UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Sheltie Type Grooming Advice

sproggie14

I wonder if fugees can offer us any advice on this.

Begley is (we think) a collie cross sheltie. He has a long, very thick coat. Really it needs brushing every day to keep it good but he HATES being brushed. After six years we've got him to the point where he doesn't mind his shoulders and back being brushed so they're ok, his neck (which is very fluffy) I can usually do but not enough but his bum, which is the worst bit, is always matted. And when I say he hates being brushed, I mean he literally poops himself with fear when we do it :( We've kept on top of it a bit by bathing him and really going for it while his fur is wet which seems to help but he still poops himself when we do this.

He has a chronic ear thing going on and I'm sure this isn't helped by his coat being a mess and he really can't be comfortable with his coat the way it is. I've often pondered taking him to a groomers but I know he'd hate it, poop himself and he'd need to be muzzled as he will snap if it hurts (it's a very half hearted attempt which I take no notice of and I know he'd never draw blood but I'd have to tell the groomer and they'd have to muzzle him as I can't expect them to trust that a dog they don't know won't actually bite them). It's certainly not something I'd want to put him through very often. At the moment the only solution I can think of is to have his coat cut right back professionally and then see if we can keep on top of it if we start from scratch. But I've never had a dog which needed professional grooming before so I have no idea what the right thing to do would be.

So, can anyone give me an idiots guide to professional grooming, what sort of thing might work for Begley and how often we'd be likely to need to take him in order to keep his coat a bit shorter and more manageable?

Thank you x

Beau is a sheltie/collie cross and has long thick sheltie type fur, which is a pain in the bum cos it gets matted and gets loads of stuff stuck in it.

He's fine being brushed thankfully, but I do usually take him to be completely clipped once a year because he gets so hot in the summer.

Dogs often act completely differently with the groomer when you're not around. I know Beau does, when I'm there he whinges and wines but as soon as I am out of the room, he's calm again. So it might be something worth considering.

You could buy some clippers yourself to get rid of the worst bits, but try and desensitise him to the clippers beforehand. Or I know you can get those hair thinning things for people which have a blade in (I know what I mean) so you might be able to use that on him?

Does he like being stroked? Have you tried a rubber grooming glove? If you cut out the worst of the matts and then use one of those it might do the trick.

Try pm'ing Amy (lil angel) as she is a groomer :flowers:

Edited by merledogs

My brother's girlfriend has a collie and he hates being groomed. He also hates being bathed and dried so hes great fun. I suggested they introduced him to a furminator as its great for getting the undercoat out and suprisingly he now loves it. Anything more matted than can be unravelled with fingers is best to be cut out with a pair of scissors. I usually have to cut around his bum and knickers but did comment last time that he wasnt half as matted as previously as they were now able to brush him. It might be an idea to get him professionally groomed so hes completely matt free and then start introducing the furminator as his hair wont be tangled so it wont hurt him.

Professional groomers are used to nervous dogs. I use a body noose and neck noose to secure the dog on the table. So even if they try to snap they cant get at me. I always carry muzzles just in case but have rarely had to use them. If you do decide to go down that route do you think Begley would be more relaxed being groomed in the house rather than at a salon? I have actually found that dogs are different with owners around compared to when they are not. Some are much better when the owner is in the room where as others are better without as they realise Mum isnt going to come save them and they stand still.

My clippers are very quiet but were £140 for the priviledge.

This is the setup I use:-

RodBC19-10-09003.jpg

Edited by lil_angel

Thanks both x

Alex, when you get him clipped, roughly how long does that last before his coat is long enough to get to a difficult length again? I'm just trying to get a feel for how often we might need to do get him done to keep on top of things. Is there any special sort of clipping that this sort of coat should have or is it just shaving (honestly, I'm a total noob, I have no clue!).

He loves to be stroked, can never have enough of it and is even reasonably happy for me to finger brush him but I tried the glove and he just knows it's a brushing device and does a runner :rolleyes:

I'd be terrified to clip him myself, I'm sure I'd either make him look a right wally or do it wrong and hurt him. I have some clippers I do Dave's hair with but his comfort and appearance are obviously much less important than Begley's (plus he has less hair) :laugh:

Amy - We got him a furminator but we didn't really get on with it, I can't quite remember why but I think it was quite pully on his fur. I'll give it another go though and see how we get on :) I like the idea of the noose, perhaps I should ask around some local groomers and see how they deal with scared/wiggly/snappy dogs. I know our vets do grooming so I might start there.

I think he'd be better being groomed elsewhere and by someone else. Begs is a bit odd - he arrived very scared and wouldn't come near us but we found for a while he was more outgoing with strangers and/or outside the house. So I think he would actually behave better for someone else. I'm not sure he'd be any less scared, but I think he might be on best behavior for a new person.

Alex, when you get him clipped, roughly how long does that last before his coat is long enough to get to a difficult length again? I'm just trying to get a feel for how often we might need to do get him done to keep on top of things. Is there any special sort of clipping that this sort of coat should have or is it just shaving (honestly, I'm a total noob, I have no clue!).

I have him shaved right back so he's a skinhead :laugh: :wub:

BEFORE

snow4.jpg

AFTER

1-35.jpg

You can't see on the photo, but on the back of his legs and his tail the fur is really long.

It grows back by the time I have him clipped the following year, but not as long as if I skip a year. For it to get to difficult length again, probably six or seven months I guess. I didn't have him done this year so he's longer than he usually is. :flowers:

I'd say twice a year would be good - once in the spring to have a full shave and then a tidy up and trim in autumn just to take the longer bits off cos he'll need a warmer coat in winter.

Edited by merledogs

Aww bless him :laugh:

Twice a year doesn't sound too bad really. Overall it's got to be less stressful for him than me attempting to brush him every few days. Plus he'd be so much more comfortable in between.

Not that it matters but what sort of amount do you generally pay for Beau Alex?