UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

So Long, Farewell, Auf Wiedersehen, Goodnight,

Maria

This song has been going round in my head for the last few days :(

We rushed Smudge to our vets hospital this morning, as she was very flat, didn't want to move and screamed when she was picked up. After various inconclusive tests they suggested an urgent referral to the RCVS who had treated her back in May.

We took a very flat Smudge to the RCVS this afternoon, and was met by the lovely vet who cared for her back in May. I cannot praise her enough for her compassion and thoughtfulness today - unlike our experience with the receptionist at our vet's hospital, who, despite Smudge being an urgent referral, preferred to debate whether this was a 'new' claim or an ongoing one, and what we should be paying today :angry: I will be complaining to the Practise Manager when I feel able........

The RCVS were again wonderful :wub: Smudge had had a big bleed into her stomach, either from the existing adrenal tumour or possibly another one - we could have left her there for more fluids / potential op, but she would have more likely died on the table.......her tummy was huge and mishappened . Until this morning her quality of life has been wonderful- she's had 3 holidays since her poor prognosis - and I will have the lovely memory of her snuggling into my knees last night for the first time forever :wub:

We decided it was kinder to let her go. We were not prepared for a bouncy Smudge to come back into the room :ohmy: , but the vet explained that this was due to the extra fluids they had given her.

One last short walk round the grounds and then she was again getting panty and flattening. and we came back to a tub full of yummy food to give her - we both had one last smuggle,(our word for a Smudge cuddle) and then she went to sleep peacefully with our arms round her . It was very quick, and dignified :wub:

We were taken to a quiet room while they prepared a little coffin for her (we are arranging our own cremation), and then they let us out to the car park so we didn't have to go through reception, and then brought her out to the car. As we left the lovely vet sobbed with us.

Boysie came home and said goodbye to her in his own way :wub:

Anyway, back to the song, these lines seem to say it all.....

So long, farewell

Auf Wiedersehen, goodnight

I hate to go and leave this pretty sight

So long, farewell

Auf Weidersehen, goodbye

I leave and heave

A sigh and say goodbye

Goodbye

The sun has gone

To bed and so must I

So long, farewell

Auf Weidersehen, goodbye