UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

My News ( Finally )

Sorry its been so bloody cloak and dagger to date !

Mark is taking very early retirement from March 12th

On April 10th Mark and I will be emigrating to Sri Lanka to volunteer full time for Dogstar. We will be visiting Melbourne for a Holiday in late April / early May and then back to Sri Lanka to take on the challenge of expanding Dogstar and doing the feasibility study for a hospital.

Our plan is to take Noah with us later in the year , he will be staying with family friends and if all goes well he will be joining us mid summer ( he had a small health scare that delayed a few things regards his inport licence to Sri Lanka ) Noah will be joining the Dogstar team as part our education program and meeting a lot of children

Holly already lives with my mum and they will be joined by 2 of our cats Gertie ( who the hell else would take her ! ) and Mr Tibbs , our 3rd cat Salem is moving in with one of Aislings freinds

Its been an enormous struggle the last few years trying to run a charity often remotely so each year I have spent more and more time there , some years spending over 6 months away from Mark and my family and then when the only paid work I could get that fitted around Dogstar was in Melbourne meant living in 3 countries I never knew what bloody time zone I was in

My life has changed so much in the last 8 years , from having a high powered full time corporate job with a career path I thought led to the board room, to the difficulties of July 2005 and then being made redundant at 34 in 2006 and a spur of the moment journey to Sri Lanka to volunteer with elephants that led to a chance ( was it really a chance meeting ? ) with a sick dog and monk to where I am now seems the stuff Hollywood films script are made of not the life of a girl from Peckham

It's not where I thought I would be in my forties and as my mother says if you work for nothing your never be idle but it really really seems the right path for Mark and I

If you have journeyed with us so far thank you , and if you would like to share what happens next we would love your company

Sam

• Like 3

Oh Sam that's so exciting. And no it wasn't chance - it was your destiny (if that doesn't sound too mawkish)

I'd love to help if there is any thing you can fling my way. Like Mark I took very early retirement and though I've enjoyed the past couple of years renovating the house and garden I do now feel the need to do more.

So thrilled for you both.

I thought you might be moving to Sri Lanka but couldn't quite make it fit because I knew you wouldn't go alone and Mark had his work. It never entered my head that he would be taking early retirement.

I believe what happens happens for a reason and your life path has been leading you to this. I wish you the very best of luck and hope one day to come out to see you in Sri Lanka to lend a hand.

Ooooooh it's all very exciting isn't it! :elefant: :elefant: :elefant: :elefant: :elefant: :elefant:

• Like 1

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO how exciting!!!!!! i don't believe in god (sorry if i offend anyone) but i do kind of believe there is a plan for each and everyone one of us already laid out and as the others have said this was your destiny! the animals in Sri Lanka have been very lucky to find you. i look forward to hearing more about your adventures!!!!

• Like 1

My goodness, that's wonderful and it's sent a shiver down my back! I'm really pleased for you all, even your mum taking on Gertie :)

I suspect fate had big plans for you when it brought you together with the sick dog and the monk!

I hope you'll you be able to keep in contact with us?

Thank you all

Dogstar the BBC film is often drunkly discussed after a hard day at the clinic

currently the favourite to play me is Alex Kingston and Mark is Phillip Glenister

various other Bollywood stars will play our team :cool2: and Rani the elephant will play herself

of course when we are sober we mutter about not drinking again and forget all about it until the next time !

• Like 2

Wowsers. I guessed that but thought no how can Mark be going to so thought it was wrong lol

I'm thrilled that you are able to do this. It would definitely make a good book and I can see that in the future if you ever had the time to write some of it down. Best of luck to you all.