UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Positive Thoughts Appreciated

Laura_E

A couple of weeks ago whilst walking back from the park with Tess I noticed that she was limping quite badly. At the time I thought she had pulled a muscle or something in her bid to keep up with Roxy (our 12 month old foster dog). However, as the day went on she seemed to get progressively worse. So I rang the vet first thing Monday morning and took her in for an appointment and the conclusion was that she had injured her cruciate ligament.

The vet gave us some painkillers and said to rest her leg and just go for a couple of 10 minute walks a day until there was an improvement. So for the past fortnight we have been doing this, but there has been no improvement, and over the last week she seems to have regressed. The other day we walked to the top of the road and it was clear that she couldn't go on much further, so I had to carry her back home. Then tonight when I got in from work, she got up to greet me and her legs splayed out beneath her and she couldn't get up. mecry.gif

I rang the vets and we have an appointment first thing in the morning. But I am now really worried. She has managed to take a few steps tonight, but really struggles to get up. Plus, two separate people have told me that they had to have their dogs put-to-sleep after they injured their cruciate ligaments. The research that I have done leads me to believe that this is the worst case scenario, but Tess is an elderly dog so I don't know if this puts her at more risk. I really can't bear the thought of losing her. mecry.gif

So if you could spare some good thoughts for my lovely little girl, I'd really appreciate it. flowers.gif

Edited by Laura_E

Oh no Laura, what a worry for you. I haven't any experience with cruciate injuries, but I have heard of lots of dogs that have got through cruciate problems either with management or surgery. I'm sure there will be others here with direct experience and advice.

Sending huge hugs for you and your special girl Group_Hug_Emoticon.gif

Loads of good thoughts for Tess :wub: :wub: If it helps, we've got a dog in our agility club who has just returned after having had surgery on her cruciate, and I've known of a couple more dogs who had to have surgery, and a bit of a lengthy rehab process, but after that they were fine. Let us know okay? :flowers:

:GroupHug: :GroupHug: for you & Tess.

Our dear Misty, now at Rainbow Bridge, snapped her cruciate when she was over 10. She made an excellent recovery aftr her operation, despite it being one of the messiest breaks the vet had seen. That was 2 weeks after we were advised to avoid any non-essential surgery de to her heart murmur.

Thinking of you today

:GroupHug: :GroupHug: :GroupHug: both of mine have knackered their cruciates (but they were young), i do know of an older dog.. i think she was 12 who had both cruciates done and she was fine, she had the banding operation done and i think she went on to live until 16 and it was something unrelated to her legs that resulted in her being PTS. depending on your finances / if your pet insurance would cover, if an op is not deemed suitable there are braces you can buy now, unfortunately there is only one company in the u.k that make them.... i think it is orthopets.

So sorry about your lovely little Tess

Holly was 12 when she had a cruciate op. After a few days of crate rest she started to walk normally.

She is 14 now and you would never think anything had been done, she is as mad as ever. We just stopped doing agility

Barbara

Thank you all for your kind words.

I took Tess to the vets this morning and the cheeky little minx walked in like there was nothing wrong with her, wagging her tail furiously! rolleyes.gif

The vet took another look at her leg and said that there was quite a lot of swelling around her knees, but as she is putting weight on it, she doesn't think that surgery is necessary at this stage. She also checked her other legs, as she is a little wobbly, and said that she is probably suffering from a bit of arthritis. She suggested putting her on metacam for the next month and giving her plenty of rest.

They took bloods to make sure that her kidneys were ok to be on long term metacam, and everything came back fine. So I will just have to monitor her for the time being and hope that things improve on their own, otherwise I will have to look into surgery- which I don't really want to put her through at her age. So I'm just keeping my fingers crossed.

Thanks again for thinking of her. flowers.gif