UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

February's Flippin' Faffing

merledogs

I think you may be able too :)

I need some help with Dogstar in all of those departments ,

we have veterinary students & new grads that have to get practical work experience who volunteer with us and I wondering if there might be uni students or new grads in Marketing / PR ( and fundraising ) who need a to do similar and if so where would I find them ?

I haven't got specific experience with students or graduates in this area but I do have a graduate coming to work here next week to gain just such experience so I can ask them! I know they had trouble finding a commercial placement so were advised to look at charities & asked us as a relaltive works here. Meanwhile I recommend the following places to explore further:-

http://www.do-it.org.uk

http://www.wwv.org.uk (for worldwide volunteering)

http://www.prospects.ac.uk

We have found The Guardian to be excellent for advertising volunteer vacancies online - and it is free for charities.

The other way of going about it is to form a link with a specific college or university that offers this type of course/degree. A good relationship may get you a steady flow from the same source so low maintenance! Try contact through their careers office and also consider courses with media or journalism in the title.

You will need to create a job spec/project brief for what is to be done & be clear about where and what help/supervision is offered. Most graduates will be looking to learn from a more experienced person - I'm not sure how this would work at DogStar.

Hope this helps get you started but like all things you may need to invest a bit of time up front.

Morning.

Zooey-cat is at the vet for the day, having investigations done on his heart. He's had a murmur since he was a kitten, but its gotten much worse recently (now grade 4). He desperately needs a dental, but they don't want to risk the anaesthetic til they know whats up, so he's having some tests and an x-ray done. If it all looks good, he'll also have the dental, otherwise we'll try to stabilise the heart with tablets, and then the dental can be done in a few weeks. He was not a happy cat at being taken to the vet for the second time in 4 days - we had to dismantle part of the bed to get him out from under it :confused:

Reputation? What reputation? What's that all about?

As for the "like this post" I just thought Sam was on happy juice and finding everyone's posts agreeable. LOL

We know all about your reputation, I was going to say young lady...but spluttered over the word lady!! He he he xxx

Actually that's a lie, I know nothing about your reputation but I bet it is made up of fab memories!

Edited by murtle
  • Like 1

I haven't got specific experience with students or graduates in this area but I do have a graduate coming to work here next week to gain just such experience so I can ask them! I know they had trouble finding a commercial placement so were advised to look at charities & asked us as a relaltive works here. Meanwhile I recommend the following places to explore further:-

http://www.do-it.org.ukhttp://www.wwv.org.uk (for worldwide volunteering)http://www.prospects.ac.uk

We have found The Guardian to be excellent for advertising volunteer vacancies online - and it is free for charities.

The other way of going about it is to form a link with a specific college or university that offers this type of course/degree. A good relationship may get you a steady flow from the same source so low maintenance! Try contact through their careers office and also consider courses with media or journalism in the title.

You will need to create a job spec/project brief for what is to be done & be clear about where and what help/supervision is offered. Most graduates will be looking to learn from a more experienced person - I'm not sure how this would work at DogStar.

Hope this helps get you started but like all things you may need to invest a bit of time up front.

That's very helpful but confirms what I thought , we don't have anyone to mentor in the way we do with the vet students. Equally I don.t think I know enough to create a brief as I am out of my depth in the area .

I will look I think for some one with more experience who wants to volunteer and can guide us a bit , the Guardian is a great idea

Great advice thanks :) and feedback from your new grad would be helpful as well

Edited by Happylittlegreensquirrel

Things are going a bit pear shaped again now. Auntie very poorly again, mum still in hospital as no one has had time to assess her. Thank goodness I am feeling a bit better. Can't go anywhere today until gas engineer has come to removed meter and cap supply, should be here by 2.

Morning.

Zooey-cat is at the vet for the day, having investigations done on his heart. He's had a murmur since he was a kitten, but its gotten much worse recently (now grade 4). He desperately needs a dental, but they don't want to risk the anaesthetic til they know whats up, so he's having some tests and an x-ray done. If it all looks good, he'll also have the dental, otherwise we'll try to stabilise the heart with tablets, and then the dental can be done in a few weeks. He was not a happy cat at being taken to the vet for the second time in 4 days - we had to dismantle part of the bed to get him out from under it :confused:

Hope he doesn't find the experience too upsetting, and they can stabilise his heart. I had two poms with bad murmurs and they went on for years with meds.

We seem to have gone slightly mad over the weekend..subject to everything being ok with it, we've bought a car! Our micra is nearly 14 and although the engine is great still the bodywork is falling apart (I know how it feels!), and as the car tax is due on the 1st March, insurance next month, and hefty repairs needed to get her through the mot we went looking and found another one. It's a micra again, but just under a year old. My OH had to come home and have a stiff drink at the thought of shelling out the money, (thank heavens for a slush fund in the shape of premium bonds), but it didn't make sense to try to keep our old girl on the road. Sounds silly I know, but I'll probably shed a few tears on Friday when she goes, I love that car.

Adding..sorry Owl, I was typing when your post came in...doesn't sound good about your Aunt, I hope she rallies and that your mum gets herself back home soon. Glad you are feeling better, but don't be surprised if the cough lingers on. I saw my daughter yesterday and she's still coughing.

Edited by suzeanna