UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Please Welcome Megan

JulesB

At long last please welcome our new(ish) girl Megan :wub:

Back in February I posted that we were having no luck in finding a steady older lurcher girl, and Annie kindly posted a link to Megan on the Black Beauties site.

Cat friendly or at least workable was the only real ‘must’ on our list, and what we had in mind was a smallish, dainty lurcher girl, not too big, bouncy or playful as little Whuppety Jake is about 14 now, a bit wobbly on his pins and doesn’t 'do' playing.

Anyway, we rang the kennels and were told she was a nice steady girl, a bit bouncy when her lead came out but lovely natured with other dogs.

We did a 9-hour round trip of a drive to ‘visit’ her (yeah, like we were ever going to come back without her :laugh: ), only to find out she’d been at our local pound before the rescue took her in and sorted out a transport run - which we worked out later, had nearly involved us :rolleyes:

When the kennels brought her out she was quite a distance away so looked nice and small, but as she got nearer we realised how flipping massive she is :ohmy: At 37 kilos we couldn’t decide at first if she’s a big fat greyhound, although she’s not *that* pointy and can do a true sit, or maybe a grey crossed with a black lab - she’s an enthusiastic eater and if a treat appears she flings herself backwards into the fastest bottom-to-floor move I’ve ever seen.

I was a bit hesitant because of her size and the potential for little Jake getting knocked over, but the OH (Captain Sensible) sensibly pointed out that her temperament was lovely, she tested fine with the resident stunt cat in the cattery while we were there, and everything else could be managed.

She’s not at all interested in our demon cat, in fact she gives him a very wide berth. She’s clean in the house, doesn’t chew, bark or complain when left. She’s light as a feather on the lead and very obedient, and loves kids, adults, dogs, horses and chickens. She’s fine about having her teeth looked at, her feet wiped etc and absolutely loves a ride out in the car.

I can’t fault her at all, she’s so friendly and permanently cheerful :biggrin: Will boing up and down a bit when she sees her lead/a cat/a squirrel but quickly settles. Loves a run in an enclosed area, we don’t let her off in open spaces yet as her recall is not brilliant, she’s too easily distracted.

She’s 11 years old and was a hand in, but has been well looked after with great teeth, a shiny coat, a few lumps and bumps, and is chipped and speyed. I can’t believe she hadn’t been snapped up - from hand in to rehoming with us had taken about three months. I like to think her owners simply couldn’t look after her any more, I’d love to be able to tell them she’s safe and happy.

Her and Jake get on really well, he's got used to having his face slapped by her endlessly wagging tail, and occasionally getting knocked off his feet but it doesn't seem to bother him, he lives in his own little world on Planet Whippet now :rolleyes:

We think she’s beautiful but others might see her as a big, plain, black, middle aged girl and maybe that's why she has been overlooked. But she’s a much loved part of our little family now, and she’s going nowhere :wub:

On the Black Beauties site:

MeganonBlackBeauties.jpg

With Whuppety Jake:

Megan2Feb2011.jpg

Watching telly with OH:

iphonepicsMay2011570.jpg

Helping in the garden:

014.jpg

Stressed to bits and not settling at all in her new home:

iphonepicsMay2011564.jpg