UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Cbt

K9Fran

Has anyone tried this for 'work phobia' and/or rejection?

Basically, I've always been a high achiever, but prone to stress/anxiety when I perceive I could 'fail' - dropped out of O level accounts because I was 'only' getting 6/10 (still took the exam and got a D after only attending 6 lessons)

Left school at 17 and worked at a Stud, but had to give up due to a back injury. Started 'temping' where mistakes were accepted, but struggled when the assignment came to an end as I always felt it was personal.

I became a Mum aged 22, and suffered with PMT - again, common among high achievers :( Started temping again when little one was 5 - more signs of stress and had a breakdown after a couple of years. Returned to work again, this time perm, but not happy with the level of mistakes I was making and would change jobs every year or so (before they could reject me) In 1992, after 12 years of marriage, and 18 months in a job I loved, I was sacked for a minor mistake (entering a credit note as an invoice)(they could do that in those days, you have to have been employed for 2 years before you had any security. At the same time my marriage broke down and we got divorced.

A year later I met big Dave and we settled down, had two wonderful boys and I became a SAHM until 2004 - started working SE, but by 2007 we needed a more dependable income due to large credit card debts - so I started temping again - struggled with the 'rejection' side of it again (broke down several times in work, during this time Big Dave was in hospital with a AB resistant infection in his leg - this has now recurred!) Secured a 'perm' job in Feb 2008, only to be made 'redundant' (it was actually to cover maternity leave in everything but name), found my dream job a week later - was made redundant from that just before Christmas last year (still paranoid that it was the number of mistakes I made, even though I know I was struggling to maintain my level of service as the business more than doubled its income during the 2 years I was there and two additional staff were taken on to 'sell' but I had no extra time to provide support for these extra 'sales')

Now I find myself panicking when asked to apply for a job that feels like it's going to put me back in this position again - I just can't take that again)

Could CBT help?

You sound just like my daughter.

There were issues that she hadn't dealt with earlier in her life, Feeling low, and never felt that she was good enough to do the nursing exams. Being a perfectionist, one word wrong, rip it up and start all over again. She put herself under soooooooo much pressure.

Doctor had given her pills that worked for a while, then the cycle started again. Then another Gp send her for Cbt and it has worked. Not saying it was easy. She had to confront things about herself she didn't want to. They were brilliant and they always treat each as an individual. There were there for her all the way. She had a phone number that she could call at anytime, (I DO mean anytime, if she felt she had lost her way.) Not one treatment fits all in that department.

If you are offered it. GO FOR IT. You will have everything to gain.

Good luck and be kind to yourself. :GroupHug: :GroupHug: (Something my daughter had forgotten to do)

ETA. Yes it could and probably will help.

Edited by greys mum

I have an old friend who has just completed a course of CBT - he's an actuary and has a very pressured and stressful job with long hours. He reckons it helped.

(I reckon he should give up having such a stressful job and get one doing something more relaxing for less time, the money isn't worth stressing yourself into an early grave. He doesn't agree. rolleyes.gif )

I prefer the concept of person centred counselling myself but CBT is a popular method , eg with the NHS etc & may help you if changing the way you think & act is what you want from counselling. Have a look at

http://www.rcpsych.ac.uk/mentalhealthinfoforall/treatments/cbt.aspx

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Cognitive-behavioural-therapy/Pages/Introduction.aspx

If person centred doesn't mean anything to you try

http://www.pandc.ca/?cat=carl_rogers&page=rogerian_therapy

http://www.person-centered-counseling.com/carl_rogers.htm