UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Shandy

GoldenOldie

Last Friday my Oldies sponsor dog Shandy went to the Bridge. He was 17 and had lived alone with his elderly owner all his life, hand fed fresh meat from the local chicken shop. He had been alone in her flat for 8 weeks while she was in hospital with one daily visit from family to feed him and let him out before he was signed over to Oldies.

I collected him from a family member, the handover taking place at Lymm Services on Xmas Eve 2010! He had never been in a car and was very frightened and confused. He quickly settled in his basket next to a radiator after meeting his new family of 3 dogs and 4 cats. and, later, 2 grandchildren. and only ventured out for food or to go outside. From day 1 he totally clean and never soiled or wet even when I was at work; getting used to eating dog food from a bowl was a slow but steady progress and in spite of missing several teeth he loved his food until the last few days of his long life.

Sadly he proved to have a serious heart murmur, poor vision and the likliehood of some neurological problem which caused him to have occasional 'episodes' akin to petit mal - these disappeared completely as his life took on a tranquil and stable quality . Because of his difficulties he was kept with me as a sponsor dog and thanks to the Oldies Club lived out his very long life in peace and was a very loved member of our family, also referred to by my vet as 'a special boy' and indeed he was.He loved his walks and meeting other dogs but never really bothered with people

I keep stepping round the space in the kitchen where his basket was next to the radiator after catching my leg on it at least once a week and can still see his white face with his huge bat ears, peering at me waiting for his next walk or meal.

Sleep well old man, I hope you know you were very well loved.