UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Gym And Fitness Escapades...

murtle

Oh yes the other thing I was going to say was, if you have a phone that you can download apps to then you might be able to use things like strava to track your exercise and routes. You need to create an account online and then you can press go and stop on the app and save it. You will then have a record of your runs. I am an analyst and love numbers so this is great for me!! It is also nice to be able to look back over the year(s) and see the improvements!

Wow Vonny that is great - I would one day like to be 9st again <sigh>

I have downloaded that app Murtle - I love figures and comparing.

I have decided that I will do my first outing tonight when it is dark so I dont feel that I am on show too much. Have just had a look at the C25K app and day 1 is 30mins - brisk 5min warm up walk. Then alternate 60secs of jogging and 90secs of walking for a total of 20mins.

Question - how do I know how far to go so I will be back after 30mins??? see I am procrastinating already :biglaugh:

Well done Loobie for going out and doing it :biggrin:

My legs have had a workout tonight as well as cardio :) Have done 16 mins in evil x train mode, 20 mins on the bike, 60 squats, 45 split squats on each leg, 10 sumo squats and 10 narrow squats. Used 4kg weights in my hands for the split, narrow and sumo squats instead of my usual 3kg. Held the gym ball in my hands for the regular squats.

Think I might be getting shin splints though. Have started to get sharp pains in my shins when walking on a steep gradient on the treadmill (don't get it at any other time, including when the gradient is low). Might go back to a smaller gradient for a couple of weeks and see what happens :)

Well done Loobie!! How virtuous do you feel for doing that now?!

I did hill intervals tonight, wow that was challenging. I ran there, did the intervals and then ran home. 6 miles in total and reasonable times as well. It is slowly paying off.

Well done Jayne. Hope it isn't shin splints xxx

It was soo hard Murtle , I couldnt do 2 of the running bits. The back of my throat killed and I didnt have any headphones so no music!

I

That app you said about is brill - it showed me where I had been, the exact wobbly route lol - apparantly I did 3.7km

Yes I felt very smug when I had recovered

Jayne what are shin splints? (whatever they are I hope you dont have them)

Well done Loobie - 3.7km is good going :biggrin:

Shin splints are pains in your shins caused by inflammation of the muscles around the shins. It is more common with people with flat feet or tight Achilles' tendons - I have both of those, so am guessing am high risk, even though I don't actually run :rolleyes: I do fast walking on a gradient, so I suppose that could cause enough concussion to give me shin splints. From having a google, you just need to avoid the cause of the pain for a couple of weeks, then build up gradually. As it doesn't hurt when I am on the flat, will stick to flat walking for the next couple of weeks :)

Excellent Loobie :-) next time will be easier!! 3.7km is really good as well! If you can't run, jog if you can't jog walk! You will get better an it will get easier!! Actually they do say it doesn't get easier you just get faster which has is quite true.

I was running home tonight andy perceived effort was the same I used to feel yet I was a minute mile faster. That is such a grey feeling!

Jayne i didn't realise flat footed people were at higher risk of shin splints. Do you know if that is people with fallen arches or anyone?

Hope Andy is feeling better soon.

Are you interested in exercises Mags? If so you could look at the 12 minute bursts to fit into a day trapped at home.

You choose 4 exercises, and then do 45 secs of the first 1, then a 15 second rest. Do that for each exercise and do three sets. It is amazing how much you can work it in such a short time.

xxx

Am not sure Murtle, that is just what I have found out from Wikipedia :) I do have some orthotics that I bought last year - might have to put those in my trainers. I suppose it makes sense really as when you have flat feet, it puts extra stress on everywhere, hips, knees, back etc. I have a muscle imbalance in my legs/feet/everywhere, which again increases the risk of shin splints :rolleyes: The only thing in my favour is my ever improving core strength :laugh:

There's a lot of exercises I can't do because of arthritis in my back and hip. My hip will affect me sometimes on my walk but I can walk it off it that makes sense. Is there a link to something I can look at Mary?

I should have done my indoor walking or jogging but was a bit downhearted with not getting out that I just didn't bother **tut tut**