UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Jake Just Had A Sort Of Fit

JulesB

About half an hour ago my whippety lad Jake went out in to the garden for a sniff about, ambled back in and started having a drink of water. Then he suddenly started screaming and running round the room, weeing himself and panicking. This lasted for about 15 minutes and then he started gradually calming down. His heart is still going very fast and he's still panting a bit.

His gums and tongue are red - a bit too red maybe, and I can't find anything on him that seems to hurt. I was really scared when he was running around, thought he was having some sort of fit or brain haemorrage or something.

I've spoken to the vet nurse and she said maybe he'd been stung out in the garden, which is possible but he'd been back in the house for several minutes before he started screaming. I can't see any wasps etc in the house or garden. It was almost like he'd had an electric shock, the nearest I can get to it is if he was human I'd say he was having hysterics.

I've had him out on the lead and he's had a wee and a poo, but as soon as he'd done them he was frantic to get back home.

Has anyone got any ideas or advice please? The nurse said to give him an hour or so to see if he calms down. There is a vet on call at the centre 24/7 so I can take him in if necessary.

cripes that must have been dreadful for you both Group_Hug_Emoticon.gif have no idea as to cause but when I fostered a dog that had seizures ( due to epilepsy ) I was told to rub honey into gums post fit as it helped with sugar levels and I remember the gums were always very pale ( not sure that helps but its the only relevant thing I can think of )

How is Jake this morning ?

Poor Jake and how scarey for you :GroupHug:

I know that greyhounds get cramp, do you think whippets might do too? I'm not sure how you could tell if that was the problem, maybe if he is sore in one of his legs? Anyway, really hope that he is back to normal this morning.

Thanks everyone. He settled down after a couple of hours and seems OK this morning, if anything his gums are a bit pale. Karen, I thought of cramp too as he's had it before but he usually hops about shrieking and holding the crampy leg up and he wasn't doing that last night. The sting theory seems to fit best, maybe some insect got on him in the garden and then stung him a few minutes later when he was inside.

Sam, that's a useful tip about the honey. Tess used to have the occasional epileptic-type fit but I never thought to try that.

I've just been speaking to Phoenyx Jules and she said if the water I'd just put down for him was straight out of the cold tap, maybe he's got an exposed nerve and got a shock from the cold water. His suffers a bit with his teeth and has had several of them out so I think I'll take him to the vet and see if he needs another dental next week, just to be on the safe side.

I was so scared, I thought he was having a seizure and was going to die :mecry:

We're going for a little potter in the woods shortly, to stretch his legs and then it's scrambled egg and chicken for his breakfast, as he's been a poorly lad.