UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

What Birds Do You Have In Your Garden?

Mommy Bear

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A billion sparrows scoffing my chicken feed :rolleyes: Joined by blackbirds, starlings, wood pigeons, collared doves, robins and in the summer we had a visiting sparrowhawk that would sit in a tree eyeing up my baby Orpingtons & Cochins but it stood no chance against Bridget & Francesca Brahma who threatened to tear it limb from limb if it dared touch their babies!

Since we got chickens we don't seem to get as many wild birds, dunno if that's a co-incidence. I've tried changing the food I put out on the table and in hangers, but it doesn't make any difference. We do have wrens though :wub:

The others seem to be just mainly bluetits and big fat pigeons. We used to get those beautiful green birds, they are quite long and skinny with a yellowish head and always hang about in big gangs. Greenfinches maybe? And I've seen the occasional Jay. And I can hear woodpeckers in the woods behind, but they don't come in the garden.

I've taken to bird feeding/watching since we lost our last cat [never liked to encourage the bird in before].

Regular visitirs are;

Robin

Sparrows

Starlings [noisy greedy sods]

Greenfinches

Goldfinches [very pretty]

Pigeons [wood and town or whatever they're called]

Collared doves

Magpies

Blue tits

Coal tits

Great tits [very occasional]

Chaffinches

and my favourite cos I'd never seen them until recently- Bullfinches

I also have a resident pair of Blackbirds

Next door have bats in their eaves so I get to see them at dusk. I know they're not birds but they fly so...:rolleyes:

We've always had sparrows hanging out in our rather overgrown hedge but we'd not had much luck getting them to come in for food. Until we bought a new feeder a few weeks back and since then we've had sparrows, blue tits, great tits, a female blackbird, a robin and woodpigeons visiting regularly. I was very happy to see a dunnock join them recently and this morning we had out first visits from a starling and a pair of collared doves. Last year we had a fieldfare too :biggrin:

We have so many different ones I hope I don't miss anything out! :rolleyes:

Sparrows

Blackbirds

Thrushes

Great Spotted Woodpeckers

Green Woodpeckers

Pied Wagtails

Blue Tits

Long Tailed Tits

Great Tits

Chaffinches

Pheasants

Collared Doves

Wood Pigeons

Greenfinches

Jackdaws

Crows

Ravens

Magpies

Robins

Wrens

Starlings

Goldfinches

Redwings

Magpies

Sparrowhawks(overhead)!

Buzzards (ditto)

We even have a Moorhen here every morning.

We have a Heron drop into the field next door

And what is the most exciting is NUTHATCHES :elefant: We have three come all at once at the back of the house where we they feed off the nuts in the feeder.

I'm not very good at identifying them all.

My neighbour feeds the littlies in hanging feeders which are protected from the squirrels and big birds, and I feed the biggies and the squirrels.

I can't identify most of the small ones which go in his garden, except for blue tits, sparrows and robins.

In my feeder which is a large plastic dish tied to the top of the arbour at the top of the garden, so all comers are welcome, I get :

Magpies

Wood pigeons

The occasional starling

Blackbirds

Thrushes.

Collared doves (my favourites :wub: )

The other day I saw some sort of woodpecker at the bottom of the garden.

I had a Herbert sitting on the fence yesterday :wub:

I buy a huge 11 kilo sack of bird food from Costco for about £7 so they get that, plus the fat balls, plus peanuts and I also put hazelnuts (shell on and off) out for the squirrels.

I've been doing a roaring trade with the recent cold weather, and have been clearing the snow off the bird feeder so they can get at the feed.

I have also been pouring boiling water on the frozen bird bath so they have something to drink.

Edited by merledogs