UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

War Horse

K9Fran

Dont see how you've upset/offended anyone, your post made perfect sense to me :flowers:

At least somebody understands me :flowers:

Now I've gone and had a row with OH, which prolly deserves its own thread. Might need some advice on how to find rented accomodation for me, the kids and the dogs etc.

Is this about horses in the 1st world war?

According to yesterdays Sun millions (65?) of horses went into the war (I didn't even realise they were still so popular for troops by that time) & very few (can't recall the exact figure but it was certainly far less than 1/2 a million) of them came back

:ohmy: How sad. :(

Edited by Ian

Is this about horses in the 1st world war?

According to yesterdays Sun millions (65?) of horses went into the war (I didn't even realise they were still so popular for troops by that time) & very few (can't recall the exact figure but it was certainly far less than 1/2 a million) of them came back

:ohmy: How sad. :(

It is about horses in the Great War Ian. It was the last time horses were used in modern warfare (or at least in such great numbers) There were only mounted troops right at the beginning prior to the protagonists becoming bogged down in trench warfare. After that the horses were used for moving artillery and supplies around. They could get to places the motor vehicles of the time couldn't. The horses suffered terribly mecry.gif

There is a lovely tale however of the soldier who became very fond of one of the horses he worked on a gun team and they both came through the war safely and together.

However all the horses that were left were rounded up and sent to market - many of them ending up in the food chain. What an end for those horses who served under such trying and dangerous conditions mad.gif

Anyway the soldiers horse was taken away to be sold so the soldier sent a telegram to his father requesting the loan of £50. He then desperately sought out the whereabouts of the horse. Somehow he found him and was able to bid for him and buy him. He then rode him home to the family farm in Scotland where the horse worked for his keep before being retired to live out his life quietly some years later.

I haven't read or seen either the book or the film but I have been wondering if Michael Morpurgo used this tale in his story.