UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

I Am So Proud Of Tigger And Daisy

Mrs B

We took Tigger and Daisy to their first ever Agility competition on Sunday - just a local unaffiliated, but run according to KC rules sort.

For those who know my Tigger Dawgus, you will understand that I had some nervous Mummy moments as I wondered if he would cope, and I would cope and people would behave around him and not get in his face and scare him to death before we started. As for my little Daisy, I just hoped no-one would get in her face and be sniped for their troubles!

As far as their social skills were concerned, they behaved impeccably - well, there was the moment when Tigger mugged his friend from training because she was holding someone elses bag which just happened to contain some Mrs B treats - which was a great improvement on what was in Mrs B's bag. :laugh:

As Mr B and I had never had anything to do with Agility until we had had Tigger for a while, it has always been a case of us learning at the same time as Tigger and Daisy, so it's been slow progress all round. Tigger lurves agility .......... as long as he can do it on his terms. This meant that our tour of the practice ring resulted in him going round, under and through everything - just unfortunately not anything at all he was supposed to go round under or through! My biggest fear was that he would get in this outdoor, large, grass ring, and go "oh no, I only do small, sandy, indoor rings" and stand there and bark at everyone until we were chucked out. The reality was slightly different as he just decided that the Judges had no idea of course construction and that he could improve things by doing all the obstacles in a much improved Tigger order - and demolish anything not fitting his wishes - but there were moments of brilliance when we actually managed consecutive jumps - and all in all he had a ball.

And then there was little Daisy. As her previous owners described her to us as "untrainable" you will not be surprised to hear that she just didn't care that this agility course was in a totally different environment to anything she had seen before. My first run out, and she sailed round. As I set off my heart was in my mouth as I indicated where she should go - all my nervous moments as she managed not to go straight on when I wanted her to go right, and didn't nip my ankles when I pointed her in the direction of the tunnel set up in a U shape, and zoomed on hitting every contact, and achieving a clear round :ohmy: Proud Mummy may just have had a tear or two in her eye at that point - especially as this translated into a 2nd place! We had a couple of courses at the next level, with higher jumps, and we just haven't had the practice at those recently, so we'll gloss over that, but Mr B took Daisy in for Jumping and managed a clear round and a 1st. :biggrin:

After we'd finished all our rounds, I was called by the Show Secretary to collect Tigger's rosette, which confused me completely seeing as I knew we had achieved eliminations in everything - it seemed that the Judge for the Helter Skelter had awarded Tigger a "Judge's Special" because he was so happy and enjoyed himself so much, and made her giggle - I believe that may have had something to do with the fact that we did seem to want to fit the one tunnel in as many times as possible! Maybe that was an event more special moment for me to think that Tigger has come from being scared to death of everything, to enjoying a life which includes tunnels, obstacles and jumps.

Although there were one or two people there we knew, there weren't that many, but I have received an e-mail from the Show Secretary today - to say that Tigger and Daisy have become celebrities amongst the regulars there. :unsure:

I'm just a very very proud Mummy. :wub: :wub:

Sorry, I don't think we managed to take any photos - we were just too busy trying to work out how to be in the right place at the right time with the right dog in the right frame of mind. We will do a photo shoot in the next few days so we can show off the rosette collection!

You're absolutely right greys mum - the aim for me for the perfect outcome from the day was for Tigger and Daisy to have a fun day out, without being stressed or overreacting - the fact that they did have fun and didn't overreact made the day just perfect. :)

• 1 month later...