UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

1St Tara And Now Thor

Ian

:mecry: Just over 2 months after losing Tara, just short of her twelth birthday, who I had almost as long as Jo, Joyce & Thor together and who slipped away quietly overnight 31st March / 1st April after fighting problems with her hips and possibly CDRM I've now today had to let my old lad Thor go and join her, Jo and Joyce at the bridge.

Thor had a lump start growing on the outside of his face / lower lip this year but as expected it was his weakening legs that have finished him off.

I'd been trying to nurse him through the last couple of weeks as he became more picky about what he would eat and from where (chicken & my fingers were fine until the last couple of days), the lump began to bleed if knocked and his legs were struggling - initially to get up unaided and finally being all over the place even if helped up.

When he arrived in May 2008 I believed I was just going to help an old lad stay out of kennels, not expecting him to stay but he soon made himself comfortable and was such a lovely old lad that when Joyce left us he ended up staying. I'm so glad that he did and am really going to miss him.

Thor in happier times with Tara (right) and Joyce (left) and Jo below

000_0275.jpg

Jo1.jpg

So very sorry Ian..it's hard losing two so close together I know, as I lost my two poms Kelly and Misty three weeks apart some years ago...the house was so quiet it was unreal. Take some comfort from the fact they had happy lives with you and you did your best for them right to the end. :GroupHug:

Thankyou all, time does help of course but I don't forget them. I've always particularly liked this http://www.indigo.org/rainbowbridge_ver2.html

Thunder & lightning held off just long enough for me to bury my boy today to the sounds of bridge over troubled water, hopelessly devoted to you, endless love and you're my best friend. I now just have the remaining 10% or so of soil, plants and their own little "rainbow bridge" to replace. Somehow I usually find it better when they've had a proper burial though on this occasion I also found that when I walked back into the house - the first time since Nov 2001 that there hasn't been at least one dog there the house seemed even more empty than it usually does after a loss.

Since Jo in November 2006 it seems like, even without considering other woes, it's been one illness / loss after another - Joyce Oct 2008, my Dad Nov 2008, my Uncle July 2011 and now Tara 1st April, Thor 14th June. Whilst I have family it's my dogs that I spend most time with and who have kept me going & (arguably) sane really so I'm really going to miss them & whatever else may happen I certainly wont ever forget them :mecry:

Thankyou all, it is indeed more losses than I would have liked, particularly in such a short space of time, but such is life & we can only "get on with it" I guess!

Knowing I'd lost Tara a neighbour had earlier asked whether I'd be interested in a pup - someone he works with having had an accidental litter. They look like little labs but are lab x lurcher. I decided to go and at least meet them a few days ago, sweet little things & it would be nice to think I wouldn't lose another dog too soon, and yet I know I'll also want to help an older or struggling dog again. I would have expected to prefer a lab to a lurcher somehow, though I've only had Gsd before other than Thor who was a lab x Gsd and yet, in spite of them being undeniably cute & sweet the most affectionate and perhaps appealing dog with / for me that was there was probably Dad - the 5 year old lurcher (Mum is 2.5) who isn't for homing.

It may be that it's just too soon for me whatever the age or breed at the moment, I don't know, and yet the house seems empty without a dog. :(

Edited by Ian