UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Poorly Ben

celeste

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just a thought jane, does ben have vitamin c?? when my dad was poorly the dr said that vit c helps with the absorption of iron. when he took his iron tabs he had to drink orange juice and she suggested he did the same at meal times to enure his body got as much iron out of his food as was possible, might be worth asking the vet if it would help ben

I'll ask tomorrow, but dogs produce their own vit C so not sure.

He's much the same today, took him for what would normally be a 10 min walk last night and he had to keep sitting down to get his breath, having been severely anaemic myself I'd imagine he's also feeling a bit light headed when he moves around .

I went to see his old owner yesterday to let her know and she was great, I had worried she'd get herself in a twist but she was very mater of fact and agreed that it would be too much stress for Ben to do any invasive tests ( even if I could afford them ). Even mummy's boy Spuddy would cope, he at least can take comfort from people, whether he knows them or not, but Ben's so aloof he rarely even acknowledges people he doesn't know well.

While I agree that dogs do produce their own vitamin C, it can be extremely beneficial to boost as some dogs can't make enough and any they don't need will be peed out. I supplemented Barty with Vit C for quite a long time when he was young and this has reminded me that it might be beneficial for him to have it again. Also my husband who has a blood disorder too !!!!

I'll ask tomorrow, but dogs produce their own vit C so not sure.

He's much the same today, took him for what would normally be a 10 min walk last night and he had to keep sitting down to get his breath, having been severely anaemic myself I'd imagine he's also feeling a bit light headed when he moves around .

I went to see his old owner yesterday to let her know and she was great, I had worried she'd get herself in a twist but she was very mater of fact and agreed that it would be too much stress for Ben to do any invasive tests ( even if I could afford them ). Even mummy's boy Spuddy would cope, he at least can take comfort from people, whether he knows them or not, but Ben's so aloof he rarely even acknowledges people he doesn't know well.

Sometimes it is okay not to do things :GroupHug:

Sometimes it is okay not to do things :GroupHug:

flowers.gif, I know, doesn't stop me feeling guilty though rolleyes.gif

Ben's in for his x ray, I was so worried about leaving him, but the nurses are so kind and gentle with him, I'm ok now, I took him upstairs to the treatment bit of the practice ( where we met Sue the vets lovely wiggly Lab puppy ) and they were going to put him in a room rather than one of the kennels which will suit him better.

Roll on lunch time.

Just had the vet on the phone and his lungs are riddled with tumours mecry.gifin a way I'm relieved as now I know what I'm dealing with and I've been down this road before. So I'll go and pick him up, have him on steroids and see how he goes, if he doesn't get enough relief then the vet will come out to the house and send him off to Rainbow Bridge

:GroupHug: :GroupHug: :GroupHug: Oh Jane i am so very sorry :GroupHug: :GroupHug: :GroupHug: i know how much you love the big lump :GroupHug: i know i am not close by but if ican help in anyway do let me know :flowers:

Ben was a very lucky boy to have found his way to your home, i hope the steroids give him some relief :flowers:

I'm sorry to read that Ben is so ill.

When I was a child my nana used to take iron for anemia if I remember rightly - or as Merledogs has already said liver is full of iron.

Bone marrow transplants can be done but whether it would help Ben now I'm not sure. You may find this of help if you want to know more about transplants

http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp?cfile=htm/bc/10208.htm

Good luck to you & Ben ijn the weeks ahead :flowers: