UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Special Needs Dogs

purple_mog

Hey all,

I have been mulling this over for some time and wondering if it might be my 2011 project...In the US part of the DDEAF project is that they list, coordinate advice, homechecks and transport for deaf dogs, and often blind ones too.

There seems to be nothing similar in the UK and the few sites I have found are about individual deaf dogs, not much info and generally are out of date.

I am contemplating trying to host a central "listing" for deaf/blind/sensory impaired dogs that will also offer information, links to other sites (Barry Eaton and DDEAF of course) and to the few UK based discussion groups we have.

Does this sounds crazy in the extreme, not needed, already out there and I haven't found it????

I have the bonus of an in-house web designer (Sam) who I'm hoping will also help coordinate and update it all.

Thoughts very welcome even if its to tell me not to be so silly :laugh:

I think it is a good idea but do many people go looking for a special needs dog.

They may come across one on a general site and be attracted to it but have not set out to look for one.

you would need to look at how you would market/advertise/ link to the site.

I agree its a great idea , re marketing Facebook and Twitter would be very helpful in getting the links out "there"

Make plans about exactly what you will do when people start contacting you about deaf/blind dogs in urgent situations, and stick to them firmly. Otherwise you may find that you have accidentally set up a rescue... :rolleyes::laugh:

Also, make everyone put details on by filling in a form. Store the results of the form in a database. Don't let them send freeform emails, and above all, don't give them a telephone number! :laugh:

It's a great idea. I have tried searching for that kind of uk resource in the past but the only site i found at the time was about dalmations. It was a while ago tho.I have thought when it comes to getting another dog i would like to home a deaf dog, and think there must be other people out there looking to take on something that specific too.Brilliant idea, all credit to ya.

thanks for all the feedback - it may take a while to happen but I would like to see where it goes. Its partly because there really are peeps like us who look for special needs dogs, but also there's just nothing up to date and current in the UK at the moment and some of the advice is very patchy :)

I'll let you know and be asking for contributions of ideas soon!