UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Megan My Staffy

nikkibriggs

Hi everyone i have been a memeber on here for a while read threads and helped if i could.. i am wondering if someone out there could help me. Megan not been well for about a week took her vets gave her anti sickness injection and anti biotic injection. came home and had to take her back again on Thursday as she was still being sick lethargic and just not right not herself couldnt explain what it was but just something niggling me... they took bloods and phoned me yesterday saying her liver enzimes are high i know this is nothing to just shrug off i am worried anyone out there anything i can do to make her comfortable she at vets tomorrow i just worried she just my baby girlie

I am no expert; but can just hope to stop you fretting , by telling you this. My old Collie Jack had a bit of a funny time and was diagnosed with liver problems in the same way. After test we were told to put him on a special food. We did . it lasted A week . His sister ate some of it and the cats had the rest and threw up, while he ate their food as usual. Apart from eating a lot more grass and discovering the tasty bits in the horses mucking out heap he staye d much the same for another 7 years reaching 15 plus.

• Like 1

Keep us up to date.. How old is Megan. Give hera cuddle from us.. My old staffy chap is a bit unhappy at the moment with stitches in his ear after a disagreement with the pups whentheywere just to excited to put up with the usual telling off. He is more clingy than ever..

My old mate George had liver problems (caused by his epilepsy meds) which first manifested itself by returning a high enzyme count after a blood test. As soon as I heard high liver enzymes I was thinking milk thistle as I knew my friend, Eileen from Trailie Welfare, had used it successfully on one of her dogs but when my vet also recommended it - well that was the clincher.

Eileen had done some research on extract over pills and she recommended A.Vogel's milk thistle extract which is easy to give as you just add a few drops into food and it's also more easily absorbed. You can buy it online from Vogel. A small bottle lasts for about 3 months and last time I bought it (last year) it was around £8.50

George also had home made food but I did that more because he was epileptic and lots of things, including some commercial foods, could trigger an attack.

Good luck, I hope Megan is soon feeling better.

Just had a quick google to see whether it was indeed the same for dogs as in humans & it does appear so - if you google there are examples of anything from minor problems to diabetes to tumour, milk thistle also being recommended there to.

I hope the vet is able to put your mind at rest that it isn't anything too serious.

• 2 weeks later...