UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

December Ding Dongs (Merilly On High)

merledogs

Amy that's shite having that hanging over you and especially at this time of year Group_Hug_Emoticon.gif

Alex it's funny how you just get on with coping with the indoor accidents isn't it? George was terrible the last 12 months of his life and I was forever cleaning up. Every time I found it getting to me I would remind myself that there would come a time when I would look back and wish he was still here to make a mess.

I don't half miss him mecry.gif

• Replies 716
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:GroupHug: :GroupHug: lil angel, i agree not a nice thing to be having hanging over you...... why on earth do people do stuff like this at christmas time :angry:

we got a tablet off carphone warehouse.... we only needed a cheapo for when my parents go on holiday but it is quite good, it is an archos and we paid £80 for it on special offer, you can do the web (not sure about youtube) read newspapers and books, add your music piccies etc

WARNING. Rant alert!

I am sick of getting begging letters from a charity called World Villages For Children. Each letter comes with 12p taped to it and that plus the cost of the postage must be eating into their funds. I have had a total of 12 letters in the last few months containing a total of £1.44.

Wouldn't you think that if someone fails to respond after 2 or 3 of these they would realise that they are wasting their money and stop sending them?

I hate this sort of hard sell and in any case I choose the charities I give too. The £1.44 will be incorporated into my Christmas donation to an animal charity.

The other night I had someone knock on my door trying to get me to take out a monthly DD for Shelter. I was really annoyed that he had ignored both my no cold caller signs and it was a very inconvenient time to call as I was in the middle of making tea. He even had the bloody cheek to argue with me that he wasn't a cold caller. I have given to Shelter in the past but they are now of my list.

I know times are hard for everyone but some charities are doing themselves no favours with their chosen fundraising techniques. I do wonder how many people they alienate in relation to those they manage to sign up.

Group_Hug_Emoticon.gif Amy that's s***, I hope you hear something soon.

Oh Marion, let me join in on your rant. I refuse point blank to sign up to any charity that requires a monthly DD, any charity that offers to send me pictures or things through the post. I want to donate to a charity where my entire donation directly helps the cause, not 3p of it while rest pays for admin, unnecessary pictures or teddy bears rolleyes.gif. I always tell them I'm unemployed with no income and they still try and push the sale. I only donate to charities I know and trust. I hate cold callers and always apologise beforehand that I'll be closing the door on them.

Today is meant to be an easy day, everyone is at work, school or dialysis so I should be able to work in peace but each dog and cat has been behaving like needy / naughty toddlers angry.gif

I don't half miss him mecry.gif

Group_Hug_Emoticon.gif It's two years this month since Milly died and I miss her too mecry.gif

I share your feelings re charities. I give to those which I choose to give to, not those who send the most begging letters or shove tins under my nose (which really irritates me). There's an old fella who collects for a Christian charity and once a year he puts an envelope through the door, then knocks on to collect it. This year I left the envelope stuck on the door with a note asking him not to put it through again, but he still bluddy knocked on the door. I also have a sign telling people not to knock unless they are expected.

I don't mind setting up a direct debit like the one I have to Dogstar for a couple of quid a month, because I don't miss it and I know that all of it is being used as it should flowers.gif

I don't mind setting up a direct debit like the one I have to Dogstar for a couple of quid a month, because I don't miss it and I know that all of it is being used as it should flowers.gif

I'm the same with Oldies. It was my choice to set up a standing order for them - they didn't ask - and I do know every penny is spent helping the Oldies dogs.

I dont like those who push charities im my face. I especially hate the 'Bibs' in town who approach you with their clipboards. Its my choice which charities I give and dont give to.

Ive been hit with losing just over £1000 per annum so will be appealing. :angry:

oh Amy :GroupHug: that is awful. Do you work for a council?

Yes i work for a Council. Its effecting everyone. They claim that only 15% were to go down but pratically everyone I know has lost money. The only ones who seem to be benefitting are the manual workers. We have paid protection for 1 year and can appeal. Its now going to ballot and members of the 3 main unions will vote yes or no. If all 3 come back as Yes it will proceed if any of them come back as a No it gets chucked out and back to Council to be looked at again. I was so stressed last night with the waiting and now seem oddly calm now i know :wacko:

Edited by lil_angel

Yes i work for a Council. Its effecting everyone. They claim that only 15% were to go down but pratically everyone I know has lost money. The only ones who seem to be benefitting are the manual workers. We have paid protection for 1 year and can appeal. Its now going to ballot and members of the 3 main unions will vote yes or no. If all 3 come back as Yes it will proceed if any of them come back as a No it gets chucked out and back to Council to be looked at again. I was so stressed last night with the waiting and now seem oddly calm now i know :wacko:

Hope your appeal is successful and/or the unions can fight against this. Funny how job gradings are fine until there is a so-called need to make cuts. Bet senior management aren't having their jobs evaluated. This is why I took early retirement - my job and grade was safe but those of the people I managed wasn't. Losing me at least gave them a stay of execution, though who knows for how long. I could take the hit more than they could, though their workload and responsibilities have increased for not much more money, at least they still have jobs at a reasonable salary. It always seems to be those who can least afford it and who are at the public face who are most affected :-(