UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

December's Dangly Doodaas

merledogs

Sam, that is a wonderful thing to do. A friend of mine used to help at a London shelter over Christmas, and each year they managed to get some of the people off the streets and into housing.

Happy solstice and happy new Baktun everyone! It's all rubbish about the Mayans saying the world will end, it's just a new cycle which isn't even the biggest cycle they have.

Interesting article here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-20764906

Apparently the contemporary Mayans are having a bit of a laugh at us while selling souvenirs like mad. Some of their other calendars go on for squillions of years.

Nice cartoon in the Guardian last Saturday. A Mayan guy with hammer & chisel says "Oh bugger, I've run out of space on this calendar thing." His mate says "I wouldn't worry about it, you got up to 2012, fancy a drink?"

• Like 1

Evening guys , how is everyone ? sorry not been around much as I am trying to finish up a heap of Dogstar paperwork and year end reporting ( its like being back at work ! )

I am taking a few days off from Dogstar over the Christmas break and volunteering at a rough sleepers centre in London for Crisis at Christmas working as a dog handler. I am really looking forward to it although I have been told it's going to be very cold on my overnight shift as the temporary kennels are in a warehouse. I can't imagage how cold it must be sleeping rough in London this time of year which is what all the guests and thier dogs are doing now as the centre does not open till Saturday

That's a fabulous thing to do, best to wear your warmest clothing by the sound of it!

I'm just about to make small donations to Dogstar, Oldies and Bobtails in lieu of sending Christmas cards this year.

We've had an interesting morning, with no heating. Good job it's not too cold. Both the pilot light had gone out on the boiler and the central heating timer had failed overnight. Pilot light is lit again and we can work round the timer being broken. So that together with the water dripping through the kitchen ceiling on Tuesday must be our 3 things going wrong, right?

Gawd I am knackered and broken left the house at just after 8am an finally back in and sitting down, all my own fault, I have a Tesco delivery every fecking week so why on earth didn't I book this week in advance? I have had to do all the heavy shop cans, bottles, sacks of veg etc then I had to go down into town to go to the bank and then to the sweety shop to get the Xmas sweets and of course they just had to be at opposite ends of the flipping high street, then home bargains to get Nogs chewdles or else Xmas wouldn't have been worth having with a sulking greyhound and then to Argos because hubby decided this morning it might be a good idea to save washing over Xmas to get Nick & Vicky sleeping bags. Then it was over to the cemetary to give mum & dad a wash & brush up and to leave some nice flowers and Xmas foliage etc. then back home where I was supposed to just leave all the shopping in the car for Rob to bring in later but of course I couldn't do that now could I? Oh nooooo so I stagger back and forth bringing it in and then putting it all away and now my back is telling me that I have seriously peed it off and if I carry one more heavy thing today or bend over again it will go on strike completely.

And sometime tonight around silly o'clock I will be back in ruddy Tesco to get all the fresh stuff :rolleyes: but I'm going to make Rob carry that!

Well done Snow!!!! i leave all that stuff to my mum (thankfully!!!) speaking of which she was just at sainsburys and she rang me up to see if a security guard can hit somebody.... i told her nope and as far as i was aware i think they can only use reasonable force... turns out she witnessed a lad being assaulted by a security guard, he was being restrained by 2 security guards and one then when on to hit him causing the lad to fall to the floor!! she has spoken to the manager of the store who has dismissed the security guard, the lad didn't throw a punch, be verbally abusive nothing...was being totally cooperative and the bloke clumped him... the stupid c*w at the cigarette counter told my mum when she asked for the manager that he was probably a repeat offender!!!... and that makes it o.k to hit a lad who can't defend himself, he might have nicked something but he was admitting what he had done and returning to the store to wait for the police and he got a belt round the head for his trouble.

Karen, i hope that is the end of your run of bad luck!

i have dyed my hair... it looks slightly better than it did but it is all quite thin now... will see what my mum thinks.

i guess we have survived the end of the world??? good job i did christmas shopping after all Lol

RMF still no twinkle lights...not happy

What a brilliant thing to be doing Sam. Have a great Christmas

Merry Christmas to you as well :) I am sure you will be equally busy over the "break"

Hi Sam - that sounds like a lovely thing you are doing over Christmas. I was thinking of you the other day when I was chatting to one of my patients about volunteering abroad. I remember that Dogstar was born after your trip to Sri Lanka with the Elephants. You have worked so hard since then and Dogstar has grown and grown :)

I am still calling it an "acccidental charity" even now ! http://www.dogstarfoundation.com/last-6-years/

Dogstar has grown to the very limit of what I can manage from my spare room so 2013 is going to be a very intresting year as we announce a very big change in January :ph34r:

Sam If the world ends today, you will know that you left an indelible mark on it. What a lovely thing to do :flowers:

how kind but I have always thought I was more of a smudge that could be shifed with oxy powder , I will have to work a bit harder before I am indelible :)

HLGS what a lovely thing to do, if i had known earlier i would have sent you some coats to give to the dogs

Its a bit last minute as I forgot to sign up eariler this year so was on standby to take on unwanted shifts, luckly for me some came up 2 days ago. I will ask them about coats and donations and let you know

Sam, that is a wonderful thing to do. A friend of mine used to help at a London shelter over Christmas, and each year they managed to get some of the people off the streets and into housing.

