UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Garden Fred 2013

merledogs

I'm so naffed off that the weather has delayed Spring this year. Apart from one or two Daffodils, a couple of Grape Hyacinths and a Hyacinth in the front garden, nothing else is flowering. Not even a single one of the Rhododendrons, some of which are usually well under way by now. I am just hoping that the late frosts haven't done too much damage and that I will still at least get flowers this year.

The side border, which I planted up with various Camellias last year, is going to be re-done this year using more mature plants which I've already got. I've come to the realisation that Camellias will not flower well in complete shade so am going to put them in a west facing position where they will get the afternoon sun.

I re-potted some alphine Daphnes this morning. They hate being moved and two of them were looking pretty pathetic in any case, so I hope they survive. Have three more to do. I also potted a couple of new alpines up.

I re-potted my dwarf Lilac yesterday and had to cut quite a lot of the root ball off in order to do so. Also gave it a good haircut. Hoping it survives cos I have put it in the largest planter that I can realistically use and still be able to move it.

Edited by merledogs

One of my new Azaleas is looking pretty pathetic and all the leaves have died. Whether that is due to frost damage or the fact that I found vine weevil grubs under the roots when I potted it,, I don't know, but the nursery have said they will refund/replace if it dies.
Edited by merledogs

• 2 weeks later...

Things are finally starting to flower :pinkie:

Out of all my Camellias, only one has produced a single flower this year. Lesson learned - do not put Camellias in a north facing border because they need sunlight to produce buds.

This is Camellia 'Debutante' :wub:

P1010493_zps1bd92849.jpg

My Osmanthus x 'burkwoodii' is also flowering - the scent is lovely, like aniseed :wub:

P1010496_zps35386292.jpg

• Like 2

Today I've done a job that I've been dreading and hence putting off for the past month. I have moved a couple of Rhodos from planters into larger planters. May not sound like much but they had quite large root balls and were a pain in the posterior to shift. Still, at least they are now done yes%204.gif

So far this Spring I have potted up 27 containers, either with new shrubs or else ones which have been moved from smaller containers.

I only have another 14 shrubs to pot up, plus 7 Dahlias (4 Peach Brandy & 3 Lilac Time) and a Paeonia 'Sarah Bernhardt', all of which are also going in containers. I think. Although I may put some in the front garden. If I can ever make my mind up huh.gif

Once I've done that I am re-doing my raised borders and north facing border. I'm not usually that indecisive but can't decide what to do with those either wallbanging.gif I know which plants I've got to play with, but can't decide which order to put them in.

And somehow I also need to take down four metal posts which were holding up my pergola which collapsed. I think instead of digging out the posts where they have been concreted in, I am going to cut them off at ground level. That should be fun cos I'm rubbish at sawing.

Edited by merledogs

Decided not to go with the angle grinder and bought a reciprocating saw instead (Black and Decker Scorpion).

I bought three more Acer Palmatums :rolleyes: Two Atropurpureums for a tenner each from Morrisons (I took the last two and got a dirty look off a bloke who stood next to me) which are going in a border and one ickle dinky one for £3.98 from B&Q called Little Princess which is going in a planter.

P1010533-001_zps924ed8cd.jpg

Some of the Rhodos are flowering in the front garden :wub:

Unnamed pink one ...

P1010530_zps4edcdb2e.jpg

Dwarf Rhododendron Patty Bee ...

P1010520_zps405e7bd8.jpg

Dwarf Rhododendron Princess Anne ...

P1010529_zps046ec169.jpg

Very nice Alex :)

Can I pick your brains please? Every year I appear to have an infestation of a weed - google seems to point to it being ground elder. Back in March I attacked it with weed killer, but it has appeared again :angry:

How do I get rid of it? It's backbreaking work trying to pull all the damn stuff out :angry:

Use Roundup on it. Wait until there is lots of leafy growth and then spray in the evening after the bees have gone to bed (the leaves will absorb the weedkiller better as well). It can take up to a week for it to work its way down to the roots so be patient. Then just zap any more bits as and when they come up :flowers:

If you have other plants which are likely to get caught by the spray, then use a small sponge and wipe it over the leaves.

Gooster, i am not a gardening expert but i recall hearing somewhere that some weeds need to be sprayed/ treated during their growth period, that was the only way i could get rid of the vine weed that covered my back garden.... i sprayed it with round up and then as it began regrowing i sprayed again and eventually it stopped growing and my garden was clear. weeds can be a right pain in the bum!

Merledogs, i bet that fella was well annoyed... to be honest i very rarely stand contemplating anything anymore i pick it up, pop it in the trolley and then decide that way no-one else can snaffle it Lol, love the name of your saw!

Bought a Magnolia Susan from Costco yesterday for just under £11. When I went to pot it, it's actually two plants with totally separate root systems, so two for the price of one - bargain!

P1010538_zps5565a32a.jpg

A couple of my Alpine plants are flowering.

Daphne susannae x Titchborne. So pretty and smells delightful. :wub:

P1010541_zpsc6e4b4ad.jpg

P1010547_zps25f133ce.jpg

Leucanthemum Sunshine Peach :wub:

P1010551_zps1752401b.jpg

• Like 1