UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Garden Fred 2012

eve

Eve excuse me jumping in here but I used to grow and keep a lot of fuchsias and can tell you they unless they are specifically hardy fushsias then they won't survive those sorts of temperatures. They need to be brought in or go in a greenhouse. I once wrapped a few non- hardy specimens up to see if that would help them survive being outside and one did but I forget the name of it now. Eye roll.

The couple of hardy fuschias I did have survived the 3 or 4 winters I had them in my last garden (they may still be there!) but I don't believe we had a winter as cold as -15.

As Maz said, unless they are 'hardy' Fuchsias then they are unlikely to survive outside.

You can overwinter them indoors (and even fool them into being 'dormant') or else take cuttings now and grow them on over the winter on your windowsill :flowers:

All my other plants are overwintered in their tubs outside.

Edited by merledogs

Thanks to you both. I'm hoping last winter was exceptional! They are supposed to be hardy but I will bring them into the conservatory as soon as any hard frosts are forecast. They are two very stubborn little plants - when I had to go to Eastbourne because of my Dad they were left neglected for 5 weeks and though there was some rain there was also a week when temps were around 35 degrees. They were very sorry specimens - just looked like dead twigs - when I got back but now have lots of new leaves and even some buds so they deserve to survive the winter.

• 1 month later...

Having been away for about 3 years I just realised you've not seen my garden in ages. It has particular Rugee reference as Helen put its design into a Refuge Auction and Mark & Sam Squigg bought me it as a housewarming pressie.

I had the hard landscaping done faithfully (except the inclusion of some grass at the end, as Sky refused to pee on slate) but the planting, I must confess, has been a bit ad hoc - gifts from friends, cuttings, garden centre bargains, - and demolition by assorted foster dogs.

It was a bit sparce the first year, the builder dragged it out late into the planting season. Year 2 was getting somewhere, then I had the foster dogs from hell. Year 3 Dad died and I spent a lot of time with Mum and very little here. This summer has been horribly soggy so I've not devoted the time I would have liked to it. But it's looking fuller and softer and much closer to the 'woolly' look I really wanted.

The Plan:

GardenPlananon.jpg

Garden the day I viewed the house:

gardenasbought2.jpg

After shed demolition and fence replacement:

Garden1.png

Groundworks:

9cba08d9-1.jpg

Topsoil and first planting:

Summer2009.jpg

Last summer:

DSCF1337.jpg

This summer:

DSCF2157.jpg

It looks fab & way bigger than the before photo. I'm afraid to say our garden is looking very unloved and unkempt since Ruby was hit by depression &

my condition worsened.

You could win awards with yours Claz, it looks a real little haven of peace. Does your town go in for Britain In Bloom?