Thats what really attracted me to volunteering with Crisis , they are really trying to help people into housing rather than feeding them once a year for a week. The warehouse I am in is like a mini city, they have volunteer doctors , dentists , health care workers , hairdressers as well as support workers working with each person to get them them into some form of housing. The dog section helps care for the guests dogs so they can go and access those services knowing their beloved pets are safe. We also have vets coming in to treat the dogs as well so they don't get left out. The whole London project is running over multiple sites for 1 week and has an whopping 8000 volunteers.

That's a fabulous thing to do, best to wear your warmest clothing by the sound of it!

I'm just about to make small donations to Dogstar, Oldies and Bobtails in lieu of sending Christmas cards this year.

I am going to dress up very very warm ,

Thank you so much for the lovely donation , would you like it used towards general running costs or towards our 2013 sterilisation program ( we are sterilising 1500 dogs and cats next year )

RMF still no twinkle lights...not happy

ooh no :( who are they coming from ?

Mr Marks xmas pressie is "lost in post" so I will be showing him a photo on xmas day of his gift at this rate , can't really do the same with lights can you :(

Solstice miracle, thank you very much! Went to get a year old rott x gsd pup from a lady who is being evicted tomorrow. She did have a home for him but that fell through at last minute. Couldn't get him into a rescue so brought him up to my friend's kennels to await a rescue space. We arrived to find his brand new dad welcoming him with open arms - friend's boyfriend has wanted a young rott or gsd for a while but couldn't make up his mind which, and is delighted to have a bit of both. Pup will now have some consistent training which he does need. He loves everyone but needs to learn a few manners. Nice result :)

• Like 5

Sorry your lights still aren't here griff :(

Glad the pup has a good home Owl :)

Well done for the shopping Snow :biggrin:

Have been on another Christmas lunch today - another 3 course one - am feeling proper full now :rolleyes: Good job I keep going to the gym so I don't pile on the pounds with all this amazing food I keep eating! Got to the gym this afternoon, feeling proper fat and bloated, only to see Mr Gorgeous sat there :rolleyes: He has gone now though, so the fact that my new gym trousers keep making me slip off the exercise bike is not a problem :laugh:

Thank you so much for the lovely donation , would you like it used towards general running costs or towards our 2013 sterilisation program ( we are sterilising 1500 dogs and cats next year )

I think probably the sterilisation program, but you are the best person to choose where the need is greatest :)

Solstice miracle, thank you very much! Went to get a year old rott x gsd pup from a lady who is being evicted tomorrow. She did have a home for him but that fell through at last minute. Couldn't get him into a rescue so brought him up to my friend's kennels to await a rescue space. We arrived to find his brand new dad welcoming him with open arms - friend's boyfriend has wanted a young rott or gsd for a while but couldn't make up his mind which, and is delighted to have a bit of both. Pup will now have some consistent training which he does need. He loves everyone but needs to learn a few manners. Nice result :)

Fate :)

No more work until 28th December :)

Feel really unsettled/down today - always happens before I'm due on :(

Did anybody see Eastenders last night? It was sooo exciting! :pinkie:

The 'condensation' on the cement dried up while the heating was on this morning, but has reappeared again. Hope it's nothing.

owl Brilliant news about the dog :flowers:

Edited by merledogs

fingers crossed it is just the cement drying out Alex :flowers:

Have just had an ingenious plan to discover if Mr Gorgeous is single. Mum and dad are friendly with one of the cleaners from when my brother did karate at the sports centre. She has just given me a Christmas card to give to mum and dad, so I asked her if he was single. She didn't know, but she's going to find out for me :biggrin: I did find out though that he is a bouncer as well as personal trainer/gym instructor.

I totally moosed my last post up there !!!!

Karen I will allocate it to the Sterilisation program as thats our core program in 2013 :) , we sterilised 1034 animals in 2012 and 2013's target is 1500 animals.

Gooster good luck with operation "find out if Mr G is single" ( I have my fingers crossed for you he is )

Owl what a fantasic happy ending :)

The 'condensation' on the cement dried up while the heating was on this morning, but has reappeared again. Hope it's nothing.

that is very good news indeed , concreate needs heaps of water when its first made up and it drys out whilst it goes off :)

Evening. Finished work at 3. Back in on Monday but no way am I staying much past lunch time.

Have been out delivering leaflets. Gawd the closes round here boggle because they have different branches that all go off into various directions and have so many more houses than you think. Got dizzy at one point trying to work out where the hell I was and the way out as they have one entrance/exit point to the main road. I've always thought that's a bit dangerous if we ever have some kind of major catastrophe. Anyways I have now leafleted 5 roads so am half way through. Haven't had a sniff of an order yet but we'll see. One of my customer's orders is lost in the post so I'll have to send another lot out

Test results not back yet. I know I've deffo got a thyroid problem as I'm realising I have all the symptoms. You brush things aside when you're busy and just think it's cos you lead a stressful life don't you.

Griff I hope you don't lose any more hair and what colour is it now?

Karen that's rotten luck. Hope heating is working fine very soon. Thanks ever so much for the donation.

Alex hope the floor is drying out and you have no more incidents. Pleased Kinky cat is settling with you.

Pleased doglet has new home. Sounds like a good match.

Phew Snow let that be the last of you overdoing things.

Wrap up warm Sam. Lovely thing to do.