UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

February's Fascinating Fandangles

Mrs B

I have just ordered myself a pirates skull and cross bones eye patch to wear after my op so that I can read and use the pc while I wait to get contact lenses sorted out - its about the only way I can think of that will allow me to have some quality of life for the week or more it might take to get it all sorted - its entirely possible I'm worrying over nothing but given that with my lenses in all I can actually do is watch tv and cant even make a flipping phone call let alone do anything else in the house its eye patch or spend the time slowly climibg the walls and gradually building to a level of frustration that could prove harmful to everyone elses health :wacko:

patch.jpg

• Replies 641
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Snow, not sure what sort of lenses you have, but when I moved to varifocal contact lenses it took me a while for them to settle down .......... except they didn't because they were "wrong", and then the next ones were "wrong" and it was the third attempt before I could actually see - oh, and I do actually have complete confidence in my optician!

Is it worth asking for them to be checked again?

Apologies if you've already talked about this - I'm not caught up at all.

Snow, not sure what sort of lenses you have, but when I moved to varifocal contact lenses it took me a while for them to settle down .......... except they didn't because they were "wrong", and then the next ones were "wrong" and it was the third attempt before I could actually see - oh, and I do actually have complete confidence in my optician!

Is it worth asking for them to be checked again?

Apologies if you've already talked about this - I'm not caught up at all.

I haven't really updated so you haven't really missed anything - I'm having cataract surgery on Friday the result of which cannot be predicted until after surgery it'll either give me perfect distance vision or leave me with a much much lower prescription for that eye than it is at the moment. The problem is I'm -8.00 in my other eye and the difference between the two eyes will mean my brain cannot match the images from both my eyes, chances are I'll have double vision or blurred vision - I wont be able to wear glasses to correct this so have to have contact lenses, either I'll manage with just 1 for my right eye or as seems likely now contacts for both eyes.

I started a lens trail last Monday and the first set of contacts were far too strong resulting in very blurred vision close up, I got new less powerful ones on Wednesday which are great for distance but still utterly useless for close up, so I cannot read anything or use the pc etc. I've been speaking to my optician, and the consultant and Gooster has been ever so patient with me asking her silly questions via pm every time I have another panicky wibble :laugh: As I understand it until I have the surgery we cant do anything about the reading issue and after surgery I'm probably going to have to try mono lenses - one lens for distance one for reading - but I cant even get my eye tested until after surgery and then I wont be able to wear a lens in that eye until the eye has healed, so there's going to be an unavoidable time lag where my eyes wont work together properly. It means I cant work - which is an anxiety all of its own as I only get paid for the work I do so no work = no pay :wacko: I have come up with a possible work around of my own take the fixed eye out of the equation by wearing a patch on that side and wearing my current glasses around the house so at least I can function normally until it all gets sorted out, whether it'll work or not remains to be seen but if it does at least I wont go stark staring mad whilst waiting for a more permanent solution.

Are you taking 'before' pics Marge, shall we having an allotment thread :biggrin: :pinkie:

I am going to put my name on the waiting list here. It's years long and I might never get one so I have to get my allotment kicks second hand.

I have updated my thread here http://www.therefugeforums.org.uk/forums/index.php/topic/52030-my-noo-allotment/page__view__findpost__p__919092

:laugh: @ allotment kicks!

morning all, feel run down this morning easy

:GroupHug:

quote name='safneo'

Marge, have you drawn up a plan of what/when you are planting yet?

Yes, it's here

http://www.therefugeforums.org.uk/forums/index.php/topic/52030-my-noo-allotment/page__view__findpost__p__919092

Enjoy the party :flowers:

Good luck for the op Snow :flowers:

I'm glad you got the answer you wanted Mrs B, I didn't have a clue :flowers:

We got in 1 1/2 hrs on the allotment before rain stopped play. That was long enough though, progressed a little, albeit slowly. :whistle:

It pizzed down during our walk yesterday, then stopped shortly after we got back and was dry until shortly after we left home this morning, without my raincoat. By the time I got out of the car it was pouring down and I got soaked to the skin by the time we got back in rolleyes.gif Sure enough, it's dried up again now.

I haven't really updated so you haven't really missed anything - I'm having cataract surgery on Friday the result of which cannot be predicted until after surgery it'll either give me perfect distance vision or leave me with a much much lower prescription for that eye than it is at the moment. The problem is I'm -8.00 in my other eye and the difference between the two eyes will mean my brain cannot match the images from both my eyes, chances are I'll have double vision or blurred vision - I wont be able to wear glasses to correct this so have to have contact lenses, either I'll manage with just 1 for my right eye or as seems likely now contacts for both eyes.

I started a lens trail last Monday and the first set of contacts were far too strong resulting in very blurred vision close up, I got new less powerful ones on Wednesday which are great for distance but still utterly useless for close up, so I cannot read anything or use the pc etc. I've been speaking to my optician, and the consultant and Gooster has been ever so patient with me asking her silly questions via pm every time I have another panicky wibble :laugh: As I understand it until I have the surgery we cant do anything about the reading issue and after surgery I'm probably going to have to try mono lenses - one lens for distance one for reading - but I cant even get my eye tested until after surgery and then I wont be able to wear a lens in that eye until the eye has healed, so there's going to be an unavoidable time lag where my eyes wont work together properly. It means I cant work - which is an anxiety all of its own as I only get paid for the work I do so no work = no pay :wacko: I have come up with a possible work around of my own take the fixed eye out of the equation by wearing a patch on that side and wearing my current glasses around the house so at least I can function normally until it all gets sorted out, whether it'll work or not remains to be seen but if it does at least I wont go stark staring mad whilst waiting for a more permanent solution.

Snow

My hubby had a cataract op in August. He removed the lens for the eye with the op from his specs (it just slipped out) and used them until he could get his eye test six weeks after the op.

He was able to function normally and nobody noticed he had one lens missing.

As he had been fuctioning with only sight in one eye anyway he said it wasn't any different.

It pizzed down during our walk yesterday, then stopped shortly after we got back and was dry until shortly after we left home this morning, without my raincoat. By the time I got out of the car it was pouring down and I got soaked to the skin by the time we got back in rolleyes.gif Sure enough, it's dried up again now.

We had the same this morning. Drowned rats we were! :rolleyes:

MIL enjoyed her tea party though was poorly last night and this morning so wasnt eating. She soon perked up when she saw the chocolate cake we bought her. :biggrin:

Snow, I hope the patch works so you can have some kind of normality until your eye heals :GroupHug:

Just to jump in here, snow won't be able to just take one lens out of her spex as the difference between the eyes is too much and she will get double vision as there will be different image sizes in each eye. However with contact lenses the image size won't be affected as the lenses sit on the eyes as opposed to 12mm away. That's why it is really important for snow to get on with the contact lenses, otherwise she will need to have another op sooner.