UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Gym And Fitness Escapades...

murtle

• 2 weeks later...

Well done Murtle :)

I was back to my usual Tuesday classes yesterday. Evil abs in the morning followed by fitball and cycle blast in the afternoon. I told Mike and Matt that there would be trouble if they messed my hair up as I had it cut yesterday afternoon and it looked fab! After the classes had finished my hair was a sweaty mess :laugh: :rolleyes:

I don't do gyms - I have had some very embarrassing incidents with gym equipment, I'm also not allowed to do any high impact exercises like jogging or aerobics etc. I did do step for a while but had to stop on Dr's orders as it was damaging my already wonky knee. I have recently been suffering with lower back pain to the point it has severely affected just how far I can walk without it really hurting but I am determined to try and sort it so I have set up my mums Nordic Walker in the conservatory and will build up very gradually starting with 5 mins a day 3x a week for the first week and increasing by 1 min per day as I get more used to it - just finished todays "walk" very surprised that its my arms that are killing me rather than my back or legs. Heart rate did increase but am not out of puff and my back seems fine as are my knees.

We shall see if I can keep myself motivated enough to keep this up lol

• Like 1

Yay well done Snow! That's really good :-)

Good that it hasn't hurt your back and I guess you do more walking than carrying stuff hence the arms! But it's really good, don't forget to stretch out even if you can't feel it to prevent DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness) that can come upto two days after.

Welcome to the fitness thread!

Welcome Snow :wavey:

Is a Nordic walker like a cross trainer :unsure: Cross trainers are a good low impact way of improving fitness. I quite like the cross trainer (except when it's on evil mode, then I dislike it a lot!).

I am finding that I am getting a bit bored now with my gym cardio sessions - I much prefer the classes I do. More variety and I get pushed harder in a class than I do when I am in the gym on my own :rolleyes: I only do 2 cardio sessions in the gym a week now and the other 4 days I do classes. Just hoping that reducing the cardio doesn't cause me to put weight back on - don't think it will as I do 2 cycle blast classes a week which is mega cardio, but I only have 8 weeks till my hols and I don't want to start gaining weight now :laugh: :rolleyes:

Hello!

Haven't been around for a while, but just catching up with this thread - well done everyone :)

I've been seeing a personal trainer since February and so far I've lost around 5 stone :D Still a way to go but I'm really enjoying my exercise routine, especially running. I've bought a swimming costume and I'm due to go swimming for the first time in many many years tomorrow...... we'll see if I have the courage. Slightly concerned that I'll be so disappointed in the way I swim and that I'm no where near the standard I used to be that I'll give up at the first hurdle. Must remember that I was competitive a very long time ago and that a lot has changed. It's not like I'm swimming 10 times a week anymore after all.

Completed a 5k in blistering heat at the beginning of the month and due to do a 10k in October followed by a half marathon in march. Definitely have the running bug. I'm very slow though, I'm hoping I'll start speeding up soon. My trainer has me doing sprint drills and hill repeats each week (fortunately not in the same session) to build my speed and strength so hopefully it will start paying off soon.

• Like 1

Hello :-)

I am going to go running in the morning if I get up early, as I had an asthma attack last Thursday it knocked my confidence a touch to run in the heat! I'll bounce back but need to be building up my distance (and hope the speed comes with it again).

I will be doing a marathon before the year is out...argh!! All part of training for next year.

Jayne can you mix the cardio up a bit to keep it enjoyable? I guess it is harder in a gym than outside to just enjoy the experience?!

Well done Khanu, that is brilliant and welcome to the thread!

Wow Khanu, that is amazing :biggrin: Welcome to the thread :)

Hope your run goes ok to tomorrow Murtle :flowers:

Tonight I did 20 mins on the cross trainer and bike, then went downstairs to do a bit of work with the gym ball :) Evil insane class tomorrow :)

Saw trainer at 6 this morning. Had me on some climbing contraption first that was very very hard on my quads. Was disappointed with my performance if I'm honest. Then got to run intervals on the treadmill - I have sped up :boldred: I realised at one point that it felt very easy and a bit slow really then looked down at the figures on screen and saw that she had put it on the level I could just about sustain last time I was on the treadmill. So that made me feel better, until we started on the long intervals anyway. Still I felt strong the whole time.

I've got a ton of chores to do at lunch so not sure if I'll make it to the pool. Might have to make do with a quick 15min skip session when I get home for my second session of the day today.

Hope you enjoy(ed) your run this morning Mary :flowers:

Thanks Khanu, sadly I bailed. I was awake from 2.30am till 4.45/5am. I will run tonight before going out. I am hoping that the exercise will break the bad sleeping cycle.

Well done in your speed intervals, I love them especially when you see the improvements. Feeling strong is the best thing in them!

Actually I might run to the gym, do speed intervals and then run home! Hopefully I will be able to fit that in :-)

xxx

I did 6 mins on the walker cross trainer thingy tonight, I wasn't going to as I woke up at 4am in pain from my back and had to do some up hill walking on my way to and from a meeting which had proved to be a bit uncomfortable so I was in 2 minds about whether this might make things worse, however since I decided to try this to improve my back I decided to go for it. Back seems ok for now, legs and arms not quite so trembly this time - I varied my speed and stride whilst doing it and that seems to have been a good idea. We shall see.

Well done Khanu and Snow :)

Hope you got everything done yesterday that you wanted to Mary :flowers:

I got a well done from Mr Grumpy last night in the insane class :biggrin: We had to sit on the bosu ball and lean back with our feet off the floor and do russian twists with a weight (basically twist from side to side with the weight). Mr Grumpy fell off the ball whilst demonstrating it, but I managed it ok :biggrin: When he was walking around to check everyone was doing their stations correctly he got to me and said 'fantastic, well done' :smug-1: I really enjoy the insane class, you get such a sense of achievement when you manage to keep up with the blokes :laugh: The only thing I really struggled with yesterday was lifting the 12.5kg dumbell over my head with one hand. I managed to get it to my shoulder, but it was just too heavy to lift beyond that with 1 arm!