UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Preparing For Winter

loobie

Okay, is it just me who is panicking about the coming winter??? So far I have bought those grippy things for the bottom of the boys shoes, new thermals for the younger two, new warm throws/bedspreads for all the beds and a snow shovel, new coats for the dogs and new fleecy blankets for their beds. I dont know why I am turning into such a worrywort but am getting worried about the coming winter this year and heating the house, it is probably my age :mellow:

I wouldn't say am panicking as such, but am hoping the bad weather holds off until I can afford to buy new tyres for my car. Would be a bit embarrassing to get stuck in a 4x4!!

Having said that though, am trying to keep my heating down as low as I can bear and layer up as am worried about escalating fuel prices.

We are turning down the heating too and piling on the woolies as well. Today we went out and have brought carpet to replace the laminate in the front and back room. Just need to get a Parka coat now and I'm all set.

BTW, Asda's were selling ice/snow covers for tyres the other day. I'm sure it was £35 for a pair

I always use my portable gas heater in the living room during the winter. The room is 23ft long so takes a lot of heating if I use the radiator, plus the cat flap is open cos the cats won't use it otherwise, so any heating on in the hall/kitchen goes straight out. The gas cannisters aren't cheap but I only have to have it on the lowest setting and it heats the room nicely, and I know exactly how much I'm spending on gas. I just have the heating on for an hour in the morning and an hour or two at night, and the rest of the time it's the gas heater - that's if I can get anywhere near it., the dogs usually sprawl themselves in front of it as soon as it comes on laugh.gifwub.gif

I've been hankering after one of these for a few years, which are almost 100% heat efficient, but they are very expensive (and I need new guttering).

You have just spurred me to order a snow shovel off eBay, been after one of those since the horrendous snow earlier this year flowers.gif

I really hope we don't get another bad winter though.

Merledogs I want one of those but am worried about condensation? I have a tiny house with no central heating,just a wall hung gas heater in lounge.It does get quite bad condensation already and I'm not sure whether a gas fire like these would make it worse.Am hoping we don't get snow here,I live off a lane at the bottom of a steep hill so there's no way I can get the car out to get to work.It's only a 30 minute walk but that means leaving the dogs even longer than I have to now plus it's along unlit lanes - not much fun at 9.00pm :rolleyes: But no extra arrangements made for winter,Trixie suffer from cold terribly and I don't want to put her in a coat in case she catches it on something while I'm out but have one of those things to put in microwave for pets - it really reatins the heat for about 8 hours,and I put that under her blanket.

In our new house we have a pre paid gas meter which for the time being I am going to keep so I can see how much it is costing to heat and if I dont have the money the heating wont go on, it is a much larger and older house than my old one and I think will take alot of heating. I did notice the other day that they were sold out of salt in Asda :unsure:

Oo Alex that 'modern' gas heater is so different to the ones I remember and so smart

Edited by loobie

• 2 weeks later...

Merledogs I want one of those but am worried about condensation? I have a tiny house with no central heating,just a wall hung gas heater in lounge.It does get quite bad condensation already and I'm not sure whether a gas fire like these would make it worse.

I think the heat efficient ones don't produce as much condensation - there was a thread on here about it ages ago. I have a dehumidifier as well but rarely need to use it :flowers:

In our new house we have a pre paid gas meter which for the time being I am going to keep so I can see how much it is costing to heat and if I dont have the money the heating wont go on, it is a much larger and older house than my old one and I think will take alot of heating. I did notice the other day that they were sold out of salt in Asda :unsure:

Oo Alex that 'modern' gas heater is so different to the ones I remember and so smart

Tis lovely innit? Re the gas bill - I use Scottish Power and their website is great for managing your account - you can enter your reading and it generates a bill straight away, so you can see what you are spending. You could possibly do that once a month or once a week if required? It also shows your average usage so you can see whether you are using more or less. Not sure how they would compare financially in your area, but they would surely be cheaper than prepay? :unsure: :flowers: