UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Our Beautiful Boy, My Soul Dog Boysie Has Gone......

Maria

What a way to end a holiday :mecry:

We've been in the Lake District the last week, and instead returning with happy memories, we are stunned to have lost our boy :mecry:

Nothing untoward happened until Friday - we've all walked miles and miles, and wondered at how a nearly 14 year old dog could keep up :wub: We met up with a friend and her lovely trailhounds on Sunday for a walk, and the little man was doing so well.....

Friday, on our last walk, we had to do a quick retreat from some charging farm dogs - and as we did so, Boysie screamed and couldn't put weight on his back right leg...

It took a while to get round the dogs, and we had to carry Boysie until we got to the road and I walked back to get the car. Took Boysie to a vet, then sent to another for x-rays - his leg was broken, and the vet said it was like an RTA break :ohmy:

We agreed it would be best to bring him home to our vets for what we thought would be a pinning / plate exercise, so he had pain relief. One restless night , an early start and a 6 hour drive later, we headed straight to our vet, who didn't like the look of the x-ray and suspected bone cancer :ohmy:

We left him there for more x-rays, and to ponder what to do if it was cancer and not just a break. We decided that if he had been a younger dog, we would have gone for amputation / chemo, but as he's also had other health issues since Jan, and was struggling on 3 legs, we felt it would be kinder to let him join Smudge if he did have the 'worst'.

Which he did :mecry:

So, at 5pm yesterday, we went to say the final goodbye to our little man , and today we will take him on his final journey :mecry: We hope we have made the right decision for him, as although it was tempting to try and keep him with us for longer........ we think that would have been for us, not him......

Can't believe we have lost both our dogs within 7 months - stunned and heartbroken doesn't even begin to cover it, especially as he had shown no symptoms :mecry:

Goodnight, and God Bless my beautiful Boysie :wub: You have taken a big part of me with you - go find Smudge, and have a good rest until we meet again :wub:

CS20110505-NorthYorkMoors15103.jpg

So sorry for your loss :GroupHug:

Our dear Jester was diagnosed with lung cancer last Novemeber & we had to let him go only 4 days later. He'd only recently had a lovely holiday & shown no signs of illness. I think dogs can hide it so well and just carry on as normal.

We still feel robbed of a final few years but now we are over the shock, I think we are also grateful that his period of suffering was so short and his final days/weeks full of happy times :flowers: