Oooh it seems wrong to call our wise old owl a baby but I hope she knows I meant it in the nicest possible way. Ooooh and now I've called her "old". I am going to stop digging.