UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

December's Dangly Doodaas

merledogs

Evening. Am not a happy bunny tonight. There is water coming up through cracks in the concrete floor in the front room, right by the radiator, so I suspect a pipe underneath is damaged. I have turned the stopcock off so at the moment I have no heating or water. I don't just want to call any cowboy out to sort it so I need to do some digging online for find some recommendations - I know there's a site which gives recommendations but I can't remember what it's called.

To add insult to injury, neighbours have gone out and locked Kinky in again, and they aren't home yet. Fuming again. I know they fed her yesterday as well because she was licking her lips when I collected her, like cats do when they have just eaten. Grrrrrr :mad:

Alex, are you thinking of Trust a Trader? My daughter got a roofer by checking out their website and he was absolutely...useless!! She may have been unlucky though. Hope you soon get it sorted out, thankfully it's meant to be mild over the next week, but you can't go on long without water.

Eve, your poor OH, he must have been shattered when he eventually got home. I hope he didn't have to go out again this morning!

I've posted the job on myhammer.co.uk and ratedpeople.com and have a couple of people to ring in the morning, whose reviews seem very good. Turning the water off had absolutely no effect and the water is still coming out quite fast. I suspect it's the water draining from the heating system. I've turned the water back on so I can wash some of the towels because I'm running out.

Great British bake off *thud* Despite just having eaten, am starving hungry watching it! I need the chocolate ganache *drool*

Have picked Charlie up, he has a little bandage on his leg where he had the catheter in. Should have the results in a couple of days.

Hope you get things sorted Alex - there's nothing worse than a water leak :(

It is the cushings test. His initial bloodwork strongly indicated cushings, even though he is not your typical case. Acth test was inconclusive. He is just always hungry, peeing throughout the night (which is unlike him as he has always been really clean). He hasn't had any coat changes, but he has always had a weird coat.

If the Cushings test is negative ask about Diabetes Insipidus.

My dalmatian always hungry and peeing through the night. Two vets couldn't find the reason. Cushings was strongly suspected but the tests were negative.

Then a young vet happened to be on duty for our appointment and he suspected DI.

It is not common but that was what Hovis had.

DI is not the same as diabetes mellitus- the normal diabetes that dogs get.

DI is due to the kidneys not concentrating the urine.

Edited by blackmagic

Alex, that sounds very worrying. If you believe it is water coming from the heating system you could try draining that by attaching a hose to a downstairs radiator and directing the water outside. Is it clean water? Water from your heating system is often discoloured by rust and sludge that forms in the radiators. I hope you can get it sorted without mega expense

Thanks Whizzie. The water seems to be clear rather than dirty.

Moaning :tired: Didn't sleep much, fully expecting to come downstairs to a flooded hall, but it wasn't too bad. There is, however, water coming through into the back living room and the hall, which is underneath the laminate. Feck knows how much damage it's doing underneath. I am literally sat here in tears because I have so much stuff at work I need to finish this week, including a tender which has to go out TODAY but I'm now going to have to work at home and do some cleaning/clearing while I'm waiting for the plumber (assuming I can get one here asap), for which privilege I will no doubt get charged through the nose.

Thanks guys. I have managed to find one who is going to come and have a look at 10 am. Spoke to another one who couldn't come today, but was very helpful and talked me through draining the system down to stop the water. When I went to the tap on the pipe by the rear living room radiator, the water was coming up through there so it's now all underneath the laminate in this room too. :(

Alex, that is awful, hope it can get sorted quickly. Do you have a dehumidifier to dry out the house?

Hugs to Charley, hope he can get a diagnosis quickly.

I am wishing a very unmerry christmas and an unhappy new year to the people who stole copper piping from house belonging to friend of friend a few days ago. The piping was part of the gas supply, they cut through it in the night. Not nice for those in the house who woke up to very cold house and strong smell of gas. Police came and cordoned the area while the gas board shut it off. Is it worth the risk of blowing people up for a piece of copper piping? Someone must have thought so. May they choke on their christmas pud and may reindeer poo on their heads.

Hope all goes well for Archie.

• Like 1