UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Some Updates From Sri Lanka

Happylittlegreensquirrel

Last weeks update from Mo and the team in Sri Lanka

The regular Dogstar team of Aravinda and me have been joined by volunteer Paula - and boy are we glad to have her working with us! Paula (who was a volunteer at MEF earlier this year) will be with us for 3 months working from the Dogstar house/clinic. From 19-22 November we were also joined by vet Dr. Manjula and assistant Bandara who work for TAPA (Tsunami Animal People Alliance), so were were able to run sterilisation clinics from the house during that time - 16 sterilisations were carried out, and luckily Dr. Manjula is very experienced at operating on young dogs (around 3 months of age). Here are some of the patients the team worked with over the 5 days:

Dogstar+patients+18+November+2010+025.jpg

Dogstar+patients+18+November+2010+018.jpg

Above are pups Luna and Penny, and Luna pre-op with Dogstar volunteer Paula

Despite all our efforts in providing free sterilisation, we are still finding (or having left for us....) litters of unwanted pups. 4 young pups were left at Hiriwadunna in pouring rain about a month ago, but luckily our local foster mum 'Mrs J' took them in. Luna and Penny are shown above and their sisters Millie and Ruby below. All 4 pups have now found homes - it seems that offering sterilised/vaccinated pups is successful as we have rehomed 6 over the past weekend! (see more pics of Luna's rehoming later....)

Dogstar+clinics+20%252C+21+and+22+November+2010+036.jpg

Not all the surgical cases were for sterilisation - one man brought along his lovely dog for removal of a large lipoma (the growth on her side) which had been steadily growing over the past couple of years! Dr. Manjula was able to remove this and the dog is recovering well. Here she is pre- and during surgery..

Dogstar+clinics+20%252C+21+and+22+November+2010+015.jpg

Dogstar+clinics+20%252C+21+and+22+November+2010+021.jpg

Resident Dogstar cat and house manager Dennis is never very far from the action... Here he is playing with a litter of pups left at the house 10 days ago. 2 of the pups were sterilised by Dr. Manjula - a couple of days later they were taken to lovely new homes. Below are Toffee (brown) and Honey (cream) with their new owners.... The Dogstar team will visit every couple of weeks to check on their progress. Dennis is also the proud owner of some new toys (hope that keeps him out of mischief - but I doubt it...) courtesy of recent Dogstar volunteer vet Dr. Kate (thanks Dr. Kate!) - see photo below.

Dogstar+clinics+20%252C+21+and+22+November+2010+025.jpg

Dogstar+clinics+20%252C+21+and+22+November+2010+049.jpg

Dogstar+clinics+20%252C+21+and+22+November+2010+063.jpg

Dogstar+clinics+20%252C+21+and+22+November+2010+039.jpg

You'll know that Dogstar try to regularly visit a number of local temples; but with the emphasis during Sam's last visit to Sri Lanka with volunteer vets being on surgery, we'd been unable to visit quite as often as we would have liked. On our visit to Kalugalla this weekend we found that one of the dogs there - Harvey- was in pretty poor condition. Dr. Manjula decided he was not well enough for an injection of ivermectin for his bad skin so we treated orally and Paula, Aravinda and I had a lovely walk to the temple on Sunday to give Harvey extra food. That will now be done every couple of days until Harvey is back to his correct weight (hopefully I'll also be back to my correct weight after the exercise!) and so we can keep a check on his skin.

The temple is in a beautiful location - photo below is of the graves of some of the previous monks from the temple.

Dogstar+clinics+20%252C+21+and+22+November+2010+043.jpg

Edited by Happylittlegreensquirrel

One of the best jobs we had over the weekend was the rehoming of lovely Luna who left Mrs. J's foster care (see final pic of them together - below). Paula and I took her to her new owner in a beautiful location just outside Kegalle. We had a very steep climb up to the house...... here's Paula getting a helping hand from Dogstar driver Sampath, a photo of Luna with her new owner who clearly adores her already, and the view back to the house. Of course Sampath (who is almost as naughty as Dennis....) couldn't resist trying out the stream for good measure.....

Dogstar+clinics+20%252C+21+and+22+November+2010+050.jpg

Dogstar+clinics+20%252C+21+and+22+November+2010+053.jpg

Dogstar+clinics+20%252C+21+and+22+November+2010+056.jpg

Dogstar+clinics+20%252C+21+and+22+November+2010+059.jpg

Dogstar+clinics+20%252C+21+and+22+November+2010+062.jpg

As usual, it wasn't all dogs for Dogstar! Luna's new owner asked if Dr Manjula could sterilise her two female cats so they were overnight guests at the Dogstar house. Both recovered very well and are now back at home.

Dogstar+clinics+20%252C+21+and+22+November+2010+066.jpg

Today we were delighted to have a visit from Dogstar supporter Julie Soldatic from Australia who came to Sri Lanka a week or so ago for her wedding! Julie came to visit the elephants at MEF, then took a parcel of goodies up to the Dogstar house to see our HQ. Current resident pup at the house - Fudge (who is adorable) was pleased with her new toy - which will keep her amused following the rehoming of her 2 sisters over the weekend. Fudge will stay with us at least until her sterilisation sheduled for next month.... Julie also visited Randeniya temple to see her sponsor dog Fugee and the two soon became good friends!

Julie+Soldatic+visit+23+November+2010+001.jpg

Julie+Soldatic+visit+23+November+2010+004.jpg

Julie+Soldatic+visit+23+November+2010+005.jpg

Finally (yes I promise this is the last paragraph!), Cleo at Randeniya temple (a dog we've tried to catch on numerous occasions and failed!) gave birth to 2 beautiful pups 3 days ago. We will now visit with extra food every couple of days for Cleo and to ensure that the pups are used to being handled and can then be scheduled in for sterilisation in a few months. Luckily, we found out that young monk Wimala at the temple is now able to handle Cleo so this will definitely be her last litter....

Julie+Soldatic+visit+23+November+2010+008.jpg

That's the round up for now - hope you've enjoyed reading about and seeing photos of our recent activity here. Thanks to everyone for their support.

Mo x

When you get the time or ask someone else to do it, can you put up how Dog Star started please?

I know a lot of people are very interested in how rescues started, this one in particular because of were it is and what it has achieved. Once the story is up please can it be stickied so it is easy to find.

When you get the time or ask someone else to do it, can you put up how Dog Star started please?

I know a lot of people are very interested in how rescues started, this one in particular because of were it is and what it has achieved. Once the story is up please can it be stickied so it is easy to find.

I have made a thread here

How the Dogstar Foundation started