UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Refigerator And Radiator Question

Mags

I just know a Fugee will come up with the answer to this :biggrin:

We have a fridge freezer in the shed (think big unheated warehouse) but when the winter hits, the freezer doesn't work because it gets too cold outside it :wacko: The main reason we got this appliance was to have extra space to stock up on stuff around Christmas time. But we can't put anything into it in winter because it just keeps defrosting.

So......I'm thinking of re-arranging my utility room and bringing the fridge freezer in from the cold. I'll be sacrificing my tumble drier to the shed but I need to cut down on the use of it anyway. But the only place I can put FF is beside a radiator. I stress beside so it's clear that the rad is not behind the appliance (not sure this makes any difference lol).

And so my question is how close can I have FF to the rad? I'm hoping the answer is a couple of inches, otherwise it's not feasible :mecry:

:flowers:

Or if that isn't feasible you could try putting a metal (so it won't melt) mechanics type work light down the back of the freezer near the compressor. The extra heat may fool the temperature sensor into thinking it's warmer than it is hence the compressor won't shut down.

A shed heater would solve the problem or alternatively you could insulate the shed with Kingspan or left insulation

Last option is to look for a make that will work in the shed, eg Bekos say all models work to -10

Thanks everyone. I might have a couple of inches to spare so wouldn't have to be right up against the rad.

Ian, heating or insulating the shed is out of the question. It's approx 60 ft x 45 ft. Calling it a shed is probably an understatement, should call it a barn :laugh: And we don't want to go buying a new one when we have a perfectly good one.

Anyway, I'm experimenting this week and trying not to use the tumble drier. I know I will be able to use the drier in the shed but our electricity bills are ridiculous in the winter so if I only use it in emergencies, it will help the bill. And I don't think I'll want to be traipsing in and out in the snow, rain, wind, etc.

Thanks for link Ian. I'll check that out tomorrow.

K9Fran, the problem with insulating around FF is that in the summer it would then be too hot so would have to be taken down. I don't really want to turn off the rad as the utility room is at one end of the kitchen and the kitchen is quite cold so needs all the heat it can get.

• 3 weeks later...

Outside o rin shed The fluids get sluggish in the extra cold thats when they cut out. Th e thickest bit settles in then in the compressor . Contact fit a sump heater or a wine making tray to the compressor and provide it with power.

Inside by radiator... there's as special plug that switches off the power when the ff is working economically. This can help balance out the extra power required to cool as an allowance for the heat from the radiator. Also use blue ice packs used in freezer boxes to fill any voids and also remove excess packing .