UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Barnum Woolfing His Food

grace

Hi,

I hope someone has a few ideas with how stop Barnum (My GSP) inhaling his breakfast (he is ok a tea time) he is fed on James Welbeloved(suplimented with raw meat and fish) and is a fussy, stressy dog who is very hard to keep weight on...

The problem I have is in the morning (he is fed at 6.00 am) hes inhales his food so fast he just swallows it and is then sick.....any ideas would be very helpful....I have tried putting ice cubes in with the food to slow him down and it worked the fist couple of times...now he just waits until the melt and then inhales his food....(the drool is unnatural)

When Rosie (greedy lab) was younger and used to eat really fast, we had two suggestions - one to scatter her food on a tray and the other to put a ball in her bowl. She was clever enough to pick up and move the ball but the tray slowed her down a bit.

I scatter feed both of mine, and have done for about 5 years now - if it's dry, it goes in the garden, if wet, in the kitchen (and sometimes up the stairs...)

I've never had any food guarding incidents and neither dog has gained or lost weight (I just throw out the total combined that I would normally feed them individually)

Charlie inhales his food, so at Crufts last year we bought him a go slow bowl. It's brilliant, he's gone from inhaling his food and stealing the others' food, to being the last to finish (and the others hovering around him whilst he eats). They sell them at Pets at Home, I think it was about £8 for his size of bowl, but well worth it.

(null)

I have just adopted an elderly dog which was starved in his previous home so he needs 3-4 small meals daily and is putting on weight, however, he hoovers up his food and then wants more immediately as his tummy doesn't know the food has arrived! I bought one of the GULP bowls from PAH and it has been a real success and he he is enjoying his food for longer!