UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

I Am Just So Proud Of My Wife!

Hollysdad

Samantha is a finalist for the Ceva Animal Welfare Awards in the International Volunteer category. She works so hard and its fantastic to see her work getting recognised, I am so proud of her and everything she does :love: :love: :love:

This is the wording from the Press release Ceva have put out:

The nationwide awards, held by Ceva, manufacturers of Feliway and Adaptil, will celebrate volunteers, charity workers, veterinary professionals and young people who have all demonstrated dedication to animal welfare.

Samantha, originally from London where she worked in the engineering department for the London Underground. After the 7/7 bombings she was made the site manager of Edgware Road, assisting the police investigations, removal of the damaged train and reopening of the station. However shortly afterwards when her role was made redundant she wanted some time out so headed to volunteer in Sri Lanka.

It was here, in 2006, that Samantha became aware of the welfare problems and desperate need for sterilisation amongst street dogs in Sri Lanka and as a result she founded her charity Dogstar.

After setting up the charity, Samantha has been working tirelessly to ensure thousands of dogs and cats are sterilised every year, as well as educating the children in the need for vaccination against diseases such as rabies.

Last year Samantha organised a teaching clinic for western vets to work with Sri Lankan students in the improvement of animal care and treatments.

Samantha said: “ we’ve sterilised over 3,000 dogs so far and vaccinated more than double that against rabies. This is the only way we can reduce the stray population effectively and there’s still a lot to be done.

“I spend between three and six months of the year over in Sri Lanka and the work is incredibly varied and exciting. There’s so much work to do over there in terms of vaccinating and sterilising but also in educating people in animal welfare. We’re fundraising, training teachers, teaching young children about animals and developing a workshop demonstrating surgical protocols in a field clinic environment. It keeps me very busy”

“When I’m back in the UK I manage the fundraising, digital media and charity governance as well as looking after the team back in Sri Lanka remotely via emailing and Skype. However, in April of this year both my husband and I will be moving out there to volunteer full time which we’re very excited about.”

Ginette Bryant of Ceva Animal Health said: “The International Volunteer Award category is more competitive than ever this year; there were just so many fantastic candidates who dedicate their lives to animal welfare. We’re really excited about the awards but the judges have an extremely tough job on their hands.”

Ceva Animal Health’s judging panel consists of celebrity vets Marc Abraham and Joe Inglis, as well as veterinary surgeon Chris Laurence MBE, Ross Tiffin of the Feline Advisory Bureau (FAB) and Dennis Baker OBE Chief executive at Wood Green, the Animal Charity. The winners will be announced at the awards ceremony on April 3 2013.

For good measure she also got an article in the Southwark News! (being a Peckham girl) :-)

ScreenShot2013-03-25at101545_zpseeaeb519
  • Like 4

Thank you all , it was a real shock to get the call from Ceva

You are right to be proud of her but she couldn't have achieved it all without your support so you deserve some kudos as well.

Totally true :)

This is why I would like to win to be able to tell more people that I do run Dogstar with the support of just 2 people , hubbie Mark and our in country volunteer Mo. All 3 of us are also trustees and between us all we manage all Dogstars services and all the fundraising/social media / website and Charity Governance.

If I win it will be an award shared between us all :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...