UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Is This Ibs?

Mags

There's a thing called 'referred pain' where if the nerves are connected, or run nearby, you can imagine you have pain in one place, when in reality its somewhere else.

But then on the other hand, digestive problems can cause arthritis like pains. I used to have real difficulty going downstairs in the mornings, and other aches and pains. But I went gluten free 3 months ago (they say the tests are negative for coeliac disease, and I'm just wheat and/or gluten sensitive, but the symptoms are the same) and I can now skip downstairs at any time of day. I also don't get horrible stomach cramps, and my headaches are disappearing, so worth the huge inconvenience!

But great that the consultant is taking it seriously, and looking properly for the causes, so hopefully they will have worked it out, and you'll be getting the correct treatment very soon.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I had my camera work done last week. Total doddle as I slept the whole way through :biggrin:

After sleeping off the anaesthetic (sp - I've tried all variations lol) a nurse told me that I have gastritis, gave me a prescription for 3 sets of tablets and an appointment with the Consultant on 9th May and sent me on my way. I had to ask him what gastritis is (inflammation of stomach lining) and got no further information. So I have become great friends with Google.

I discovered a whole load of food that I should avoid and not a whole lot that will be beneficial. There's a very good health shop in town so I will pop in there on Friday and get some advice.

I had CT scan done today but the results of that won't be available for a couple of weeks.

So far the tablets are dulling the pain a bit but not curing it but it's only been a week.

A group of us are going to New York next Tuesday until Saturday so I will just relax and enjoy myself and start making further queries when I return.

I discovered a whole load of food that I should avoid and not a whole lot that will be beneficial. There's a very good health shop in town so I will pop in there on Friday and get some advice.

Glad that they didn't find anything awful but what a pain that you've been more or less to your own devices until May!

Just thought that I'd add that although there are masses of foods that give different people digestive problems, not everyone will have the same problem with those foods. So don't be tempted to cut out big food groups (like wheat, dairy etc) as you can end up with a bit of an unbalanced diet. What about trying a food diary to see if you can work out if you have trigger foods?

Am always a fan of using natural/holistic methods if possible, so IMO the health shop is a good idea

Yep I'd much prefer to stay away from drugs.

You're quite right Karen. I've been experimenting with different things because I didn't want to rule everything out. I've been using Soya milk for a while and notice a difference with that rather than ordinary milk. And since reading that wheat could be a trigger, I've stopped eating Special K and again notice a difference. I'm fine with eggs but can't touch cheese.

It will all be learning as I go along

• 3 weeks later...

The tablets seem to have really helped and I have been virtually pain free most days :biggrin: I haven't finished them yet cos I forget to take them sometimes :rolleyes:

I rang the hospital yesterday to see about results of my CT scan to be told that I have an appointment on 28th March. I was thinking May was a long wait.

Hopefully I can have a good chat with Doc and get some information (and understand it all)