UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Mad March Mumblings

merledogs

I had a lovely camellia in the garden, but last year's cold winter killed it off, sadly.

Owl, I wish I could come and help look for Bones the husky, but since I can only walk about half an hour max on level ground at present (blasted knee is awful at the minute) I don't think I'd be much use trying to get through woods. :unsure: Unfortunately my daughter and her OH are going up to his parents near Liverpool tomorrow or she would have gone looking, but I've told her about Bones and asked her to tell her neighbours to keep a look out, she lives up the hill the other side of the wood, as you know..there's always a chance Bones could have gone up that way. Trouble with huskies, they can run for miles and miles..and there's a lot of places to run.

• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why are some people such knowitalls? Someone on another site is waffling on in reply to a response I gave advising someone of their statutory rights in relation to returning something. I know what I'm talking about d*ckhead, it's part and parcel of my job rolleyes.gif

Why are some people such knowitalls? Someone on another site is waffling on in reply to a response I gave advising someone of their statutory rights in relation to returning something. I know what I'm talking about d*ckhead, it's part and parcel of my job rolleyes.gif

I know what you mean Alex - the only thing is when you are right and know you are the truth comes out and the knowitall looses face biggrin.gif

When I was a union rep I learned to check all my facts, keep abreast of employment and health and safety laws and otherwise be absolutely sure that what I said was correct. I used to deal with a management team that failed to do the same and time and time again and they would end up having to do a climb down rolleyes.gif

Owl I have my fingers crossed that the dog gets found safe and well - and very soon! flowers.gif

Back from Lincs, but no Charlie. 2 guys from the Fell & Moorland came with their tiny fell terrier, they checked the warren thoroughly and no sign. Even Toby who was so keen has now lost interest. So either Charlie got out and moved which is good, or there has been an earth fall and he is over the Bridge. I am feeling very sad :mecry:

Owl unless the fire service is called and rapid digging in the first 24 - 48 hours then sadly the result is usually the same. Ive heard amazing stories of 3 weeks underground and safe but they are very few and far between and often hearsay. Its very sad but the owners have to be so much more proactive immediately. The fire brigade has the heat sensors which will pick the dog if he is there as long as he is alive.

Lesley, I'm not sure how you come to this conclusion but I know of several which have come out after far more than 48 hours and it's not hearsay, it's dogs I've been involved with.

I have had a couple back after being underground for 17 days last July. One was not too bad, the other had to go on a drip overnight. It depends if they are stuck, if there is access to moisture, if they are mobile underground and can catch things or aren't too fussy and will eat soil animals. This year a JRT got himself out after a week minus a tooth and a few claws, and a dachs did the same after 5 days.

Most brigades won't come out unless you know which hole, some e.g. the Gower need the RSPCA to call them first, and in an area with hundreds of rabbit holes in the surrounding fields the owners were stuck until they knew which. You may be right, I should have done battle with the RSPCA and fought to get the local brigade out as soon as the terrier man was delayed. Whether I would have succeeded I don't know. From past experience I know that they don't rush out with heat seeking equipment at the drop of a hat.

If you remember, we managed to get the RSPCA and fire brigade out to Smudge, who belonged to the parents of a member of this forum. They brought audio equipment and a camera to drop down holes, but not heat seeking equipment. We only got them out at all because both Smudge's mum and I heard barking underground, otherwise they would not have been allowed to come.

The terrier men from the F&M also think that 2 to 3 weeks with optimum conditions is not unknown, and a week is not unusual.

Suzeanna, thanks for putting the word out via your daughter. It's a very short run for a dog through the woods to her village. And as it happens, the husky's owner has just called round with news of a sighting, Green Lanes in Dronfield. Husky was seen skulking round the burger van.

Lesley, I'm not sure how you come to this conclusion but I know of several which have come out after far more than 48 hours and it's not hearsay, it's dogs I've been involved with.

I have had a couple back after being underground for 17 days last July. One was not too bad, the other had to go on a drip overnight. It depends if they are stuck, if there is access to moisture, if they are mobile underground and can catch things or aren't too fussy and will eat soil animals. This year a JRT got himself out after a week minus a tooth and a few claws, and a dachs did the same after 5 days.

Most brigades won't come out unless you know which hole, some e.g. the Gower need the RSPCA to call them first, and in an area with hundreds of rabbit holes in the surrounding fields the owners were stuck until they knew which. You may be right, I should have done battle with the RSPCA and fought to get the local brigade out as soon as the terrier man was delayed. Whether I would have succeeded I don't know. From past experience I know that they don't rush out with heat seeking equipment at the drop of a hat.

If you remember, we managed to get the RSPCA and fire brigade out to Smudge, who belonged to the parents of a member of this forum. They brought audio equipment and a camera to drop down holes, but not heat seeking equipment. We only got them out at all because both Smudge's mum and I heard barking underground, otherwise they would not have been allowed to come.

The terrier men from the F&M also think that 2 to 3 weeks with optimum conditions is not unknown, and a week is not unusual.

Suzeanna, thanks for putting the word out via your daughter. It's a very short run for a dog through the woods to her village. And as it happens, the husky's owner has just called round with news of a sighting, Green Lanes in Dronfield. Husky was seen skulking round the burger van.

I remember the Gower one and the performance of phoning. Its a frightening thought of a poor little dog being stuck underground. Its an added advantage of having Giant breeds that I dont have to worry about.

Probably the wrong section but here goes anyway!

A week ago I was subject to an appalling verbal attack of parking rage which was completely unfounded and I'm still reeling from it. My daughter is having an extension built and a new drive and the builders have been very good and cleaned up the pavement every day and been careful with their cars and vans. I had collected my granddaughter from school, done some shopping and got back to my daughters and because there was a delivery of slates being made drove about 6 doors up from her house and went to park, on the road, in front of the wall and not near anyones driveway. the home owner of the other half of the semi was about to drive off in his van with his wife, the latter of whom has passed the time of day beforeas they have 2 rescue dogs. and my daughter also has rescue dogs and I take mine to her house as well. I smiled as I pulled up and was surprised to get a scowl in retirn and him clearly telling me to move off.

I stopped the engine and he pulled out past me and accelerated up the road - burning rubber as they say, and as I was about to get out realised he was racing back. He pulled up alongside and with the window down was screaming at me to move my car, I was always parking there and he was sick of it and so on. My grandaughter was upset and his wife clearly embarrassed. I kept calm and said I had never parked outside his house before (true), was on a public highway anyway and was not causing a blockage. This drove him even further into his rant. I calmly said he was clearly mistaken as he must know that I don't park there as I have a red Peugot 3008 so he couldn't even be mistaking me for someone else. I'm at my daughters house at least twice a week and have been for the last 10 yearsand park outside their house or one or two doors down if the builders are there.This produced a threat of 'you'd better have it moved before I get back hun' which was the last straw for me as hun is not a word I associate with threats! I told him what I thought and he drove off.It was very unsettling and I still have no idea what prompted it. Maybe I was just in the wrong place at the wrong time!

Probably the wrong section but here goes anyway!

A week ago I was subject to an appalling verbal attack of parking rage which was completely unfounded and I'm still reeling from it. My daughter is having an extension built and a new drive and the builders have been very good and cleaned up the pavement every day and been careful with their cars and vans. I had collected my granddaughter from school, done some shopping and got back to my daughters and because there was a delivery of slates being made drove about 6 doors up from her house and went to park, on the road, in front of the wall and not near anyones driveway. the home owner of the other half of the semi was about to drive off in his van with his wife, the latter of whom has passed the time of day beforeas they have 2 rescue dogs. and my daughter also has rescue dogs and I take mine to her house as well. I smiled as I pulled up and was surprised to get a scowl in retirn and him clearly telling me to move off.

I stopped the engine and he pulled out past me and accelerated up the road - burning rubber as they say, and as I was about to get out realised he was racing back. He pulled up alongside and with the window down was screaming at me to move my car, I was always parking there and he was sick of it and so on. My grandaughter was upset and his wife clearly embarrassed. I kept calm and said I had never parked outside his house before (true), was on a public highway anyway and was not causing a blockage. This drove him even further into his rant. I calmly said he was clearly mistaken as he must know that I don't park there as I have a red Peugot 3008 so he couldn't even be mistaking me for someone else. I'm at my daughters house at least twice a week and have been for the last 10 yearsand park outside their house or one or two doors down if the builders are there.This produced a threat of 'you'd better have it moved before I get back hun' which was the last straw for me as hun is not a word I associate with threats! I told him what I thought and he drove off.It was very unsettling and I still have no idea what prompted it. Maybe I was just in the wrong place at the wrong time!

There seems to be more and more bullying around nowdays. Im tired of hearing its because life is hard because often the rage is about something unimportant or even calculated to intimidate someone who doesnt deserve it.

In the old days communities behaved as a group with manners but now days boundaries are crossed by the internet. Sadly one persons vile behaviour is duplicated in real time and so the replication of malicious behaviour and the inevitable downward spiral of morals and politeness careers towards the cesspit our Grandparents worked hard to keep thier familes from.

The fact you know better puts you way above this scumbag. I know its upsetting to be violated in this way but perhaps your Grandaughter will gain a life long preference for good manners because of it.

God knows the world needs a wake up call.

Chin up Hopefully he will meet someone ruder than him ! :flowers:

Had my psychiatrists report - it bares very little resemblence to the words that came out of my mouth..... :mecry:

Dont worry about it

I have PTSD and my doctor regularly describes someone I dont know.

Its just thier opinion thats all

Edited by Trallwm farm