UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Slow Cookers - Just Got One

loobie

I have taken delivery of my first slow cooker, not sure what to do with it at the moment so am cooking something that I normally put in the oven in it. I have fancied one for a while so when one came up on QVC I got it purely so if I don't like it I can send it back!!!

Does anyone have any tips / recipes that they would like to share please.

Fank oo

I love my slow cooker.

I make anything that would previously have been made in a casserole.

I brown my onions, veg and meat in a wok, then bung it in the slow cooker with gravy or a packet mix , such as Colman's.

i also slow cooked a pot roast in it with just a small amount of water and some veg.

I prepare it just before lunch time and the let it cook until dinner time. My cooker has an auto setting which cooks until the contents reach the right temperature and then cooks on low for the rest of the time.

I allow 6 hours cooking.

It uses a lot less fuel than the oven.

You can find recipes online or your local library may have recipe books for slow cookers.

Since giving up eating meat a few years ago, all I use mine for is rice pudding. It does make a lovely pud though.

I use 1 litre of semi skimmed milk

3 tablespoons pudding rice

6 tablespoons sugar (I know, but I have a sweet tooth) (you can use less if you don't have my sugar addiction)

Put everything in the slow cooker crock, put the crock into the microwave & heat on full for about 12 mins (until it just comes to the boil. Take it out, give it a stir, grate some nutmeg on top & put into the slow cooker, which you have switched on before starting.

Leave it to cook for about 4 hours, stirring occasionally if you remember.

Thanx for replies, it has 3 heat settings (low, medium and high) and you can use the inside to brown meat off on the hob before putting it in the slow cooker. I don't eat meat but want to use it for the boys as they all eat at different times. I have done chicken, potato and carrot in a honey and mustard sauce - what it will taste like is anyone's guess LOL

I use it for chunky veg soup. Throw in any veg with lentils/split peas/pearl barley and some potatoes for thickening, with seasonings/veg stock cube. Onions are best given a quick fry first to seal in flavour. Towards the end of cooking you can chuck in some pasta. Or you use less water and make a veg curry with it. No idea how long to cook as I don't eat meat, but will be less with veg stuff. I just cool a bit and taste to see if done. As I live alone I usually eat one bowl, put some in fridge for tomorrow, then divide the rest into portions and freeze separately.

I#'ve recently taken to shoving everything in a roasting bag before putting it in the slow cooker - the theory is it reduces the washing up, and as long as you're careful when removing the contents (I use a soup ladle) it does)

Sausage casserole is one of our favs.

Pulled pork is another one my lot love - cheap shouldar of pork, you can season with a 'rub mix' if you like. Whack in the roasting bag and in the slo cooker for a long time (6 hours plus) the meat disintigrates like chinese roast duck, and can be used warm in bread rolls or wraps.