UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Introducing Rescue Dog Into A Home With Cats

Anne Grose

Hello everyone, can I have some advice please. Some friends of ours are thinking of taking on a rescue dog. They have two Burmese cats one 10 and the other 11 - one is quite nervous and they have never lived with a dog. The dog in question has lived with cats and therefore is not a chaser it would just need to get used to the new cats.

This is not my area of expertise and I wondered if you had any suggestions for how the dog should be introduced into the household so that the cats don't make a run for it. The dog is used to a cage and I will lend them mine to start them off.

I can help them with the dogs other behavioural problems but apart from some basic advice of keeping dog on lead when it first comes into contact with the cats I am a bit lost.wacko.gif

Thanks in advance

Annebiggrin.gif

Thank you Amy et al. That is a really good piece on your website. I found the Dogs Trust leaflet too and have passed it all on. I really hope we can get this to work as the dog in question really needs out of the home it is in and the likelihood of finding such a good home as this potential one is virtually nil down here.

Anne

I have two very nervous cats and it generally takes them a good few weeks to get used to a new dog coming into the house. For the first few days they hide upstairs and then start to venture down slowly, but they still tend to give the dogs a wide berth and climb up on the back of the sofa and then onto the tables when walking past them- basically anywhere that they have a vantage point!

I think like you already said, it is important to keep the dog on the lead when doing introductions. If I am unsure about a dog, I tend to keep the lead on for a few days so that I can grab it if they do suddenly decide that chasing the cats would be quite fun! I also make sure that I do lots of petting of both the dog and the cats so that they can see that they are both important to me- if that makes any sense! Some times I also swap their bedding so that they can get used to each others scents.

It is important that the cats have an area that they can go to that is exclusively for them, like a 'safe place' some where that the dog can't get to. I also make sure that I spend plenty of time giving the cats attention so that they don't feel pushed out in any way. But I think the most important thing is to just have lots of patience and let them find there own way in time. It doesn't hurt to give them a few extra treats too- bribery always helps!!!!