UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Has Anyone Done Ou Courses

Being a bit of a thicko Squirrel ( handful of crappy GCSEs to my name ) I have decided its time to get myself an educ-ma-cation laugh.gif

I have signed up for an entry level course worth 15 points called Making Sense of the Arts and I am rather excited :jumpy:

Would love to hear others experiences and hints and tips biggrin.gif

What you will study

This course helps you to make sense of the different and exciting disciplines of poetry, history and art. The course is structured around the theme of popular protest and uses lots of interesting and varied examples to help you get to grips with the arts whilst at the same time developing the skills to become a confident learner.

First, you will examine the theme of popular protest with an initial discussion of a First World War poem, Anthem for Doomed Youth by Wilfred Owen, and this will be used as a reference point throughout the chapter. You will then go on to study a diverse range of poetry with an emphasis on protest.

Next, you will look at the history of the demand for democracy (government by the people) in Britain from around 1815, focusing on the Chartist movement as one important example of this. You will be introduced to a small number of the many debates surrounding the interpretation of Chartism and the relevance of the subject today.

Following on from poetry and history, you will consider the relationship between art and popular protest. This section introduces the study of the visual arts and you will examine the work of a selection of Turner Prize winners. You will be able to look at many different types of art and explore the techniques used by art historians and art critics when they analyse a work of art.

Finally, in the two online chapters you will continue your study of art and popular protest, looking at the Suffragette movement in Britain in the early twentieth century and exploring the art and poetry of the period. You will also have the opportunity to gain skills such as working with podcasts, using online forums and searching the internet for information relating to the subject. This experience will provide you with a gentle introduction to using a computer to support your study, and will equip you with the basic computing skills you will need for the next step in your studies.

I studied my Psychology degree through the OU. I am now studying towards a Masters in Pscychology, though I am not sure which of two avenues to take yet. Heading towards the research one so that I can have the optio of doing a PhD.

I disliked school and was never going to be a grade A person let alone with the added bonus of stars! However, I do enjoy the OU, though have yet to get myself into a study routine. I hope you enjoy it as much as I have done (and in some cases more so :laugh: )

M

That looks interesting (and a bit hard for my rusty old brain).

I signed up for a creative writing course with the OU last year, but I'm ashamed to say I was full of enthusiasm at first but didn't keep up to it. If I had done a study timetable like Murtle suggests, I might have stuck with it. I am an academic lightweight though, I'm sure you will be fine and really enjoy it :flowers:

Sounds great, good for you and let us know how it goes.

I'd like to get myself organised enough one day to do a history course. I went to a very academic school and did O levels (you can tell how long ago that was!) and A levels but didn't do a degree. I do rather like learning for learnings sake though.

I did an OU course many years ago, that where I met my OH. It did not go the way I wanted so I left. Keith kept it up and got his honours degree and enjoyed it.

I enjoyed what I did but do not regret leaving

Good luck, it can be great fun

Barbara

My mum got her honours degree this way. I'll ask her for any tips as it's a long haul doing a full degree and I'm sure she experienced all the highs and lows ( I can remember a fair few of them too!)

Best of luck with it, I think it's a great idea :flowers:

Sounds great, good for you and let us know how it goes.

I'd like to get myself organised enough one day to do a history course. I went to a very academic school and did O levels (you can tell how long ago that was!) and A levels but didn't do a degree. I do rather like learning for learnings sake though.

The OU gently shoves you into some form of organisation, even if like me it is being organised enough to do it all last minute!

It partially depends if you want to do it for learning, get good grades, or complete the course!

I wanted to learn and complete the course, it was only when it was too late did my grades concern me!

I am even more excited now :jumpy: how far in advance to the course start date do the materials normally arrive ?

I also have my eye on a ethics course which would be very interesting and professionally useful for Dogstar

Long enough for me to get excited about them, then to store them and loose them usually :laugh:

ethics in real life

What you will study

The focus of the course is on exploring some aspects of life that bring forward difficult ethical problems, and how to think through those problems to a solution. It's divided into five blocks of work.

Block 1: Professional Ethics

Many jobs (especially those known as 'the professions') have a code of ethics. These codes perform many functions, one of which is to guide people's ethical decision making. Does this mean we can do without thinking for ourselves? This block explores the nature and limits of this approach.

Block 2: Ethical Theory

If we do need to think for ourselves, how do we go about it? This block draws on the best philosophical writing to explore some of the frameworks of ethical decision making. It considers why appealing to such frameworks might be necessary (or why they might simply be more trouble than they are worth).

Block 3: Health and Social Care: Euthanasia and End-of-life Issues?

There are some very difficult ethical decisions involved in the provision of health care. This block looks at how we identify an ethical issue in health care, and then at one particular structure for deciding on practical action. You'll then apply what you have learned to the difficult areas of treatment decisions, care at the end of life, and issues around patient dignity.

Block 4: Using Other People's Words: The Ethics of Plagiarism and Copyright Infringement

Should ideas be free for other people to use? Or, if someone has an idea, do they own it, as they might own their car? Can they bequeath their ownership to others, and, if so, for how long? Is there such a thing as the theft of ideas? The ethics of plagiarism and copyright infringement has become a much-discussed topic recently, particularly with the growth of the internet. This block will explore these and related issues.

Block 5: Business Responsibility

Anyone who runs a company that is owned by its shareholders is running an operation using other people's money. Does this mean that they are under an obligation to do their best by those people? Or do they have a broader responsibility to society? This block explores the 'shareholder' and the 'stakeholder' models of business responsibility.

You will learn

The basics of ethical theory and its application in practical areas of life.

Vocational relevance

This course is of particular vocational relevance if you are engaged in ethical decision making, including those who serve on Ethics Committees and so on.

Edited by Happylittlegreensquirrel