UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Urgent Dog Warden Related Advice Needed

KathyM

Hi - I've been rung a couple of times today by a lady I know locally who found a dog straying and took him home for the dog warden to collect today. He was in a bit of a situation picking fights with other dogs and hanging around the school, nearly hit by a bus and frightening the kids (no real reason behind this other than the dog aggression I believe). Anyway she rang Terry Singh's marvellous Bradford dog warden team today and was told if she couldn't keep him overnight she was to let him loose (allegedly, obviously I'm only getting one side). He is currently in her back yard with a makeshift shelter and it is gale force winds and rain here. Anyway I've tried to get in touch with any local contacts with no luck, it's been a short amount of time but the situation was getting desperate. Baz has gone to collect him as we have not managed to find him a bed for the night.

I had surgery a couple of weeks ago and am in no state to have a dog here (and Baz is partially sighted so it's not like we can make do for a few weeks or whatever, it would not be good for the dog), but what can I do. Anyway - tomorrow he has to go to the dog warden but I wondered what are the legal alternatives? Not for me to keep him, but for him to go into a rescue where he won't be put down for being a red and white staffy cross? I'm not really happy about handing him over if he is likely to be put down (they have in the past said that staffy crosses tend to be).

A stray dog handed to the dog warden becomes council property after seven days and the owner has no further claim on it.

If the dog is retained by the finder- or a rescue- they must keep the dog for 28 days before selling or rehoming it. The original owner can reclaim the dog at any time.

Thank you. I understand I might not be able to post an urgent plea for this one but I am concerned after previous dealings with my local dog warden service that he will be put down. I cannot keep him here for any length of time, I can manage overnight, but according to the lady that found him the dog warden is due at 9am. If anyone has any rescue contacts to try I would appreciate the help. Otherwise I have no choice but to hand him over.

This is probably a really numpty suggestion, but could you let the dog warden take him tomorrow, but tell them you'll take him after his 7 days are up. That then gives you a week to find a rescue space for him.

You've probably thought of that already though.

This is a difficult one, legally he has to do his 7 days in the pound (or 28 days with his finder) before he can be rehomed or placed elsewhere. He will at least be safe and can't be pts until his time is up- and of course it's possible he will be reclaimed in that time.

Rescues aren't normally prepared to take strays until their 7 days are up and legally can't do so without the DW's consent. It may be better to try to find a rescue who will take him after his time in the pound is up, but that's not going to be easy mecry.gif

I think trying to convince the dog warden we'll have him when I am laid up post surgery is going to be impossible. I could try but it would be a bluff and then at the end of the 7 days without a space I am the evil person who has him put down aren't I? I am praying his owner comes forward but they've only got til morning and noone's going to find him before then are they. I have posted him on Doglost and all over Facebook, contacted Northern SBT rescue and posted on the RDR forum too. I don't think there's anything more I can do. How crap is that.

The dog warden is on their way here this morning to run through his options. If he is taken he will go to Fleet Lane Kennels in Bradford. When I asked whether Fleet Lane pts after 7 days, she asked if he was a staffie, which obviously he clearly is. They suggested I phone Fleet Lane and speak to them with his reference number so they are aware people are looking for a place for him. Unfortunately my one previous experience with them was years ago and was poor. I am hoping they have improved but who am I to be picky.

The dog warden is on their way here this morning to run through his options. If he is taken he will go to Fleet Lane Kennels in Bradford. When I asked whether Fleet Lane pts after 7 days, she asked if he was a staffie, which obviously he clearly is. They suggested I phone Fleet Lane and speak to them with his reference number so they are aware people are looking for a place for him. Unfortunately my one previous experience with them was years ago and was poor. I am hoping they have improved but who am I to be picky.

Try Rescue Remedies/Staffyrescue. I'll pm you Lynne's email address. I she hardly ever refuses staffies, though how she shoehorns them in I never know.

Just to say the dog warden came this morning and recommended he stay here very short term as he would be put down in the council pound (they are massively over-run with SBTs and she was being very candid). As I have not found anyone working with Fleet Lane to get dogs out I had to go on her word and so he is here. I am assured that legal ownership to the old owner is forfeited after the 28 days and we are now looking for a rescue placement for him ASAP with the warden's blessing. I can discuss this further in PM with any rescue willing to help us. Please ring via the Doglost contact details or my home number if you have it, I can't sit at the computer any longer and desperately need to lie down.

ETA: RDR asked and full (huge thanks for their reply). Northern SBT Rescue contacted. Rescue Remedies contacted. Poor Little Pets contacted. Dogs Trust unable to help other than with reduced cost neutering.

Edited by KathyM

Hi , I have been trying to think of some way of helping since i first read this. Sadly I cant sort anything out except the possibility of somebody from lncashire travelling to talk the dog out for a walk.

I cant take in at the mo because of an aggro problem betwqeen two ofthe existing residents ,( and am in Brum so its a bit silly)

You mention Facebook , but My searchs turn up nothing that might lead to you. Can you give me the addy .

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/profile.php?id=100002059104392

This situation is URGENT. I am getting to the point where we will be forced to hand him over to the pound.

This can be locked now, unfortunately we haven't even managed to get help with walking or postering so we will be ringing the dog warden in the morning and letting him go to Fleet Lane. At least he got a few extra days with someone who cared.