UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Pdsa To Discriminate On Pedigrees?

Ian

As part of PDSA’s commitment to animal welfare, PDSA has reviewed its registration criteria at its hospitals for pedigree pets in an effort to promote responsible pet ownership.

the instances of multiple pedigree pets being presented at PDSA hospitals by individual clients, has risen. The charity has become increasingly concerned by the growing number of clients actively acquiring more than one pedigree pet without fully considering the implications of doing so.

So, acquiring a pedigree type of dog ( apparently it is pedigree dog or what looks like a pedigree) is irresponsible.

Do PDSA therefore want all the pedigree dogs in rescue to be left there, as it would be irresponsible to adopt one?

Not really a responsible attitude from a charity committed to the welfare of animals.

They offer to give advice to those affected by the change. Would that be the PDSA insurance advertised on their website?

I have worked with PDSA vets ( who were volunteering for DS ) and they have said that whilst a lot of clients are in great need of the services the PDSA offers equally they do see owners who clearly are buying multiple animals and then somehow still being eligible for treatment. One Vet told me of a client who was planning to breed from her dog and still wanted the PDSA to provide free treatment ( but I can't remember if they did )

Our Vet said it was an amazing service but like all good ( free ) services there are always people who will try and take advantage , its pretty tough running even a small charity that has a greater demand for services than resources and I would not want to try and work out who deserved what at a national level

PDSA keep changing their response

First it was that people could afford to buy pedigree dogs but wanted free or subsidised treatment.

Then it was pointed out that pedigrees from rescue cost no more than a crossbreed.

Also someone could have got their dogs when they were able to afford veterinary treatment but suffered an illness or lost their job etc.

then it changed to people breeding their pedigree dogs.

Now if you have a neutered pedigree, or pedigree type, there will be no breeding.

People breed crosses. Look at how many staffie crosses there are.

You could have one pedigree bitch that you breed- you would still be entitled to PDSA treatment for her, apart from anything to do with breeding.

It might have been more appropriate to offer discounted neutering.

Now it is that pedigree dogs are more likely to health problems.

PDSA say

The vast majority of current hospital patients (93%) are unaffected, meaning only 7% will be affected by this new policy.

So not such a big problem , then.

PDSA is no longer able to support people who actively acquire multiple pedigree pets without being able to commit to their long-term health and welfare needs.

Should people not be able to to commit to the long term health and welfare needs of crossbreeds?

Why not apply the new policies to new clients?

At the end of day PDSA are entitled to spend their money where they want , within the terms of their constitution.

It just seems unfair to discriminate against one section of the dog/cat world ( the policy applies to pedigree cats as well).

Somebody's three crossbreeds could cost a lot more than one pedigree dog.

Noe of my pedigree dogs have had health problems.

The only one that cost Petplan a fortune was accident prone, but otherwise very healthy, so nothing to do with breed.

That could indicate various things I suppose - eg could it be that

Different people are responding & aren't sure of the true rationale?

The potential PR back lash is not what they were expecting & having been caught by surprise they are now trying to dig themselves out of a hole?

They don't want to put the true rationale into print because it doesn't look good - ie are they possibly proposing this because pedigree dogs are costing more than x breeds on a like for like / age basis & hence they want to reduce numbers treated?

A well thought out policy supposedly supported by 88% of donors / supporters in research surely shouldn't be hard to justify / "stand up" to the population as a whole should they? :unsure:

• 4 weeks later...