UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Low Fat Dog Food

Pendlewitch

After Cecil's awful attack of pancreatitis on christmas day he has been on Royal Canin food, he has the biscuit mixer and a some of the tinned mixed in as he won't eat either on its own. The price is awesomely expensive, 6 tins were £31.20 and a 12kg bag of mixer is £71!

Is there an alternative at a more reasonable price? I'd spend double if it was all he could have as I don't ever what to see him so ill again but I just wondered if it could be done at a little less cost.

He is incredibly well at the moment, I can't belive how he has bounced back from his illness! :biggrin:

Ouch! Is that priced directly from the vet? I know when Ted was put on a prescription diet last year, our vet told us to buy it online as it would be loads cheaper! We bought it from Hyperdrug, and despite it being a prescription diet, we didn't need a prescription to buy it. Our vet was happy to give us a prescription for it though if we needed one.

There are plenty of better low fat foods out there, such as Arden Grange Lite with Chicken and Rice, Burns foods are low in fat (and if you look on the website under each food it shows the Hills Science and Royal Canin foods which it is an alternative to). For wet food, Naturediet, Arden Grange and Burns flowers.gif

Obviously you can mix the wet and dry in together.

Glad to hear Cecil is doing so well flowers.gif

Edited by merledogs

Thanks all for the helpful replies! :flowers:

Cecil was on Burns then we had a short experiment with Skinners, they seemed ok on it but the amount of poo was horrendous so binned that one. I think I'll gradually get him back on Burns, he was always ok on it and quite likes it. I did check on Hyperdrug for the Royal Canin and the prices were so much lower than the vets!

• 3 weeks later...

I put Rosie on chappie as I know that she is over weight and hoped it would help. However, she doesn't like it and goes without so I think I will have to put her back on Naturediet. I did have her on wee box which she will eat but it looks as if it has a high fat content (not sure though if anyone knows the answer)

As Cecil was so ill I was decidedly wary about changing him off the Royal Cannin but he's begining to dislike it so I'll have to have a go with the Chappie. Maybe I could do half and half to gradually change him over. What about Tuna, is that a possibility?

He's bl**dy marvellous after what he went through!