UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

December Random Merry Fumblings

merledogs

Yup MIL's phone was off until they got to the gate - she rang to say she was boarding! Yayyyyyyy and I've just checked the airport board and it shows her plane as departed :biggrin: apprently it was a nightmare journey to the airport but at least she got there and has escaped the snow.

Meantime I just had another phone call which has set me all of a wibbly doo dah all over again :rolleyes: :laugh: I've been offered a chance to switch hospitals to have my eye surgery much sooner - it will now be at a brand new purpose built treatment centre rather than at the big hospital, I'll meet the consultant for my preop meeting and he'll be the same one that actually does the operation, it looks a fabulous place and best of all free parking! Now for the wibbly bit ... instead of the op being end of April/May time it will be as soon as early Jan for my preop meeting with surgery end of Jan/beginning Feb *gulp*.

So wheres the problem ?

Both are going to operate.

Which ones more like a hotel and serves good food ?

I'd get the eye done and over with before spring if you can Snow..saves you worrying about it for a few more months anyway! Yes, I'm afraid vodka does go off, but I have a very strong stomach, so if you'd care to parcel it up and send it to me..I'll give you my address... :laugh: (seriously, I don't see how it could, they use alcohol to preserve stuff, don't they?)

Thank you for asking :flowers: - my mum is doing suprisingly well physically. She's gradually got more movement in her arms and legs and is able to walk a short distance with help. Her memory is getting a bit better but she has some very odd memory/understanding related problems! For example she thinks that the room that she walks to for lunch is upstairs, but actually it's only next door to her hospital room. She will be allowed out of hospital for a few hours for my grandma's funeral next week then depending on assessments/available support services might be home soon after Christmas.

I'm really pleased your mum is making progress, that's brilliant news :GroupHug:

Alex, can you leave them some bad feedback?

Snow, from my experience when I worked for a laser surgery and lens exchange clinic, the multifocal lenses with concentric circles tend to give quite a lot of night glare as the light catches the edge of the circles and cause it to scatter, whereas accommodating lenses are a bit pants really and I never had a patient come back happy and 100% spex free. If I were you, I'd go for both eyes monofocal and just get some simple reading spex.

Just out of interest, are you short sighted or long sighted in your good eye?

Snow, from my experience when I worked for a laser surgery and lens exchange clinic, the multifocal lenses with concentric circles tend to give quite a lot of night glare as the light catches the edge of the circles and cause it to scatter, whereas accommodating lenses are a bit pants really and I never had a patient come back happy and 100% spex free. If I were you, I'd go for both eyes monofocal and just get some simple reading spex.

Just out of interest, are you short sighted or long sighted in your good eye?

Ooooooo thanks for that Jayne most helpful indeed :flowers: its the scatter from the cataract that stops me being happy driving at night so I most definately don't want to have that after the op if I can help it. Good eye is short sighted -8.00 bad eye is -7.50 I've worn toric lenses in the past but that was in the days before you could get disposables and mine cost me over £600 for a single pair and I couldn't afford to replace them so went back to glasses. I know nowadays you can get all day torics in my prescription range and was hoping that I could get the 30 pairs all done to match my "good" eye effectively giving me 60 days supply for the same price. Presumably I'd get reading glasses to match the good eye and bad eye with the contact in so I'd have the contact in but also wear glasses for reading?

Yep that should be doable, they could work that out at a sight test. They would still get you to take the lens out, but then pop it in at the end to check reading vision.

Only prob you would have by not having both eyes done, is if you were to have a problem with the lens, you wouldn't be able to wear spex as you would more than likely get double vision due to the vast difference between the eyes. In contact lenses you will be fine, but spex with that much difference between the eyes are a big no no!

Yep that should be doable, they could work that out at a sight test. They would still get you to take the lens out, but then pop it in at the end to check reading vision.

Only prob you would have by not having both eyes done, is if you were to have a problem with the lens, you wouldn't be able to wear spex as you would more than likely get double vision due to the vast difference between the eyes. In contact lenses you will be fine, but spex with that much difference between the eyes are a big no no!

Eeek .... hmmm maybe I better get a set for both eyes before the surgery just to make 100% sure I get on Ok with them - although I have previously so it should be fine mind you I imagine that I could manage without now and again as it wouldnt be a whole lot different to how I am now with the bad eye and a good eye.

Like I say you should be fine with the contacts, likewise post op without spex. I had a lady come in about 6 months ago for a post cataract eye test, she had only had one eye done, so was +6 in her untreated eye, and 0 in her treated eye. After lots of manipulation of the prescription and prisms and stuff, I ended up referring her to have the other eye operated on as she refused contact lenses, which would have solved all problems!!

Evening :wavey: Good luck with whatever you decide Snow :flowers:

We are due snow tomorrow :unsure: Whilst one half of me really wants loads of it (I don't need to drive anywhere), the other half of me says I don't want it since its our Xmas party tomorrow night and it will give me the chance to get to grill know Kennys new girlfriend better, and they won't be able to make it if we have more :rolleyes: