UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Plt (Prednoleucatropin) (Sp?) Instead Of Rimadyl

Jeanne

Joe has severe arthritis and is struggling a bit now, he is currently on full dose of Rimadyl. Nick our vet has said he could change to PLT but this is frowned on nowadays. I remember years ago one of our greyhounds was on PLT when her back legs were getting very weak and it made a huge improvement to her.

I suppose the side effects of PLT make it less favourable than before but wonder if it is worth the risk.

Has anyone had similar situations and what did you decide?

Lily took PLT tablets for a couple of years. Metacam made her vomit and rimadyl made her very depressed - so it was a case of what to try next.

Lily did very well with PLT, apart from her coat thining a bit - she really was quite lively and happy which I interpreted as meaning she was in less pain. When her digestive system eventually couldn't tolerate them she moved onto codeine.

Edited by Karen

Barty has courses of PLT for his bulging disc problem and has been having them for a couple of years. They contain about 1mg of prednisolone so it is a very low dose of steroid but he does still have slight side effects - gets very hungry and drinks a little more.

Rimadyl also has what can be severe side effects and they do have a long term effect on the liver/kidneys. I think PLT is frowned on nowadays because it is supposed to be old-fashioned. The NSAID's were supposed to be a wonderful saviour of our dogs but tbh they aren't and I actually prefer to give PLT than Rimadyl.

Anne, Barty & Chloe

I had a similar dilemma with Ben who had HD, all the usual NSAID's affected his liver and made him quite ill, he's now been on Tramadol for about 6 months and is doing great on them. I don't know why more vet's aren't using them as they have no effects on the internal organ's, it does make your dog a bit dopey for the first week or so, but after that they're fine. There's also the advantage of them being ridiculously cheap, I pay £8 for 100.

My dalmatian has just gone onto Metacam but the vet said that if it wasn't enough he could have Tramadol as well.

Many years ago my retriever went onto PLT when Metacam was no longer enough. She improved a lot and had no side effects from it.

The vet explained that it was not recommended long term but at thirteen years old quality was more important than quantity. Shera lived until she was 15 years old - a good age for a retriever.

• 1 month later...

My old lab was on PLT for over a year and appeared to be comfortable on it. Metacam upset her stomach and as she was crippled with arthritis when I adopted her at age 10 it was always a question of keeping her comfortable and giving her a quality of life. She only had mild/moderate side effects with the PLT although on maximum dose in her last months and was mobile and comfortable until she crossed the Bridge at the age of fourteen and a half in October.

Sally,

• 2 months later...

Scruffy was diagnosed with severe HD at 7months old and was originally put on metacam but soon became immune to it and was put on PLT's at about 18months old. She had a small dose 1mg I think and was on that continuously until she was 5yrs old. Vet wasn't too thrilled at leaving her on it that length of time but it seemed to work for her.

Downside was the hunger/weight gain which we are still trying to shift after 2yrs off PLT

I say if it works go with it. Every dog is different and reacts differently :)

Good Luck