UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Gym And Fitness Escapades...

murtle

Don't worry about getting too much better! I would have started much sooner had I realised just how friendly people were and the support and encouragement they would give. And after 50 runs you get a tshirt sooner start, sooner have tshirt! If you want to see what it is like you could try volunteering before running it. Again great for meeting a supportive network of all ability runners.

Go on give it a try!

This is a letter from the parkrun newsletter (covers the while of the uk)

Hi parkrun UK

I started parkrun after I had a gastric bypass two years ago and I wanted to do some exercise to keep fit and active. Since then I have done 87 parkruns, have gone from 28 stone down to 18 stone and I have been to 20 different parkrun courses within this time.

A few months ago my wife Lisa Fisher started volunteering at Temple Newsam parkrun and last week she completed her first parkrun by walking round in 59:30 and loved it. Her daughter Abbey Bailey was just in front and my daughter Bethany Fisher finished in 54:04. I would like to say a big ‘thank you’ for all your hard work and look forward to seeing you all again soon.

Regards,

Graham Fisher

It really is for everyone xx

We are going to look at a body pump class today with a view to taking one tomorrow morning

There is a beginners spinning class we might try , I think bootcamp is circuits so will check that out and body balance looks good

Murtle I will register with park run today with a view to running this Saturday if I think I can do it , if not I am sure by next Saturday I will be able to cover 5km . I just know I will be last as I am a lot slower than I was in April and I was never fast then !

• Like 1

Have fun experimenting with the classes Sam - I always think it's worth trying them, if you don't like a class, don't do it again :) I found that getting chatting to other people in the classes is always good, as you can ask them what other classes are like, and which instructors are good and which to avoid. It took me chatting to a few people about cycle blast and strength and conditioning before I gave them a go. Our gym has a colour code system to indicate the difficulty level of each class. Blue is suitable for all abilities whereas amber and red are more difficult. Cycle blast and strength and conditioning both have red icons next to them, so it took me a while to build up the courage to give them a go :)

Well done :)

I did a 2 mile run today in 20 mins - just decided to set the timer for 20 mins and see what happened, knowing I could slow down if needs be. Anyway, I didn't need to slow down, stayed at a steady 6mph for the full time and ran 2 miles :biggrin:

• Like 1

my running is shite ( compared to how it was ) 2km took me 16 minutes today and I had do both running and walking , on the plus side its it was a minute better than yesterday but I am struggling to do things I used to breeze

I think I need a few more days before I try classes, 4 months of no treadmill has taken its toll on my cardo abilities

has anyone got experience of coming back to running after a long break , how long did it take you to recover fitness levels

With that said I am still a lot better than when I first joined , a lot lot better

Varies Sam. Keep at it and you'll be fine, as you said you are still better now than when you first started so you haven't lost it all.

Join the classes Sam they will help you regain your fitness too and you have nothing to lose xx

• Like 1

I would get to the classes too - when I started them I had been a member for a month and I couldn't run at all. The first class was so hard, as I tried to keep up with the regulars. Bad idea. I couldn't walk properly or sit down for 5 days. The next week when I went back to the class, Mr G told me if he said to do 20 reps but I could only do 10, that was fine. Just work within your abilities and you will soon progress. In my classes now that I do regularly, I get given extra work to do - even in evil abs class I have to do extra crunches etc.

• Like 1

Omg, I think my legs are going to fall off. Mr G did strength and conditioning today and it was all focussed on the legs. We had split squats, box jumps, box squats, running on the step box, long jump, wall sits, them some abs work - planks etc. The tops of my thighs are the main bit I want to work on, but OMG my legs are dead!

totally overslept and missed the class this morning , maybe just maybe jet leg is hampering my abilities as well.....

great news that our PT is back at work next week and even if he is still on crutches he will get us knocked back into shape ASAP

have decided to try Bodypump , circuits and core circuits

Good news about your PT being back at work :)

Enjoy the classes - I reckon the core circuits you will feel the most. I hadn't done core workout for a few weeks as I was working, and the first class back I felt like I had been beaten up. However after Friday's class I was ok, so am hoping my abs have woken up again now and can cope with the core workout class. I did it this morning, so will see how I feel tomorrow :)