UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

October's Ornery Oration

merledogs

How old is this woman, Marion? She's either a chancer or totally unaware of how to behave. Hope you can manage to get rid of her soon, without too much upset for Ruby.

Love the cake Marge. I'm useless at things like that - would rather do a 5 course dinner for 20 people than bake a cake lol

Jazz, you're doing the right thing with Trudy. You need to get properly better.

Great sum raised for the charities Griff. Were the donations instead of sending flowers? I think that's a much better idea but I guess it's a personal thing. Hope you get decent weather - we're due a mini heatwave here for a few days if the forecast is right.

How old is this woman, Marion? She's either a chancer or totally unaware of how to behave. Hope you can manage to get rid of her soon, without too much upset for Ruby.

I would say around 50. In the mid to late 80's she used to work at hotel here where Ruby and I also worked but not at the same time. Ruby was introduced to her in N.Z by a fellow worker who knew us all. She has a 21 year old daughter at home.

She was counting her change out last night to see if she could afford to pay to go into the museum at Hadrian's wall. And then she mentioned that she had only another £10 until Wednesday when her wages should be paid into her account. We feel this is the set up to weasel a longer invite.

Archie hasn't taken to her at all and he's a very good judge of character.

Eve, i sent a donation instead of flowers but all of my dads family did flowers..... that really narked me especially as the hospice got my nan home and macmillan had supported her all the way through her illness, i swear without a word of a lie there was at least £1500 of flowers from the family at my nans funeral..... something that is still upsetting me nearly 2 months later, each to their own i guess but i feel flowers were a waste but the donation will make a difference to somebodys life.

Yantan, surely she must have a credit card or an overdraft... she will just have to use that!!!! and if archie isn't happy she will have to go!!!

Jeez Marion, I was sure you were going to say she was about 20 and didn't plan things properly but that is just out of order. My son managed to have 3 months in Australia and travelled round between Sydney and Brisbane staying with friends and relatives a lot of the time. But the visits were planned and the timescales agreed and he had enough money to stay in hotels inbetween visits and to go where the fancy took him. In fact, if I remember rightly, he couldn't actually get in to Australia for that length of stay unless he had £3k in his bank account (might be wrong on the amount but it was quite a bit of money and he'd saved for a few years to afford the trip)

Griff, so agree that the money could have been put to better use. The thought of £1500 wilting and rotting at the graveside is very sad. My family have strict instructions to get the cheapest funeral possible for me and donations to Oldies. They can pick any amount of flowers from my garden if they feel the need for a floral tribute. Luckily I think they would stick to that.

If the family really want flowers at a funeral, to me one stunning large floral arrangement would suffice with the rest donated to charity. But it's a personal thing. Shame though, that money could do so much good elsewhere :flowers:

Marion - if she was that bothered, then she would have counted it in private not in front of you. Bet she has a credit card tucked away somewhere. What has Ruby said to her and when is she going?

Sound alike a comedy sketch if it wasn't so real yantan. That is incredibly rude and a very strange way to behave. We had family and friends of family stay with us when i was a kid, happens when your family emigrates, but these visits could be sometimes for 6weeks at a time, but they were planned and organised. There was one chap though who was an extended family friend who my mom eventually had to ask when he was thinking of moving on...which he did and I get my room back!

If she has a daughter surely her daughter could send her some funds if she is that short?

Right she's going in the morning. Ruby is having to lend her £20 so she can go to the hostel eye roll. I doubt she'll get it back but as Ruby said "it'll be worth it!"

I'm just putting together roast chicken, roast potatoes, new potatoes, baby carrots, cauli, Yorkshire puds and gravy for our evening meal. I should really just have served up sandwiches - or gruel! LOL

• Like 1

Eeesh can't keep up! I have had the bloke here since yesterday, we went to a great halloween party last night in Irthlingborough, somewhat spoilt by an appeal to foster a dog at the last minute and an evening punctuated by texts. I said I couldn't do anything till Monday but was 'persuaded' to have him today. I then got told I'd have to cut my planned Sunday lunch date short as they couldn't get him to me, THEN I was given an utter nonsense meeting point (a crossroads of 2 roads in that are in different counties, at a Toby, when there isn't even a Toby ON either road).

Having worked myself into a frazzle at 3am trying to work out where the meeting point was, Phil reminded me we're in Cornwall from next weekend and the cottage had to be persuaded to have 2 dogs, they'd not have 3.

Utterly sleepless and headache filled night, worrying about it. When I told them this morning I couldn't help, it turns out they had other fosterers anyway. And breathe. Hope they're not on here cos I'm really not impressed.

Suzeanna, sorry to hear about your son but I honestly believe it's wrong to stay together 'for the kids' - children are not dumb, they pick up on it. Hopefully they can work out something good for all of them

Jazz, hope you are feeling better soon. I'm worried about my 2 after my op, stupid things like who will pick poo or mop up indoor wees.

Alex, sorry, I laughed too :-)

Sandra, congrats!

Marge, fab cake!

Marion, blimey, glad it's sorted, sounds like £20 well spent. I constantly get bollocked for being 'too kind', sounds like a classic case of that.

We had a 'no flowers' thing when Dad died, most people stuck to it and we had a fabulous £1600 to give to the local Stroke Association as a consequence, much more worthwhile.

RMF: I have my first fire of the year blazing. I'm officially in winter mode.

Edited by ClazUK

Jeez Marion, I was sure you were going to say she was about 20 and didn't plan things properly but that is just out of order.

I had also thought she must be very young and inexperienced with life.

Hope the cold clears up soon, loobie.

Claz that doesn't sound like a very organised rescue and it's not the right way to keep a good fosterer happy.

It sounds like our Kiwi has made a habit of staying places and running out of money. Back in the late 80's she went to NZ house in London 3 times to get loans she never intended to pay back because, at the time, she thought she was going to stay over here for ever.

I just wouldn't dream of setting off for another country without the wherewithal to pay my way. Nor would I be knocking on people's doors asking for free accommodation.

I'm on my tod with her in the morning after Ruby leaves for work - I hope she goes quietly. I no longer have the ability to pick folk up and chuck them down the garden path!

• Like 1

Y

Marge, how did you do cake, have to do a halloween cake and that'd be fantastic if you dont mind

Don't mind at all, I just made lots of plain sponge cakes. (one made in a pyrex bowl for the top of the skull). Sandwiched together with buttercream and jam and then carved to a skull shape. Grey fondant icing to line eye sockets and mouth/nose, then cover in buttercream. mixed with jam or red gel. Mix white and grey fondant, roll out and cut for bandages and cover cake. The eyeball is made of fondant and decorated with writing icing and food colouring. Red gel drips like "blood" and jelly squares cut up make a nice cut "brain"

Have fun!

46182_4285592711741_783505414_n_zps127f32fd.jpg

643898_4286382211478_330181457_n_zps654acecc.jpg

cake5800x701_zps259f5180.jpg

• Like 1