UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

May's Mundane Mutterings

merledogs

I'm sitting here quietly fuming we have mil staying with us tonight as she dog sat for us to go out for a meal for our anniversary, she made several very pointed remarks about how happy and settled Sal is with us and how Sal thinks that this is now her home, to which Rob replied that she'd settle back in at her own home when she goes back to mum, mil quickly changed the subject and ignored him. Later on she said something else about Sal so Rob asked if she was missing her, mil said yes she had "at first but was now getting used to not having her" so Rob said well don't get too used to it as she'll be going home with you once you are all sorted, mil then made a very non comittal sound and said "perhaps" so Rob said very clearly that Sal was her dog and she is only with us temporarily until mum is back on her feet and she said "well I don't know when that will be - it'll probably be a long time" then decided she was going to bed. Sal is NOT our dog, everyone in the family has just assumed because we have a dog that we'll be the ones to take Sal on and assumes we'll keep her open endedly. Not one person has even bothered to ask us if thats OK with us, or if having Sal here is a problem.

I'm really cross, theres no way I would see Sal have to be rehomed outside the family, but at the same time shes not an ideal fit for us and I am growing more resentful by the day that no one has even bothered to offer to have Sal with them even for a few days so we can go see Nick & Vicky or just have a bit of a break from her.

If you MIL does not want her back and Sal does have to be rehomed then I don't see why it can't be outside the family , if she is not a good fit for you and no one else in the family is prepared to take her then it might be the only option

its very unfair on you and Sal if its not working now, she would be happier in the right fit home and you should not be emotionally blackmailed into taking on a dog

maybe you need to call everyones bluff and set a deadline for her to return home or set in motion rehoming , at the moment it sounds like its easier for everyone to pretend you are happy with the current situation

I suppose the answer to the last bit of your post is to either volunteer yourself, or if that's impossible, try to get friendly with someone who does, so you can get facts from the horse's mouth. When we first took our dogs to the kennels we use, we were shown round beforehand, but when you take the dogs in they don't let you go round to the kennels with them. Apparently it's less upsetting for the dogs that way, but suspicious minds might wonder what you aren't being allowed to see. I hasten to add, I'm more than happy with them, our two are raring to go the minute we get them out of the car and happy to see the kennel staff, but I have read of a cattery where clients were shown a lovely chalet...only to find their cats were cooped up in a dark dingy shed once they were out of sight. Nothing is certain in this world, except death and taxes, as they say!

I'm referring to rescue kennels rather than boarding kennels when I ask who can we really trust to look after the dogs in the best possible manner. Boarding kennels are at least regulated and inspected and the few I have had reason to take notice of all advertise that owners can turn up during working hours without an appointment to have a look around. I wouldn't be keen to board a dog in premises that were a bit cagey about when you can go and look round with a view to becoming a customer.

When it comes to making a donation to a rescue I want to know that the animals are being kept in the best possible conditions. Yes, I know that sometimes rescues have to "make do" rather than have the best but this should not compromise the animals' welfare.

I can't get the low down on all of them particularly as I respond to many appeals that land in my email, come through snail mail or are brought to my attention on the internet. I just have to take it on face value that the people running them are doing the best they can without compromising the welfare of their charges until I am told otherwise. It really ought to be a given that a rescue should be transparent in all areas, open to inspection of premises and books so that people can be assured that the money they donate is being well spent.

When I see a rescue that has, or rather had, the prestige of Wiccs not coming up to snuff then it may impact on my willingness to donate to other rescues in the future for fear that I may be enabling a poor welfare situation to continue.

Alicia I am sorry that you had such a poor conclusion to your meeting. The system stinks and people like you who need some help are worse off because of it :(

Shocked about Wiccaweys :(

My back is hurty today, as well as my tummy.

I am waiting for a delivery which is supposedly on the Parcelforce van for delivery. Not turned up yet and no card or anything. What's the betting the feckless driver has decided it's Friday so he can't be arsed to do all the deliveries and has bogged off home.

Oh I hope not Alex. What time do Parcel Force normally finish - does anyone know? I was waiting for a courier delivery earlier today and was told it would be here before 4pm as there were no more deliveries after that time. The courier arrived at 4.20pm. I'm on first name terms with my local parcel force chap. He's lufferly :)

Ruby and I have been told we don't know what we are missing by not having read or watched Game Of Thrones. So a friend has passed on the first two books and given us the first TV series on DVD to watch. We are planning a Game Of Thrones weekend. If you don't hear from me again you know I have been pulled in! :wave4:

• Like 2

Yantan - I have just finished the first book and I lurved it!! Having a knitting break before I start the second....... I think I will watch the series when I have read the whole set because I am loving the adventures in my mind!! (Although I am aware Sean Bean is in the series so that is definately something to look forward to!

Happy Weekend everyone xx

They deliver until 5.30 apparently Maz, but I have had one a bit later than that. Can't see it happening on a Friday now, lazy feckers. Just don't want my plants sitting in a warehouse all weekend :mad:

Edited by merledogs

Alicia the whole thing just sucks, they have strung you along, told you to pack, and now wash their hands of it? Perhaps a call to the Daily mail is in order ...

Our boarding kennels here is just fabulous, when I rang them the first time they actually insisted that before we took Nog in I go over unannounced and have a look around, they insist you do it without any warning and only ask that its done during opening hours simply because its not fair on the staff otherwise. When we take the dogs in we ourselves take them through to their kennel and settle them in and we can stay as long as we want with them until we're happy they are Ok, if we think they are next to a dog they don't seem to like we can ask for them to be moved to another kennel. If your dog prefers to be exercised alone rather than out in one of the big runs where there could be dogs in runs either side of them, they take them on individual lead walks and every time I've been there I have seen loads of dogs going off on walks with staff. When you go to collect your dog you pay in the office and then you go through to the block to collect your own dog. Last time we went Sal had been moved as she had been nervous of a big shouty dog in the kennel next to her, and a big black Lab had been moved in next to Nog because they had noticed Nog realllly loves Labs (which he does) and the Lab was a bit nervous so they put him close to Nog to settle the Lab down. The first time he went in Nog was booked into a kennel with an attached run but as soon as they saw how tall he was they switched him to a much larger indoor kennel as he'd have had to duck down to go in and out of the hatch to the run and they didn't think that was comfortable for him. We can take our own beds and bedding and toys so long as they aren't squeaky ones and they even store the salami in their fridge that I take over with Nogs pills so he gets his previcox exactly as he does at home. The only thing they could do to improve things for me would be to move about 10 miles closer to us LOL

Had a chat with mil this morning about Sal she had mentioned that she'd been feeling vulnerable alone in the house and I reminded her that she'd always had a big shouty dog there and had often said how secure Sal made her feel. She admitted that Sals barking has always been bad and that it was her fault for never trying to teach her any different and indeed having encouraged it because of being alone. She saw/heard for herself over the past 24 hours just how bad it is here, and its NOT Sals fault I know that, its definitely down to just how much of the outside Sal can see from inside here which she can't see at her own home iyswim.

MIl is actually paying Sal's bills for kennels, vet, grooming etc. cost isn't a factor as such for us although obviously its extra food and treats but we're not bothered about that at the moment, nor is Sal unhappy here, far FAR from it she loves it here and she loves us, but the barking IS an issue for us and nothing we've tried has made the slightest bit of difference, if anything the more settled shes become the more she feels that she needs to alert us to every flipping little thing she hears, see's or thinks she's heard/seen.

I'm not going to say too much but I was a very active volunteer at Wiccaweys from about 2005 until late in 2009. I was their homecheck coordinator, one of their dog walking team leaders, ran appeals, helped with rehomings (I may still be listed as their rescue rep on this forum).....when I left things were already going downhill. Since then the decline has been horrific and recent conditions a disgrace to the rescue world. Some evidence of this has been made public on Facebook by a Romanian rescue who were trying to get one of their dogs back. Debate on both sides has been hot!

I stayed on for far too long because of attachments to dogs there at the time, and probably if I'm honest, I was in denial about things I just didn't want to be true. It was hard to leave and give up what had been a huge part of my life in those years. Supporting Wiccaweys as standards moved downwards, and other opinions were not welcome, is probably the worst error of judgement I have made in my half century of life. I am still ashamed of my past association and the fact that I defended Wiccaweys against criticism on numerous occasions and actively encouraged the support of others.

If I have upset people on here by expressing my honest opinion then I am truly sorry as this has been a pleasant and supportive forum to participate in. I am deeply saddened by what Wiccaweys became and devastated for dogs and people that have suffered as a result.

• Like 2

I used to foster for wiccaweys, so know you from there im sure. I wasnt happy with things that long ago so left

ive spoken to the councellor on the phone, what a nice man. hes going to talk to head of housing on monday, and see what he can find out. he said about a flat. I said I wasnt happy about one because of the noise, but he says there are lovely small quiet blocks, so he will talk to them about them

we shall see

Jazz, my mum has just said can you go to the local government ombudsman with your case? they are definitely higher than the bloke you have seen.

Snow, we have been using these for bonfire night/ separation anxiety

http://www.vetuk.co.uk/dog-behaviour-pet-stress-supplements-c-837_150/pet-remedy-diffuser-and-refill-p-5988

it seems to have settled my pair down, if you don't want the diffuser plugged in all the time you can get the spray and just op it on a bandana for sal.

Glad your plants turned up Merledogs but i think we seriously need to start that plant addicts anonymous group for you

Jazz, when my aunt left her husband, she got a 1 bedroomed housing association flat. It was lovely and there was no noise - it was in a little block of 4 flats, not a great big tower block. She was really happy there and only moved when she could afford to buy :)

Thanks for all the kind words about Shara, as she is my mum's dog, she will have the final say in when we say goodbye, however she did seem a bit happier yesterday :)

Went to the pub quiz last night with mum and dad, sod's law put a fit guy at the bar :rolleyes: My aunt and uncle were there as well, so there was no way I was going to be able to speak to him :laugh: :rolleyes: :angry: It's a pub near mum and dad's house, so it's not one I can walk to from my house to go again on my own :rolleyes:

Sorry, not keeping up again. I only manage a short time late at night on the pooter and am usually tired out by then too.

Sending hugs to all having a testing time at the moment :GroupHug:

Suzeanna, I got my black eye through a bad fall. I had a road accident on the 1st May and I wrote my van off. Got out of it without a scratch! The following Sunday was running across the patio to try and stop Digger picking up and eating a deposit :sick02: (It's a Beagle thing)! I tripped up and went head first. I had a lump the size of an egg come up on my head and by the following day had a huge dark purple eye :ph34r_anim:

I have still got a lot of chest and back pain and a nurse friend of mine said I have probably cracked a rib :ohno02: She said nothing can be done other than rest and rest my arm on that side and I said 'rest'-what's that? Not possible here. Got to soldier on.

My eye is now turning an interesting shade of green and yellow.

Hope to get back here tomorrow so I don't lose track of you all. Nitey nite :bighyp: